• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not (various polling, etc.)

Rather than helping everyone, I would like to see Canada become a highly productive and regenerative (beyond sustainable) nation that allows everyone to work productively and live comfortably (not luxury) with a layered "social safety net" (minimum expense).

If we set a high standard of living and create a functioning society, instead of trying to move the whole world here (especially for cheap vote grabbing), we set an example for other nations to emulate.
The Swiss are a excellent example of this

The pivot from cash (difficult to trace) to electronic payments (trivial to trace) during and after the pandemic may also have contributed to changes in employment levels; how much of the off the books economy has moved into being documented?

Demographics are a cruel reality for most 'first world' countries, and labour shortages are a bigger problem than most people will know about, or countries can easily solve, or alot of businesses can survive...
Not insignificant portrayal of non-university educations as being unworthy or of lesser value to society hasn’t helped the situation of economic productivity.

Demographics are a cruel reality for most 'first world' countries, and labour shortages are a bigger problem than most people will know about, or countries can easily solve, or alot of businesses can survive...

View attachment 86543

This
1720884618697.png

Or this
1720884846751.png

There are a lot of under-employed people out there.

They could just as easily be operating a factory as serving cups of coffee. (Or looking after patients).

This
View attachment 86544

Or this
View attachment 86545

There are a lot of under-employed people out there.

They could just as easily be operating a factory as serving cups of coffee. (Or looking after patients).
After the past few years, I wouldn’t blame folks for not wanting to get into healthcare / LTC work.

Factories are also increasingly automating to reduce staff. Yes there are a lot of work, but everyone is screaming for workers - the question is why someone would choose working in a coffee shop over presumably higher wages in a factory.

After the past few years, I wouldn’t blame folks for not wanting to get into healthcare / LTC work.

Factories are also increasingly automating to reduce staff. Yes there are a lot of work, but everyone is screaming for workers - the question is why someone would choose working in a coffee shop over presumably higher wages in a factory.

I have worked in factories. Well, sawmills and pulpmills, and the mining and aquaculture industries.

Few latte sipping kids from an average Canadian city would willingly physically transport their lives to remote/heavily industrialized, and unionized, parts of Canada to engage in that kind of labour.

Unless, of course, they happen to be specifically trained in certain professions like global marketing and sales, process engineering, production related IT systems, or various types of natural resource and industrial sciences.

I have worked in factories. Well, sawmills and pulpmills, and the mining and aquaculture industries.

Few latte sipping kids from an average Canadian city would willingly physically transport their lives to remote/heavily industrialized, and unionized, parts of Canada to engage in that kind of labour.

Unless, of course, they happen to be specifically trained in certain professions like global marketing and sales, process engineering, production related IT systems, or various types of natural resource and industrial sciences.
I was thinking like Amazon factories but that’s a good point too.

If you’re living paycheque to paycheque in [insert Canadian city], short of the employer paying your travel, what’s the incentive to uproot? The pay/benefits better be really damn good.

My daughter is an RN. She finds herself competing with immigrant nurses for LTC jobs at Starbucks wages. All things considered she prefers to work at Starbucks where the money is the same but the responsibility is less.

As to factories automating to reduce staff I see that as a good thing. It means more staff available to automate more factories producing more goods. The wrong answer is to push more staff into existing factories.

The right answer is to automate jobs that are currently done by immigrant hands. And that is possible on farms.

Maybe the latte sipping city kids don't want the country jobs but there are lots of country kids that wouldn't mind staying in the country and being able to buy a latte.

The pivot from cash (difficult to trace) to electronic payments (trivial to trace) during and after the pandemic may also have contributed to changes in employment levels; how much of the off the books economy has moved into being documented?
Given the subsequent price (inflationary) pressures, the off-the-books economy could very well be increasing. It doesn't depend entirely on cash.

More of the same

And not all the supervision needs to be on site.

All the young people want to enjoy the kind of life the city offers, which means living near the kind of life the city offers is expensive.

The obligation to pay for that belongs to the people who want to live it.

If your a single female with kids who had stopped working to raise kids (lets say the father left and is avoiding paying most of the costs) and you want to work. The cost of daycare swallows everything you just made, plus you lose all of the health and dental benefits for your kids you have on welfare. So they make it hard to get off. I like to see the system award people who go to work and try to get off welfare, by supporting them through the transition period. This above was a real example I saw. She eventually found work that made it worthwhile getting off welfare.

Effort is what I want as well. That female should not be able to rely on my tax dollars to support her situation. That's an extended family problem. And I say again, we don't all make it. Life sucks home boy, and it sucks more for some. Make good choices.

My daughter is an RN. She finds herself competing with immigrant nurses for LTC jobs at Starbucks wages. All things considered she prefers to work at Starbucks where the money is the same but the responsibility is less.

As to factories automating to reduce staff I see that as a good thing. It means more staff available to automate more factories producing more goods. The wrong answer is to push more staff into existing factories.

The right answer is to automate jobs that are currently done by immigrant hands. And that is possible on farms.

Maybe the latte sipping city kids don't want the country jobs but there are lots of country kids that wouldn't mind staying in the country and being able to buy a latte.

Except that young people are fleeing farming...

Farmers Wanted:

The labour renewal Canada needs to build the Next Green Revolution​

To offset a short-term skills crisis, we’ll need to accept 30,000 permanent immigrants over the next decade to establish their own farms and greenhouses or take over existing ones.

Effort is what I want as well. That female should not be able to rely on my tax dollars to support her situation. That's an extended family problem. And I say again, we don't all make it. Life sucks home boy, and it sucks more for some. Make good choices.
Sounds like you’re totally cool with far fewer “born in Canada” Canadians then. Just be prepared for what that means for sustaining our labour force long term. We’re gonna need someone working and paying in to sustain your CPP…

Only half the population can have kids. They can only have kids between the ages of 15 and 35.
Do you value their ability to produce kids?
I do.

Except that young people are fleeing farming...

Farmers Wanted:

The labour renewal Canada needs to build the Next Green Revolution​

To offset a short-term skills crisis, we’ll need to accept 30,000 permanent immigrants over the next decade to establish their own farms and greenhouses or take over existing ones.

My observation of my farming family and friends is not that the kids are fleeing farming (some are) but that there are more kids than farms so some of the kids have to give up the farm life.

Another issue is debt transfer. Mum and Dad want to retire. They need to realize the capital gains accumulated on the farm to support their retirement. The kids need to be able to assume the debt and buy out the parents. They need to find financing.

Finding financing is difficult. And the farm that supported Mum and Dad's family will only support one of their kid's families. The other kids need to fund their own farms, or green houses, or agri-produce factories.

Back to productivity issues.

Sounds like you’re totally cool with far fewer “born in Canada” Canadians then. Just be prepared for what that means for sustaining our labour force long term. We’re gonna need someone working and paying in to sustain your CPP…
CPP is increasingly self-supporting, and for a lot of people not really a vital part of retirement. That threat won't go very far.

CPP is increasingly self-supporting, and for a lot of people not really a vital part of retirement. That threat won't go very far.
Perhaps not, but it can be fun watching people squirm as they try to square anti-immigrant sentiment with opposition to policies aimed at stimulating our domestic birth rate.

Back