• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Also, I'm not saying there will be an uprising, I am saying there will be a reckoning. That may take the shape of government policies that punish home owners, and those seen as "too rich". Civil unrest can be peaceful protest, like bouncy castles and hot tubs.
After seeing how this government responded to the Freedom Convoy and other related protests, whether you agree with their methods or not, any "Canadian Uprising" will be very muted and largely ineffective. Nobody is going to want to square off against Trudeau and give him another "just watch me" moment for the family scrapbook.

After seeing how this government responded to the Freedom Convoy and other related protests, whether you agree with their methods or not, any "Canadian Uprising" will be very muted and largely ineffective. Nobody is going to want to square off against Trudeau and give him another "just watch me" moment for the family scrapbook.
Oh Canadians will just adjust how they act. When the bank freezing occurred there was activity in the background that panicked the banks. Doubt that will self repair anytime soon. FAFO.

True, but that only applies to some though. The Pally protests are hardly peaceful, are motivated by extremists and hatred, yet the police response has been meek and the political motions supporting terrorism and attacking another democracy.

Housing is a big outlier. By almost all measures, "things are better than they've ever been". Some mere technological advances, particularly in health care, are beyond price.

Satisfaction is relative. If you grew up with young parents (20s) of modest means 50 years ago, what you saw around you shouldn't have created high expectations. If you grew up with older parents (30s/40s) 20 years ago, what you saw around you might have done so. It's harder to attain what your parents attained if you're measuring their age 50 achievements instead of their age 40 achievements.

Crossing the threshold into violent upheaval usually requires having very little to lose, and most people still have a lot to lose even if they can't afford to buy a really nice home or apartment outright. Where apprehension should enter into peoples' minds lies in that there are more fragile pressure points than there used to be that could be exploited by a few people or even individuals.

Lawrence Martin has a take on all of this apropro some comments above:

Attachments

• IMG_1403.jpeg
    IMG_1403.jpeg
    641 KB · Views: 20
Lawrence Martin has a take on all of this apropro some comments above:
Martin's quest is quixotic. The root of the brouhaha over "free speech" in the US is centred on the ideas of misinformation and disinformation, and at roughly the same time the court was hearing the case everyone was treated to another spectacle of the media and plenty of prominent politicians deliberately mis-quoting Trump again. (The full context of the remarks was beyond any reasonable person's capacity to miss.) Also, the J6 Committee - an entirely scripted effort, carefully managed to present selected information while ignoring or hiding inconvenient evidence - was back in the news, for discreditable reasons. Impossible to credibly claim to be against malinformation for those who are a source of it.

No, reading the room is why you have this unjustifiably pessimistic view about the fragility of our country right now. The room you are reading is a bunch of echo Chambers that make it look like the entire country is a penny away from being destitute. Things are tough, and people are certainly being vocal about it, but for the vast majority are so far from what you are proposing.
The problem is the people who tend to uprise and revolt are the youth. Who are disproportionately affected by all this.

To keep any dictatorship, government, etc. going you only need 3 things. 1) jobs 2) housing and 3) food.

The job opportunities for the youth are garbage right now, next to impossible to get into starter jobs, or to get into one have to take on 100k+ of debt.

The housing opportunities are trash, rent has skyrocketed, housing has skyrocketed, most are stuck in the minimum of a roommate or two just to survive. Before that was more a get a head thing where you could save by having a roommate, it is now a necessity for many.

The food situation isn’t the best either as food banks are struggling to feed those that need it. It’s bad because people are struggling to pay for the increased housing costs with the low income provided by most jobs and the burden of all their student debt.

Many youth would look at this as a never ending debt struggle/cycle and without offering them a viable option to correct it, they will turn to increasingly radical ways to resolve it. If your conventional politicians turn them away, the radicals will step in.

No, reading the room is why you have this unjustifiably pessimistic view about the fragility of our country right now. The room you are reading is a bunch of echo Chambers that make it look like the entire country is a penny away from being destitute. Things are tough, and people are certainly being vocal about it, but for the vast majority are so far from what you are proposing.
I assure you, its not just echo chambers. You spoke from a position of ignorance, again.

Most of my family and many of my friends are pro Liberal (But no longer support Trudeau) or NDP. Many, many Trudeau supporters of 2015, can not support him anymore. They aren't anti-Liberal but refuse to support Trudeau. Why is that?

Housing, economy, safe supply/harm reduction failed policies, carbon tax into oblivion, out of touch environment minister, Prime Ministers constant lecturing and condescending attitude, attacking legit firearm owners, relaxed bail for crooks, pure financial mismanagement on many files, piss poor support for DND with a very dangerous global military atmosphere....Canadian see this and are fed up beyond belief.

Ever wonder why the Premier of Newfoundland (Very much a Liberal) has openly asked Trudeau to STOP the Carbon tax increase?

Its YOU that is stuck in a one person echo chamber. You really need to read the room here at army.ca and this nation in generl, we are fed up with Trudeau. And as far as civil unrest or civil war, caution, every nation that has experienced it probably never thought it would happen to them. Enjoy you complacency.

Brad Sallows wrote:

“Satisfaction is relative. If you grew up with young parents (20s) of modest means 50 years ago, what you saw around you shouldn't have created high expectations. If you grew up with older parents (30s/40s) 20 years ago, what you saw around you might have done so. It's harder to attain what your parents attained if you're measuring their age 50.”

Well, early Gen X is that first cohort. You went to school, started a job, got married, kids, house by 25-27.

One of the things that defined our understanding at that time (for Gen X) was that we would do better than our parents, and do so quietly. And perhaps generationally (but certainly not in absolute terms) that is what happened, perhaps for the last time in quite a while.

One of the things that defined our understanding at that time (for Gen X) was that we would do better than our parents, and do so quietly. And perhaps generationally (but certainly not in absolute terms) that is what happened, perhaps for the last time in quite a while.
I'd argue that the dividing line is actually somewhere in the middle of the millenial cohort. The younger you get from ~85 the more aggressive you had to be/ the more had to go "right", but the majority of non-GTA elder millenials that followed the "normal" path have more in common with X's than they do younger millenials and z's.

Edit- and the farther you get from 85 the more "right" changed. 90-92's that went to university had to thread a pretty aggressive needle to get into the market pre run up. But the same age band that went the trade/workforce route were buying by 2014-16. The 95-96's that went to school were SOL, but those that went trade/workforce that had their eye on the ball got in under the wire.

Last edited:
Agree. Bearing in mind most Gen X entered the workforce during the 1980’s recession, and went through another one in the 90’s, and still did ok. (remember Stay Alive til 95?)

Now it’s stay alive til 25, but what will happen then? Not much I suspect.

Looks like the non-confidence motion was voted down (big surprise)

I think whole point as the vote itself and not the outcome. Now the CPC can clearly educate Canadians where our currently elected representatives stand on this issue.

It's also been interesting to watch the NDP and their mental gymnastics leading up and after to justify their united position.

I think whole point as the vote itself and not the outcome. Now the CPC can clearly educate Canadians where our currently elected representatives stand on this issue.
That is what I suspect it was for as well. But I also suspect (not really hard detective work though) the CPC really really wants an election right now. But was in poor form for PP to not actually be present for the vote. Not that it will matter in the larger scheme.
It's also been interesting to watch the NDP and their mental gymnastics leading up and after to justify their united position.
I don’t think it’s a case of mental gymnastics for them. They are pro environment but it likely that more than few are under pressure from their constituents.

Back