• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TWN SF: White Cam on Face?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I may be dating myself again, but I've attached a photo from an Aussie paper of some Taiwanese army SF types.  When I was in (1978-1989), we were always told, "you don't cam your skin white on winter warfare because your buddy, when checking for frostbite, can't tell which bits of your skin are really white."  That still the case with CF in the winter?

Thx!

That doesn't look like cam paint to me.  It looks like a white mask of some sort.

I've never used white cam stick (therefore opinion of one person only), but I only have the past to go on - - tomorrow, who knows. I'm not sure if the guy in the pic is masked or painted, but I've only seen masks/balaklavas.

I'm more interested in the rig in the centre; it looks like a Black Hawk Power Chute. I thought most militaries that had played with the concept abandoned it in favour of straight MFP: HAHO, or max-track to a HALO. If the prevailaing wind is that much against either option, that motor wouldn't give that much help, and has other negatives (noise, harder to conceal at DZ, etc).
???

uh... my only question is are they REALLY TW SF? Because I'm from Taiwan, and let me tell ya, it DOES NOT SNOW THERE. So why would Taiwan have a special forces unit that also has snow/winter/arctic warfare capability? I mean, really, I know the old ideas of returning to China so that the Nationalist party can once again dominate the political platform there was a top priority for the military in the 60s and early 80s, but now? Anywho :) I'm just a little curious there :D

recceguy said:
Same reason we do jungle training. ;)

ya... but we 'might' get a chance to go into a jungle warfare scenario :D but...I doubt my TW brethren will ever set foot outside of that tiny little island for anything less then a training exercise with the US  ::)

There's GOTTA be high-altitude, snowy bits somewhere in Asia (heck, even China), no?

milnewstbay said:
There's GOTTA be high-altitude, snowy bits somewhere in Asia (heck, even China), no?

yes. but not in Taiwan, which is NOT CHINA. The only mountain that snows in Taiwan snows very very VERY seldomly. Now to say that Taiwan's SF does ANYTHING out side of its own country is... well... i dont know slightly laughable. Considering the political instability its own government experiences on a regular basis. oh well :) that's just my two rupees.

its a "just in case" type thing, WHAT IF they have to set outside there country one day?
better to be prepared
and i dont think that is a mask on his face, if you look closely there is nothing behind his ears or on the back of his neck....unless he is sporting one of those phantom of the opera masks, i would have to think its cam.

MedTech said:
yes. but not in Taiwan, which is NOT CHINA. The only mountain that snows in Taiwan snows very very VERY seldomly. Now to say that Taiwan's SF does ANYTHING out side of its own country is... well... i dont know slightly laughable. Considering the political instability its own government experiences on a regular basis. oh well :) that's just my two rupees.

Ah, but like any other SF, do they want us to KNOW they're doing things outside the island?  Like the best spies being the ones never caught, or even known about....  ;)

You are correct you do not cam up in the winter time for the reasons stated.
If you have half a brain you would wear a balaclava and or a scarf to cover your face any ways.

Looks like a white mask, like the black one the dude with the shield has.

I'd be up for an exchange program. Send me to Taiwan for Jungle Warfare training. Send them to Churchill for Arctic Warfare Training. February would be perfect for both courses.

Michael Baker said:
Looks like a white mask, like the black one the dude with the shield has.
if you look closely there is nothing above his eyes, and its pretty well formed to his nose and mouth if it is actually a mask

mckee19 said:
if you look closely there is nothing above his eyes, and its pretty well formed to his nose and mouth if it is actually a mask
Custom made  ;) It looks like a mask to me  :-[

Zoom in on it about 800% if you haven't already, doesn't look like a mask to me.

daftandbarmy said:
I'd be up for an exchange program. Send me to Taiwan for Jungle Warfare training. Send them to Churchill for Arctic Warfare Training. February would be perfect for both courses.

D&B you'd like Taiwan :) all those slant eye beauties cooing at you  ;) It's a nice place, but it's definetly not somewhere I'd want to do a jungle warfare course in... for starters... I dont think we've got any jungles! :D

Maybe they just thought they'd throw a guy in some winter stuff for show, it's obviously a for a display so some kind. That perhaps explains the reason for the ski bunny looking kit (downhill boots!!!! and the little gloves) and the face paint...because they don't do winter warfare training.  I'd frankly be shocked if they did do it, some wise members already pointed out that the need/likely hood would be low indeed.

I just noticed the guy with the fan on his back; I almost fell over.

You guys are starting to make them sound like some sort of Airsofters. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back