• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not (various polling, etc.)

It seems that anyone with a right of center opinion is now considered "Far Right". Or am I imagining things?

I don’t know. He had an opportunity to give a very clear, concise sound bite of “I am not communicating to the far right.”
Sparring with the reporter does not gain him any voters he does not already have. Avoiding a claim that is being reported in many news sources does not get him voters he does not already have. But explicitly denying the claim might contribute to swinging some voters his way.
Which would have been twisted into "Of course you are, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to hard to hide it.", or some other variation of "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"....

from the comments:

“far-right.” is everyone to the right, of anyone on the left, that will not vote for Trudeau.

It was a CP report that was published/broadcasted by the MSN without fact checking as it suits their narrative.
Big headline, carried by a lot of outlets from a common feed, but is it REALLY news???? Don't think so ...

Want a fact check? PP says CP is "CBC's news service" ...
... whereas it's not quite that. It is now owned by some big media voices (with the usual "in the pocket of the government" unless they're reporting problems the government is having), but it ain't the CBC's. The 600 or so "media companies and organizations" they work with include people subscribing to their common news feed - including the Cosmic Butterfly Corporation. Yeah, picking pepper outta fly crap, but if people don't trust folks to be defence minister who can't understand the nuances of the military ...

Also, CP dropped the ball a bit suggesting PP's opposition to the World Economic Forum is new, or newly mentioned. Not that other Team Blue-ists in the past haven't at least nibbled on that fruit (from 2014) ...
... so we'll have to see zackly what happens if we see PMPP in place next time 'round especially given PP's praise of the WEF in the early-ish 2000's on how well Canada was doing ...
... sorta like linking the media one hates to show something they like seeing. PP's most mentions, though, simply aren't news, except on a slow summer news day.

That’s the stupidest thing I have read on the internet today. C’mon, you’re better than that.
I think he has a bit of a point.

PP might not have had a Churchill "tomorrorw I'll be sober" moment, but he avoided feeding the anti-CPC crowd soundbites quite well. If you think PP handled it poorly, you're likely already anti-PP, if not a JT supporter.

I think he has a bit of a point.

PP might not have had a Churchill "tomorrorw I'll be sober" moment, but he avoided feeding the anti-CPC crowd soundbites quite well. If you think PP handled it poorly, you're likely already anti-PP, if not a JT supporter.
He’s a fanboy. I get it. I was a Stockwell Day fanboy till I figured out he was incompetent at leading a federal party. I get the feeling that if PP walked out on stage tomorrow wearing a green suit carrying a Little Red Book and spouting Maoist BS, his fanboys would say how brilliant he was.

Honestly, I’m not the one that needs to be sold. Against my better judgment, I will probably be voting CPC even though I live in a solidly Liberal riding because JT is the absolute worst PM I have ever had the displeasure of living through. But by going on about these boutique, highly online conspiracy theories about a wankfest for the world’s rich and powerful, he’s performing fan service for the converted instead of winning over the suburbanites who are worried about buying a house and keeping up with their mortgages. When these people see these clips (especially when the Liberals put them on a continuous loop during the election). It’s like two steps forward, one step back with PP.

And yes, I do think he handled that poorly because he came across as a condescending jerk who can’t be bothered to let facts get in the way of a good smear job. He’s not giving the voters he needs reason to vote for him other than “I’m not Trudeau.”

Just because the choir is lapping it up doesn’t mean it plays well to the masses. If he keeps this performance up, we’re going to see PMJT re-elected. While Trudeau and the Liberals suck at governing, they are amazing campaigners.

Maybe I just live in different suburbs but WEF is a topic of conversation out here. And it doesn't have many friends.

He’s a fanboy. I get it. I was a Stockwell Day fanboy till I figured out he was incompetent at leading a federal party. I get the feeling that if PP walked out on stage tomorrow wearing a green suit carrying a Little Red Book and spouting Maoist BS, his fanboys would say how brilliant he was.

Honestly, I’m not the one that needs to be sold. Against my better judgment, I will probably be voting CPC even though I live in a solidly Liberal riding because JT is the absolute worst PM I have ever had the displeasure of living through. But by going on about these boutique, highly online conspiracy theories about a wankfest for the world’s rich and powerful, he’s performing fan service for the converted instead of winning over the suburbanites who are worried about buying a house and keeping up with their mortgages. When these people see these clips (especially when the Liberals put them on a continuous loop during the election). It’s like two steps forward, one step back with PP.

And yes, I do think he handled that poorly because he came across as a condescending jerk who can’t be bothered to let facts get in the way of a good smear job. He’s not giving the voters he needs reason to vote for him other than “I’m not Trudeau.”

Just because the choir is lapping it up doesn’t mean it plays well to the masses. If he keeps this performance up, we’re going to see PMJT re-elected. While Trudeau and the Liberals suck at governing, they are amazing campaigners.
So... you're anti-PP...

It's almost as if I specifically pointed out that anti-PP people would see this interaction as negative.

So... you're anti-PP...

It's almost as if I specifically pointed out that anti-PP people would see this interaction as negative.
I just wish he and his people would get serious and smarten up. He has a lot going for him but it drives me nuts that he’s going to lose the election just so he can “own the Libs”.

People waiting for exactly the alternative that suits them are likely to continue receiving more of what they claim to want to get away from. Can't argue with insanity.

His numbers suggest otherwise. He's polling in majority territory. The red and orange liberals keep dropping. That would suggest he is bringing voters over from other parties. Perhaps people are finally fed up with trudeau's puppet government. Your opinion does not appear to compare well to the reality.

His numbers suggest otherwise. He's polling in majority territory. The red and orange liberals keep dropping. That would suggest he is bringing voters over from other parties. Perhaps people are finally fed up with trudeau's puppet government. Your opinion does not appear to compare well to the reality.
PP is beginning to show that his CPC is a viable alternative to the LPC. But can he maintain that until October 2025, the only polling date that really matters?

During his cabinet shuffle Trudeau said there would not be an early election. But, if he takes his walk on the beach on Truth & Reconciliation Day and surfs into the sunset, then I believe we will have an early election.

I think PP understands social media more than most, including members of this forum. He knows if he gives some detailed response to the reporter in question it's going to get bent and twisted and turned into sounds bites.

So instead he flipped it on the reporter and expected them to substantiate thier claims. It's smart to me. He didn't take the bait and now he has more proof the established media want to thwart his run.

To me this is bad reporting that only plays into PPs narrative and strengthens his cause.

O'Toole tried to talk and all it got him was fumble and a turnover. So PP is taking a different tact.

The manipulation of social media is the new field. JT does it well and so does PP. Politicians who understand this will have a good advantage.

PP seems to have the momentum, he needs to now put out a solid policy platform, beyond axe the tax, and show people what that majority needs to stick.

For me I want to see:

Lower taxes
Loosening of gun laws
Electoral Reform / HoC seat redistribution

I'll settle for 2/3.

PP seems to have the momentum, he needs to now put out a solid policy platform, beyond axe the tax, and show people what that majority needs to stick.

For me I want to see:

Lower taxes
Loosening of gun laws
Electoral Reform / HoC seat redistribution

I'll settle for 2/3.

I think it is safe to assume that removing the carbon tax will be a policy position. Maybe we might see some GST manipulation on certain things as well. What I don’t like as much though are the boutique tax credits that Harper was known for.

Loosening gun laws. That will also likely be a policy position as well. Just don’t sell it as a « loosening ». O’Toole was weak on that and was the beginning of the end for him after he messed that up during that debate. Call it firearm reform or something. My point isn’t to criticize how you framed it HT, I know what you are meaning. But it reinforces my point that gun laws are tough sells and how it gets framed and presented will be a challenge for the CPC. The current legislation is bad legislation, on that I agree but the CPC will need to tread lightly.

Electoral reform. Not so sure that will be there. I haven’t heard too much rumblings from the CPC about that.

You’ll likely get your 2/3rds.

Back