• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trying to fool me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rz350

Inactive
Reaction score
So I apply for an armoured officer spot at my old regiment. They tell me I will not be considered due to my previous release, however, they will consider me for an NCM spot, and then I could transfer to Officer after getting trade qualified...I smell BS, as I understand it to be VERY hard to go from NCM to Officer. Am I right, are they just trying to snag me as an NCM?

(I have decided to try some other regiments/units in different trades for an officer spot, as so many trades appeal me to)

What was your previous release item?  As for the CFR process, it's quite easy in my Regiment.  We encourage soldiers to do so if they have the desire.  They do have to pass the PSO interview, be recommended, pass the Officer Board, etc... though.

- You control your choices until you sign up - then they do, after which all promises made are moot.  Think it through.  

- The people who provide career 'advice' often change jobs and units on a two year cycle.  If you think the 'advice' provided will transition with the current 'command team', the situation may change in the future.  But: that is two years out of your life.  Why wait?  Weigh the choices and act on the best option presently available.

Going the officer route in the reserves after spending some time in the ranks isn't very difficult.  My unit has had a fair number of NCMs from Pte to CWO move into the officer ranks, and we have a couple in process right now.  There is an established process in place and the evaluation for suitability is done by a personnel selection officer from outside the unit, making it pretty impartial.  For what it's worth, having had occasion to observe young reserve officers in training, those who had gone through DP1/DP2 as an NCM had less trouble passing their officer training than candidates straight off civilian street.  One of my best Battle Captains started as a Pte and went the officer route after completing DP1.

I've done it, from Reg NCM to Reg Officer.

Why do you smell BS though?

Shamrock said:
Just because I heard it was very hard...perhaps I was wrong, but I heard from some mbr's that it was a tricky/hard process to do. And as was said above, I control everything til I sign on the line, then is their domain and I'm screwed if they decide they dont want to let me do it.

I have NO qualms at all about being denied an Officer spot...that's 100% their prerogative to select whom them wish for that position.

I just felt it a bit under handed to try and lure me in as NCM (again) when I said I wanted to go Officer. So I'll be trying some other units for Officer.

My release item is just Voluntary release...I think 4c In lieu of what I heard here, I may consider the NCM to Offr idea, if I cant find a offr spot at another unit in a trade I like.

rz350 said:
Just because I heard it was very hard...perhaps I was wrong, but I heard from some mbr's that it was a tricky/hard process to do. And as was said above, I control everything til I sign on the line, then is their domain and I'm screwed if they decide they dont want to let me do it.

I have NO qualms at all about being denied an Officer spot...that's 100% their prerogative to select whom them wish for that position.

I just felt it a bit under handed to try and lure me in as NCM (again) when I said I wanted to go Officer. So I'll be trying some other units for Officer.

My release item is just Voluntary release...I think 4c In lieu of what I heard here, I may consider the NCM to Offr idea, if I cant find a offr spot at another unit in a trade I like.

Perhaps then, it is that the Officer's positions in your former Regiment are full??

If there are no available Officer positions -- they can not recruit you into one.

Perhaps, if you want to remain with your old Regiment, as you told them -- they are advising you that you'll have to enter as an NCM (obviously there are available NCM slots there) ... and apply for Commissioning once an Officer position becomes vacant.

Just my thoughts.

You're going back to your old unit - where you were an OR
The unit is saying that they are not prepared to entertain the thought of bringing you in as an Officer BUT, that they are prepared to enroll you as an OR and, once you are trade qualified (again), they will then entertain the idea of having you as an officer.

Well - while you may have been released 4C,  certain "issues" might be associated with your name.  Senior people in the unit may remember things about you that make them want to pause and think before sending you off for officer training.

There is nothing wrong with what they propose - what do you have to lose?

I see by your profile, that you were an ex Pte, Armoured Corps has Troopers, unless you weren't qualified the trade, that being said, if you were qualified, in most cases you have to be a Cpl with at least a 4's course, to go from NCM to Officer, but it is still competitive. I like Shamrock have done it, so it's not impossible.
Shamrock what Regt?

I wasnt trade qualified. What do I have to loose? A whole bunch of time as a Pte/trp when my goal/career path desired is an Officer.

But I am easy going with different trades, and 32 CBG has a good 4 trades, and about 8 regiments/units that appeal to me, so I have lots to try. ;) Then there is MARS Officer at NAVRES, which also seems like a very intresting trade. So  have plently of places to persue my dream of being an CF officer...I was just slighly put off by that offer, as a few of my army friends seemed to think it was a shite offer and I agreed.

And now you are afraid to back off and reassess?

edited to add: this sounds a whole lot more like ego and bragging rights than anything else.

rz350 said:
I wasnt trade qualified. What do I have to loose? A whole bunch of time as a Pte/trp when my goal/career path desired is an Officer.

But I am easy going with different trades, and 32 CBG has a good 4 trades, and about 8 regiments/units that appeal to me, so I have lots to try. ;) Then there is MARS Officer at NAVRES, which also seems like a very intresting trade. So  have plently of places to persue my dream of being an CF officer...I was just slighly put off by that offer, as a few of my army friends seemed to think it was a shite offer and I agreed.

What do you have to "loose" lose??

You weren't even trades qualified?? What the hell are you bitching about then??

PS ... I wouldn't be using your words below during any suitability for "Officer" interview ... I don't think they'd get you recruited -- not EVEN as an NCM.

Sounds a lot to me like you need to get over yourself ... just a 'lil.

Vern

I am over my self...they have no obligation to give me a spot and I know it. But its a volunteer army, and I have no obligation to take a spot I dont want.(if I did, it would be a conscription army) So I figure its fair enough to turn it down, and look at other units, who also do not owe me anything, but I can apply and see if they think I am deserving of joining their leadership team. If not, I'll consider an NCM posn, or maybe I'll wait a few years and try again

Hey buds, does the term "Trade ADD" mean anything to you?

Don't tell us about your opportunities and what you are going to do.  Pick something, anything, and do it.

Bottom line. Many Reserve units are doing this now with Officer candidates. It's cheaper to put you through te NCM side. It gives them a chance to assess you. And it gives you time to appreciate what your men are going through. It's a waste of time and money, doing all the paperwork, fighting for the spot, sending a guy on his BOTP, only to have him thunder in the last two weeks. Washed up and gone. At least as an NCM there is more training opportunities and, if you have too, you can repeat.

That clear enough for ya? Hope so, cause unless someone has something usefull to add, I'm locking this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back