• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Trudeau likely on his 'last stand' as leader of Liberal party: Political expert

Summary
Trudeau likely to step down sometime to up/during this summer due to unpopularity. Wants to avoid being the leader of the Liberal Party who will likely face a massive loss much like the Progressive Conservatives in 1993 Federal Election.

Recent budget has been panned by the former Bank of Canada Governor, David Dodge, who predicted that it will hurt the economic and discourage business investment.

Servicing of the federal debt (estimated $54 B) now outstrips the money spend on health care.

Current generation is not better off than their parents due to high inflation, high housing costs and stagnant economy.

Current gov't is out of touch with ordinary Canadians. Sudden realization that Canadians are deeply concerned about inflation, lack of housing and high cost of housing.

Over regulation burden.

Capital gains tax will increase taxation burden on the middle class, small businesses.

Centralist Liberals have been retired/removed from the ranks and the activist (left of centre) have taken control of the party thereby not letting the party to move back to the centre.

Like many Canadians I foresee a rather bleak economic future due to the overspending policies of the current LPC which the next gov't (most likely CPC) who probably will:

• try to balance the budget
  • reduce the PS and the number of cabinet ministers
  • try to encourage and induce investment in the economy to promote growth
  • temper any expectations of the public for a quick fix and most likely promote a message of short term pain for long term pain much like PM Chretien's message when he slashed gov't spending to balance the budget in the mid-1990s.
Would Singh not be better to pre-empt his resignation by pulling the plug? Aa I see it, playing along for any further length of time is guaranteeing the NDP's demise and his own position as Trudeau's lap dog.

Trudeau says he doesn’t understand why NDP is 'pulling back' support for carbon tax

When the going gets tough, your Ally jumps off the wagon.

The NDP are starting to realize that taxation of any kind will be deeply unpopular to ordinary Canadians in times of high inflation.

The New Democrats are facing political headwinds when it comes to a carbon tax, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged Friday, although he doesn’t get why they seem to be having second thoughts.

The NDP has long championed the idea of putting a tax on pollution, even campaigning on it in the 2019 election.

But this week, the party shifted its tone, saying a carbon tax is not the “be-all, end-all” and encouraging premiers to come up with new ideas to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions.

New Democrat MPs also backed a non-binding Conservative motion in the House of Commons demanding that Trudeau sit down with provincial and territorial leaders within five weeks to discuss the policy.

“It’s not a handful of conservative politicians and premiers that are going to turn me away from continuing the fight against climate change,” Trudeau said Friday during a news conference in Vaughan, Ont., outside Toronto.

“So I don’t entirely understand the position of the NDP and pulling back from affordability measures and from the fight against climate change.”

The Conservatives insist that the carbon tax is making life less affordable for Canadians, while the Liberals say rebates from the tax on pollution mean most Canadians end up with more money at the end of the day.

That has left New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh between a rock and a hard place, Trudeau suggested Friday.

“I feel for the NDP and for Jagmeet. This is a hard moment. There are political headwinds. There’s a lot of political pressure,” he said.

The NDP are starting to realize that taxation of any kind will be deeply unpopular to ordinary Canadians in times of high inflation.

I don't think it's just times of inflation. I thinking working class Canadians have reached their ceiling of what they will accept for taxation. We pay a ridiculous amount of taxes and fees in this country and we get a shit public product in return. Basically we're paying Lamborghini prices and getting a Dodge product in return.

The Government needs to trim programs and public servants. And start scaling back taxes. Id rather pay much less in taxes and be responsible for many of my own services. And I'm not alone.

Well seeing as you have everyone but the NDP coming out against this budget... I think everyone will know who farted in the elevator...

The Government needs to trim programs and public servants. And start scaling back taxes. Id rather pay much less in taxes and be responsible for many of my own services. And I'm not alone.
Govt: Gotchu fam. Cuts CAF budget some more

Call me cynical but there is no way any govt would willingly cut any meaningful amount of taxes.

Govt: Gotchu fam. Cuts CAF budget some more

I have no idea what the highlight bit means, but there are such a thing as core services a Fed Gov in a sovereign country is supposed to fund, and one of them is a military.

My sights are set on social programs, these should be a provincial and municipal problem; and transfer programs. Just because I hate them and I think they stimy growth.

But I'm an evil person who believes individuals and big business should be responsible for much of their gains and falls in life and not look to the Gov to bail them out.

Call me cynical but there is no way any govt would willingly cut any meaningful amount of taxes.

I think you're right. Canadians, by and large, are lazy and complacent. We'd rather a government hand out and work to better out own lot and those of our children.

I think you're right. Canadians, by and large, are lazy and complacent. We'd rather a government hand out and work to better out own lot and those of our children.
And this budget will chase the high income earners, investors etc out. I hear Belize is a nice place.

This budget is kind of a capstone on the past 15 years of the LPC at the helm.

It centralizes control in Ottawa, throws money at problems that aren't Federal responsibilities while starving the budgets of actual ones, punishes growth and innovation, and kicks the can further down thw road for someone else to deal with.

I see echoes of the former Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan; and its failed bureaucracy, poorly managing programs from afar in Kabul, to people who have zero interest being dictated to by someone who has not lived a day in their struggles or concerns.

We are a Confederation for a reason. We have far more regional concerns than we do national ones. We aren't France, Germany, Japan, or China; we have our structure in place for a reason. We're too big to govern centrally, and our provinces are too small (yes even Ontario and Quebec) to make it alone.

We are a Confederation for a reason.
Aren't, never have been.

"Confederation" in Canada it's just a rhetorical trick. It is the act of creating the Canadian federation. But we certainly would do much better if we actually were a confederation. Which is why I always advocate for a constitutionally-empowered Federal Council, and a decentralized Senate (members named by provinces)

I don't think Quebec and Ontario are "too small" to make it on their own, either. The problem with Ontario is twofold: one, it is the imperial center and would suffer greatly from separation with the rest of the empire; and two, it has no culture of its own, unlike every other part of Canada, having been replaced by post-national cosmopolitanism. Quebec would have to stir itself out of its slumber: it behaves as if fundamental rules of economics and geopolitics don't exist because it is currently sheltered by the Canadian umbrella.

Concur with the rest, though.

It’s clearly and election budget. 338 will have some data today.

But also this is interesting from Ekos. Note some of the previews for next week’s poll from them.

1713722197041.png

Of note is the approval rate for both leaders and the seeming rise in voter approval of under 35s for the budget.

It’s clearly and election budget. 338 will have some data today.

But also this is interesting from Ekos. Note some of the previews for next week’s poll from them.

View attachment 84607

Of note is the approval rate for both leaders and the seeming rise in voter approval of under 35s for the budget.
Interesting phrasing: "most disinformed".

Curious how that was judged. Implies they aren't just uninformed, but actively and provably "wrong".

Intrigued the pollster included 2-vaxxed amongst unvaxxed group. Makes sense, that would be me, and my views certainly align closer to unvaxxed than 3-vaxxed+.

Interesting phrasing: "most disinformed".

Curious how that was judged. Implies they aren't just uninformed, but actively and provably "wrong".
Not sure but could also relate to those that believe in disinformation?

Not sure but could also relate to those that believe in disinformation?
Which is why I'm so curious!

I think the past few years have shown that those who use that word are often the worst offenders.

Also, given the negative outcomes that result from the "most informed's" government of choice, it seems to imply it is better to be "disinformed" than informed (by this pollster's standard).

Which is why I'm so curious!

I think the past few years have shown that those who use that word are often the worst offenders.
I’m not sure if it is just a turn of words for uninformed or if they have a methodology to take disinformation into account.

I’m still looking forward to watching Tiff Macklem and the BoC’s view of the next round of bond-financing of the deficit. I suspect that interest rates won’t be coming down as quickly as some may believe. That will have a material impact on ongoing affordability issues, especially if bond-driven devaluation and inflation increase occurs…

I’m still looking forward to watching Tiff Macklem and the BoC’s view of the next round of bond-financing of the deficit. I suspect that interest rates won’t be coming down as quickly as some may believe. That will have a material impact on ongoing affordability issues, especially if bond-driven devaluation and inflation increase occurs…

I did believe interest rates going to come down, I don't anymore. And I'm glad my new mortgage willl come up for renewal a few years after PP gets a reign on things.

I did believe interest rates going to come down, I don't anymore. And I'm glad my new mortgage willl come up for renewal a few years after PP gets a reign on things.
Tend to agree. I think interest rates will remain where they are and if they drop it won’t be significant.

Back