• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transport Log Officer

jonstarks

Inactive
Reaction score
I looked through this site and various other military websites, as well as recruiters about when I enlisted  but I have been unable to find out what the daily demands of a transport log officer at the LT postion are.  I was wondering if any transport log officers would be able to inform me what what a typical day includes.

Thank You

:cdn: Suppoort our Troops  :cdn:

Another question in regards to transport.  Where does the logistics portion of transport end and say the infantry part start?  For example on overseas deployment when the troops are fighting on the front lines and a reshipment of supplies are needed.  Where does the infantry part of transport come into play? or do I basically set up all the vehicles with the required supplies and the drivers in the infantry take over?

Thanks

:salute: support our troops  :salute:

I can't answer the first part of your question, but I might be able to offer some insight into the second.  Resupply runs are typically organized by the sub-units CQMS...IE if the next resupply leaving Kandahar for C Coy, C Coy CQMS will make sure all the approriate supplies are loaded on to the trucks.  Drivers for the resupply truck typically are MSE ops from the Battlegroups support element, force protection will be provided by armoured vehicles (LAVS, RG31, Coyote), manned by infantry, Armoured....  Things may have changed slightly with the Leopard 2's being deployed, but I'm not sure in what role they will be used for.

I am in no way in any position to accurately tell you what your actual involvement would be, but I believe that as the Tranport Officer, you would more than likely be involved in tasking available vehicles, drivers, fuel (if part of resupply)...

Let me qualify my explanation by stating I was a supply officer, but much of the field duties of logistics officers are common.

As a Lt in a Service Battalion Tn (or S&T) company much of your day will, in concert with your Pl WO, be involved with coordinating the activities of your troops and their vehicles. You also will be tasked to serve rotating duties in the Coy CP, manned on a 24 hour basis, and be tasked to plan road moves, dumping programs, and other admininstrative operations.

In between all this you will be looking after the welfare of your troops, such mundane things as did they get any sleep in the prior 24 hrs before being sent out again, did they shave and put on clean gotch and socks etc. Anyone ill, not performing for whatever reason? Plus have your vehicles, your raison detre, received their daily inspection, and those reqr repair or maint sent to first line EME resources for their action. Is your Pl location up to snuff, eg are the shelters ready for occupation when someone decides to lob a rocket in your general direction, are the troops ready for emergencies.

I stress in concert with your Pl WO. A good one will make your life so much easier, giving you the time to handle all the officer **** dumped on you by the OC and 2i/c. Piss a good one off, or be unfortunate to get one that is incompetant (this does happen very very occasionally) and your life will become a living hell.
There is no such thing as a typical day, just be prepared for long hours and keep a sence of humour when all else fails. Obviously a Tn Lt employed in a base setting is going to have a very different "typical" day than you.

If you have access to it Combat Service Support in Battle or whatever they are calling it these days is a good place to start. As a commissioned officer your will receive training in Field Admin in various courses you will be taking at CFSAL. Gagetown is designed to turn you into a soldier, providing you with the basics to function as a army officer in battle, Borden will train you as an Army Logistician.

Goods and services are delivered to a location desired by the customer. Usually they are transferred at a place somewhere between the "fighting" troops and your Pl's location from your trucks to those of the customer.Sometimes they could be delivered by chopper from your Bn loc to that of the customer, when we had Chinooks we practiced this a fair amount.  Sometimes they will be requested at the fighting troops location -eg a troop lift/large scale move to a new location that has exhausted the inf Bns first line resources. Or you might "dump" arty ammo at the required location, eg right to the guns. You will conduct these operations alongside Supply personnel from your unit, generally whose job it is to account for the stores, while you get them to the required location.

Back