• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Treadmill Timewasters

FH...
for the cardio it's pretty much same thing but, not the same thing as far as impact on all the joints (ie: knees). Also - perfect weather on treadmill VS real life outdoors....

So exactly why do I find it harder to run outside than on a treadmill? I can go for quite a long time on the treadmill without even breathing hard, but its not the same for running outdoors.

The environment takes it's toll..... you run on concrete, asphalt, much different than that springy carpet. you have the wind in your face, the sun (or rain) beating down on you, possibly another 10 to 30 guys imposing a cadence that's not your own.... things like that.

The treadmill is doing a lot of the work for you. The tread is moving and all you are doing is basically lifting yourself up a few inches, versus propelling yourself forward. A lot of the "stair climbers" are the same way: you push one down, the other one is pushed up. If you can, try the one's that are actually like stairs being formed in a big circle, like an escalator kinda-sorta (my brain hurts, so forgive my lame explanation). Also, try the "Jacobs Ladder" if you want an extreme upper/lower body workout. It's like the stair climber I described, but has ladder rungs going around the loop.

Again, if you use the incline ability and vary the speed, you can get an effective workout. Otherwise it's a lot less of a workout than a traditional run.

Al

Chimo said:
Did you think maybe she is trying to improve her physical condition and is doing the best she can. Perhaps being less critical and more encouraging to people "less" fit might get more into the gym.  :salute:

Gotta agree there. Why do you care? Are you trying to feed your own ego by bringing this person down?

I don't personally like the treadmill much, but for some people it's a starting point.

The treadmill is doing a lot of the work for you. The tread is moving and all you are doing is basically lifting yourself up a few inches, versus propelling yourself forward.

I understand that... but if it gets your heart rate to the same point as running outside...?

Allan Luomala said:
I think that a major part of the original intent of the initial post has been forgotten: she was walking on the treadmill, when she could have just as easily been walking on the track. MOST people I know that use the treadmill use it for the features that it has: incline ability, varying speeds, etc. If this person was using it at a "prime" time (i.e. when there are people waiting) this is a major annoyance. If there was no one waiting, not a big drama.

Let's not lose sight of the the forest for the tree's (and when he said voluptuous, I think he was probably using veiled speech for "land monster"). And being pregnant (IMO) isn't an excuse to get morbidly obese. No, I've never been pregnant, for obvious gender reasons, but if that is an acceptable excuse (pregnancy) to become obese, I will use my excessive testosterone count for an acceptable accuse to be an ignorant ******* any time the situation strikes me (it's nice to know that I'd have an actual excuse for a behavior I exhibit frequently).

Al

I agree that pregnancy is no excuse to get fat.  I'm just suggesting that perhaps there are reasons she was only walking on the treadmill.  Besides, the equipment is there for everyone, not just the hardcore.  I also agree that walking outdoors is better, but, to each their own. As I stated...better she is walking than sitting eating doughnuts. 

Again, let's look at the initial post: the man has a pet peeve. There is no room for reasoned thought and speculation when a man has a pet peeve. I have roughly 100,000 of them, so I know of what I speak. Defending someone who is described in a pet peeve isn't probably the wisest course of action, as exaggeration is a hallmark of a pet peeve.

I share his pain and frustration. Watching people lean on exercise equipment, or sit on the only mat available within a grid square when I want to do something that would actually merit using the mat (like "supermans" or actual sit-ups) are two of my latest annoyances. Please feel free to defend these people if you truly want to get into my bad books, as there is no defence for annoying a person who actually wants to make the best use of their PT time.

There, I feel better, and I didn't have to even punch my teddy bear (well, I couldn't even if I wanted to, because it is in use by my daughter, and she's chewing on it..... slowly..... FASTER honey!!!! Daddy doesn't have all night!!!).

Al

Allan Luomala said:
I share his pain and frustration. Watching people lean on exercise equipment, or sit on the only mat available within a grid square when I want to do something that would actually merit using the mat (like "supermans" or actual sit-ups) are two of my latest annoyances. Please feel free to defend these people if you truly want to get into my bad books, as there is no defence for annoying a person who actually wants to make the best use of their PT time.

Those people I wouldn't dream of defending.  If you aren't using the equipment....move away from it!  I totally agree there.  The person he described was using it, just not in the same manner most of us would.

So, as I understand this, you wouldn't feel at all slighted if a member of the CISM Run Really Far Really Fast Team was to get POd with you, because in his mind you were dogging it?  Because this person isn't Uberfitnessmeister, doesn't mean they're not entitled to use the equipment, does it?

I used to use the machines in the gym and have since bought a treadmill for my house.  Prior to that I ran in my boots and webbing.  As an older guy with tender knees, I find the tread mill invaluable.  I am not sure if the initial user in the peeve was on the machine for a set time.  Most CF gyms have a 30 min limit.  If that individual had the machine for her 30 mins, then she can walk slow, drink a slurpy, and watch her favourite soap.  The important thing is she is out to the gym. 

Walking briskly on a treadmill with a slight incline will bring a middle aged service mbr's heart rate to a moderate training level.  Face it we are an older force and we are not all CISM athletes.  The equipment is purchased for all CF mbrs not just the uber-fit. 

Lighten-up and maybe the rest of us can lighten up.

Cheers

"I wouldn't have wished her to a Crewman!!"

- Maybe she WAS a Crewman!

(Signed: A Crewman).

Tom

That was me next to you 2023, not literally, but figuratively.

That was me, back in August, when 30lbs overweight I started to take up running for the first time in my life. Albeit, I started out doors, running 60 seconds, walking 90. But when I did go to the gym and use the treadmills there...fortunately the people there were supportive, or at least seemingly so. If they hadn't been, I'd be back on my couch right now...not training for my first 1/2 Marathon and the Cabot Trail Relay Race. Oh, and coincidently, my running "successes" have actually inspired three Arty officers to take their own running seriously and train properly...one has visions of that uberfast CISM team in his not-so-distant future.

So next time a "voluptuous" chick gets on a machine next to you, think twice about what your perception of her purpose is. You never know, she just may be trying to improve herself. Funny that!

Cheers...

Oh, and you may have been running your guts out on your machine...but I'd like to see you keep that pace for 21.1Km...

If the purpose of the thread was to discuss misuse of gym equipment, why was the users physical appearance mentioned at all. Whether it was a 350 lb woman, 110 lb man, or 150 lb Adonis - if they were walking on the treadmill during PT time would the result have not been the same?

muffin

Forgotten_Hero said:
I understand that... but if it gets your heart rate to the same point as running outside...?
OK for cardio but not as good for the body

Forgotten_Hero said:
So exactly why do I find it harder to run outside than on a treadmill? I can go for quite a long time on the treadmill without even breathing hard, but its not the same for running outdoors.

Well, to point out the obvious...the treadmill moves under your feet, so it requires less exertion to move the same amount of mass (your body) when compared to a stationary base (earth). Mind you if you're really, REALLY sensitive, you may find it easier running westward, and letting the earth's rotation take up a bunch of the slack.

Forgotten_Hero said:

When you run outside you actually face resistance because you are moving through the air.  As someone stated, on a treadmill, you are static.  If you want to approximate running outside on a treadmill, you need to set the incline to at least a 2% gradient.  That will give you the extra resistance for your legs to simulate running outside on a calm day.  

CdnArtyWife said:
That was me next to you 2023, not literally, but figuratively.

That was me, back in August, when 30lbs overweight I started to take up running for the first time in my life. Albeit, I started out doors, running 60 seconds, walking 90. But when I did go to the gym and use the treadmills there...fortunately the people there were supportive, or at least seemingly so. If they hadn't been, I'd be back on my couch right now...not training for my first 1/2 Marathon and the Cabot Trail Relay Race. Oh, and coincidently, my running "successes" have actually inspired three Arty officers to take their own running seriously and train properly...one has visions of that uberfast CISM team in his not-so-distant future.

So next time a "voluptuous" chick gets on a machine next to you, think twice about what your perception of her purpose is. You never know, she just may be trying to improve herself. Funny that!

Cheers...

Oh, and you may have been running your guts out on your machine...but I'd like to see you keep that pace for 21.1Km...

Good for you.........still doesn't change my opinion or my peeve. Walk to the store, walk up and down the stairs, but don't walk on a treadmill when there is a perfectly good track for walking on. I know this post would have pos and neg comments so keep them coming.

What does 12 minutes walking on a treadmill do for anyone who doesn't get off the treadmill with sweat on???

Oh and by the way, over 26 miles, I don't walk, I run or jog.  And when I do the 2 CMBG Ironman, I don't walk either.

midgetcop said:
Gotta agree there. Why do you care? Are you trying to feed your own ego by bringing this person down?

I don't personally like the treadmill much, but for some people it's a starting point.

Feed my ego???? Not likely. Even been to the gym at 0600hrs??

I guess the solution to the problem is to run your guts out on the nice cushioned track, so you don't have to concern yourself with how others use their time on the treadmills

Back