• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. 2012 Election

On Nov 6 Who Will Win President Obama or Mitt Romney ?

• President Obama

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 24 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last time out, Obama threw Wright under his bus and the media covered for him. 

So this time will the RNC have the spine to expose POTUS Obama?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qpzHQ_PC1uI

The faux southern accent is very cool.

Lets see: the Stimulus failed, unemployment is over 10%, "Smart Diplomacy" has alienated American allies and emboldened thier enemies, food and fuel prices are exploding, and now the major argument behind the class warfare and "fairness" meme has just been exploded. (Oh, and most Americans hate Obamacare as well). It is a pretty searing argument against the GOP that despite all this, they still are not clearly ahead of the game:

http://blog.american.com/2012/04/obamas-inequality-argument-just-utterly-collapsed/

Obama’s inequality argument just utterly collapsed
By James Pethokoukis
April 11, 2012, 9:55 pm

President Barack Obama has a theory of the case, yes he does. For the past 30 years, the living standards of middle-class Americans have gone nowhere even as the overall U.S. economy has grown markedly. The Obama explanation: Wealthier Americans grabbed all the money. Time to raise their taxes for the sake of “fairness.”

– Here’s Obama in January 2009: “Middle class Americans have been working harder, yet not enjoying their fair share of the fruits of a growing economy.”

– Here’s Obama in Osawatomie, Kansas, last December: “Over the last few decades, the rungs on the ladder of opportunity have grown farther and farther apart, and the middle class has shrunk.”

– And here’s Obama this week: “What drags our entire economy down is when the benefits of economic growth and productivity go only to the few, which is what’s been happening for over a decade now, and gap between those at the very, very top and everybody else keeps growing wider and wider and wider and wider.”

Underlying Obama’s entire thesis is the work of two economists, Thomas Piketty and Emmanuel Saez. According to them, median American incomes rose just 3.2% from 1979 through 2007.  (All figures are inflation adjusted.)

So what happened to the rest of the dough? The top 10%, 1% and 0.1% grabbed all the money. Or pretty much most of it. Time to crank up taxes on the rich and spend more on the middle class. It’s not overstating things to say that the findings of Piketty and Saez form the very heart of Obamanomics, giving a powerful economic rationale for Obama policies such as ending the upper-end Bush tax cuts to Obamacare to the Buffett Rule.

But it’s just not true, according to a new study in National Tax Journal from researchers at Cornell University. (Here’s an earlier, working-paper version.) The academics, led by economist Richard Burkhauser, don’t say the findings of Piketty and Saez are wrong — just incredibly, massively incomplete. According to the Cornell study, median household income – properly measured – rose 36.7%, not 3.2% like Piketty and Saez argue. That’s a big miss.

And all income levels got richer. Yes, the very rich did exceptionally well, mostly due to technology and globalization. Incomes rose 63% for the top 5%, 56% for the top 10% and 52.6% for the top 20%.  But everyone else made out pretty well, too. Incomes rose 40.4% for households between the 60th and 80th percentiles, 36.9% for the next quintile, 25.0% for the next, and 26.4% for the bottom 20%. There’s the “shared prosperity” Obama says he wants, right in front of his eyes. (Indeed, the study finds, income inequality has actually been shrinking since 1989, with the Gini index falling to 0.362 from 0.372.)

As the Cornell study concludes:

Income inequality increased in the United States not because the rich got richer, the poor got poorer and the middle class stagnated, but because the rich got richer at a faster rate than the middle and poorer quintiles and this mostly occurred in the 1980s. .. the apparent failure of the median American to benefit from economic growth can largely be explained by the use of an income measure for this purpose which does not fully capture what is actually happening to the resources available to middle class individuals.

See, Piketty and Saez made lots of odd choices about what to measure and how to measure it. They chose to measure something called “tax units” rather than households, a move which ignores the statistical impact —  including economies of scale — of couples who cohabitate, kids who move back in with their parents after college, and senior parents who live with their adult children.

They chose to ignore the value of all government transfers — including welfare, Social Security, and other government provided cash assistance — received by the household.

They chose to ignore the role of taxes and tax credits.

They chose to ignore the value of healthcare benefits. In short, Piketty and Saez ignored a lot of stuff. Again, Burkhauser and his team;

The apparent failure of the median American to benefit from economic growth can largely be explained by the use of an income measure for this purpose which does not fully capture what is actually happening to the resources available to middle class individuals …  When using the most restrictive income definition – pre-tax, pre-transfer tax unit cash (market) income—the resources available to the middle class have stagnated over the past three business cycles. In contrast, once broadening the income definition to post-tax, post-transfer size-adjusted household cash income, middle class Americans are found to have made substantial gains.

So the tax and regulatory polices of the past three decades did not lead to stagnation for the middle class at the hands of the rapacious rich. Claims to the contrary — such as those made by Obama, the Occupy movement, and many liberal economists — never really passed the sniff test of anyone who lived through the past few decades. And now we know why: The inequality and stagnation alarmists were wrong. And so, therefore, is the economic rationale of the president’s class-warfare economic policies. Not that economics ever had much to do with them anyway.

James Pethokoukis is a columnist and blogger at the American Enterprise Institute. Previously, he was the Washington columnist for Reuters Breakingviews, the opinion and commentary wing of Thomson Reuters.

Pethokoukis was the business editor and economics columnist for U.S. News & World Report from 1997 to 2008. He has written for many publications, including The New York Times, The Weekly Standard, Commentary, National Review, The Washington Examiner, USA Today and Investor’s Business Daily.

Pethokoukis is an official CNBC contributor. In addition, he has appeared numerous times on MSNBC, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, The McLaughlin Group, CNN and Nightly Business Report on PBS. A graduate of Northwestern University and the Medill School of Journalism, Pethokoukis is a 2002 Jeopardy! Champion.

Pethokoukis can be reached james.pethokoukis@aei.org or follow him on Twitter @JimPethokoukis

Redeye said:
The New Black Panthers? Like, both of them?

You know that no one who's capable of thinking critically sees them as anything more than a tiny, ridiculous joke right?

Pierre Poutine was just ONE man, and apparently stole the entirety of Canadian democracy, even though there isn't any proof that a single person was denied their right to vote.  So, these guys ought to be able to at least double Pierre's effect.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Pierre Poutine was just ONE man, and apparently stole the entirety of Canadian democracy, even though there isn't any proof that a single person was denied their right to vote.  So, these guys ought to be able to at least double Pierre's effect.

That is funny..............

Example 1 of How the Dems can blow this election:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/ann-romney-responds-to-democratic-pundit-saying-she-never-worked-a-day-in-her-life/2012/04/12/gIQApstpBT_blog.html

Ann Romney rejects Democratic pundit’s claim that she ‘never worked a day in her life’

The rhetorical war over women between President Obama and Mitt Romney escalated Wednesday night as Romney’s wife Ann launched a Twitter account to personally respond to a Democratic pundit who had dismissed her knowledge about the economy by saying she “never worked a day in her life.”

Hilary Rosen, a political consultant who advises the Democratic National Committee, questioned on CNN Wednesday night whether Ann Romney understands the economic issues facing women.

“His wife has actually never worked a day in her life,” Rosen said on Anderson Cooper’s “AC360” show. “She’s never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school and how do we — why we worry about their future.”

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Move over Warren Buffett.
The White House said Friday that President Obama has a lower effective tax rate than his secretary.

"The president's secretary pays a slightly higher rate this year than the president on her substantially lower income," White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage told CNN Money.  The president's secretary is Anita J. Breckenridge, and according to White House disclosure forms, the "personal aide to the president" earns $95,000 a year.  Brundage declined to say exactly what tax rate Breckenridge paid. Earlier Friday, the White House released Obama's 2011 tax returns, which showed an adjusted gross income of $789,674 for the first family, and an effective federal income tax rate of 20.5%.
Brundage suggested the president would be willing to pay more, saying his situation illustrates "exactly why we need to reform our tax code and ask the wealthiest to pay their fair share."

Somehow I suspect that the media wont make as big a deal of Obama paying less % in tax than his secretary than if Romney does

[tangent]
When people say stuff like this:
“She’s never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school and how do we — why we worry about their future.”
when they are talking about women who may not be employed outside the home, but instead manage a household (aka "housewife"), they are degrading the value of not only the role of a mother, but degrading the value of family.  Instead, only people who worship money count.  (eg: all they do is geared to earning some coin, not so that they can survive, but to gain some sort of wealth)

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everthing that can be counted counts. 

[/tangent]

I just don't see Mitt Romney being the kind of charismatic person to sway away the middle of the road Americans away from the snake oil salesman.

Technoviking said:
[tangent]
When people say stuff like this: when they are talking about women who may not be employed outside the home, but instead manage a household (aka "housewife"), they are degrading the value of not only the role of a mother, but degrading the value of family.  Instead, only people who worship money count.  (eg: all they do is geared to earning some coin, not so that they can survive, but to gain some sort of wealth)

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everthing that can be counted counts. 

[/tangent]

I just don't see Mitt Romney being the kind of charismatic person to sway away the middle of the road Americans away from the snake oil salesman.

They aren't, though. They're making a statement which will resonate with a lot of people that Ann Romney does not share a common experience with those women who actually faced the economic challenge of trying to raise a family. They're not commenting on the value of the stay-at-home mother (something that even not that long ago when I was growing up seemed a lot more common than now), but rather on the idea that Romney somehow understands the struggles of the average working family, which there's little reason to believe she does. For her to make a flippant remark to try to sound like Jane Q. Housewife is rather foolish. And it's just that kind of think that helps ensure that Romney's not going to connect with a lot of people. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the tack the Dems will take.

Redeye said:
They aren't, though. They're making a statement which will resonate with a lot of people that Ann Romney does not share a common experience with those women who actually faced the economic challenge of trying to raise a family. They're not commenting on the value of the stay-at-home mother (something that even not that long ago when I was growing up seemed a lot more common than now), but rather on the idea that Romney somehow understands the struggles of the average working family, which there's little reason to believe she does. For her to make a flippant remark to try to sound like Jane Q. Housewife is rather foolish. And it's just that kind of think that helps ensure that Romney's not going to connect with a lot of people. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the tack the Dems will take.

Because she is so different than any middle class woman living comfortably and raising her kids then? Please, explain to me how having $5mil in savings makes a stay at home mom different than one that has say $10k in savings? Does Mrs Romney have a small army of nannies following her and her children around, or did she do it all herself? In reality, is a man (or woman) who makes $75k a year and works 9-5 daily any different than a CEO who works 9-5 daily and makes $250k? Aside from the toys they can buy, they are not really different.

Sythen said:
Because she is so different than any middle class woman living comfortably and raising her kids then? Please, explain to me how having $5mil in savings makes a stay at home mom different than one that has say $10k in savings? Does Mrs Romney have a small army of nannies following her and her children around, or did she do it all herself? In reality, is a man (or woman) who makes $75k a year and works 9-5 daily any different than a CEO who works 9-5 daily and makes $250k? Aside from the toys they can buy, they are not really different.

Not all women have $10K in savings. And someone who makes $75K a year can live a pretty decent, comfortable life. But not everyone's like that. There's a whole lot of people who make a whole lot less than than that. The median household income in the USA is closer to $45K. Still not bad, but again not everyone makes that much.

Did Mrs. Romney have nannies? I'm not that sure. But what she didn't have is the necessity of budgeting every penny to make sure that everything that had to be paid was. She didn't shop with a calculator to make sure she didn't overdraw her bank account and make the rent cheque bounce. She didn't have to choose between taking kids to a doctor and groceries, or other tough choices like that, like a lot of real average Americans do. That's the commentary floating around over that statement. It's interesting seeing the variety of reactions. It's building on a theme of Romney appearing totally out of touch with average Americans.

Redeye said:
It's building on a theme of Romney appearing totally out of touch with average Americans. American politics being a complete circus

FTFY.

I didn't even know PM Harper's wife's name until last Christmas (so about 5 years of being our Prime Minister), I certainly didn't know or care what the she did and how she was qualified to be sleeping with the PM and raising his kids.

EDIT: Oops, just googled it and I guess I still didn't know her name. Thought it was Lorraine not Laureen. ;D

Redeye said:
Not all women have $10K in savings. And someone who makes $75K a year can live a pretty decent, comfortable life. But not everyone's like that. There's a whole lot of people who make a whole lot less than than that. The median household income in the USA is closer to $45K. Still not bad, but again not everyone makes that much.

Did Mrs. Romney have nannies? I'm not that sure. But what she didn't have is the necessity of budgeting every penny to make sure that everything that had to be paid was. She didn't shop with a calculator to make sure she didn't overdraw her bank account and make the rent cheque bounce. She didn't have to choose between taking kids to a doctor and groceries, or other tough choices like that, like a lot of real average Americans do. That's the commentary floating around over that statement. It's interesting seeing the variety of reactions. It's building on a theme of Romney appearing totally out of touch with average Americans.

I know I am not gonna persuade you, so I won't bother digging for links as I usually do. My point is that people who say what you're saying are essentially saying (see if I can fit saying into this sentence again) that since she has money, she has no idea what she's talking about. That because she has money, she is "out of touch with average Americans". This is fallacy at best and a dilberate attack on a woman that everyone, even Democrats, agree is a wonderful and good woman/mother. You are, in my opinion, no better than that Alberta politician that tried to attack the fact the one candidate (sorry not keeping up too much on that province's politics, fill in the names yourself)  doesn't have kids. So because she doesn't have kids, she's definitely out of touch with the average woman her age, right? So that means how can she have a useful opinion on anything regarding families? Its foolish. I know you're an Obama apologist and a Left wing loonie, but please try to have an original thought for once in your life instead of parroting whatever Left wing blog you've read most recently.  :blotto:

Nifty little breakdown of American debt posted on CNN (I know I know) and shared with the usual caveats:

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/21/who-owns-america-hint-its-not-china/

Hong Kong: $121.9 billion (0.9 percent)
Caribbean banking centers: $148.3 (1 percent)
Taiwan: $153.4 billion (1.1 percent)
Brazil: $211.4 billion (1.5 percent)
Oil exporting countries: $229.8 billion (1.6 percent)
Mutual funds: $300.5 billion (2 percent)
Commercial banks: $301.8 billion (2.1 percent)
State, local and federal retirement funds: $320.9 billion (2.2 percent)
Money market mutual funds: $337.7 billion (2.4 percent)
United Kingdom: $346.5 billion (2.4 percent)
Private pension funds: $504.7 billion (3.5 percent)
State and local governments: $506.1 billion (3.5 percent)
Japan: $912.4 billion (6.4 percent)
U.S. households: $959.4 billion (6.6 percent)
China: $1.16 trillion (8 percent)
The U.S. Treasury: $1.63 trillion (11.3 percent)
Social Security trust fund: $2.67 trillion (19 percent)

So America owes foreigners about $4.5 trillion in debt. But America owes America $9.8 trillion.

More on link.

Not sure about the other links in the article as they crash my browser here at work, but an interesting breakdown. Canada must be one of those "Oil Exporting Countries".

Sythen said:
I know I am not gonna persuade you, so I won't bother digging for links as I usually do. My point is that people who say what you're saying are essentially saying (see if I can fit saying into this sentence again) that since she has money, she has no idea what she's talking about. That because she has money, she is "out of touch with average Americans". This is fallacy at best and a dilberate attack on a woman that everyone, even Democrats, agree is a wonderful and good woman/mother. You are, in my opinion, no better than that Alberta politician that tried to attack the fact the one candidate (sorry not keeping up too much on that province's politics, fill in the names yourself)  doesn't have kids. So because she doesn't have kids, she's definitely out of touch with the average woman her age, right? So that means how can she have a useful opinion on anything regarding families? Its foolish. I know you're an Obama apologist and a Left wing loonie, but please try to have an original thought for once in your life instead of parroting whatever Left wing blog you've read most recently.  :blotto:

I know you're not too bright at all (see, I can play that game too, but I don't), but I somewhat agree. I don't see much value to the attacks, but I also don't see why Mrs. Romney would make such an absurd statement and then be shocked when people respond to it as they did. I don't really understand the necessity for spouses of candidates to be involved in campaigning, though in American politics it seems to be that way more so than here. I'm sure Mrs. Romney has all sorts of opinions, as do most people, but the idea that she has an opinion that reflects the lives and challenges of the rest of Americans who don't live her incredibly privileged life is a little far-fetched. I don't know why she made the statement to begin with when it was so unnecessary.

The politician in Alberta is Danielle Smith - and I don't agree with that particular attack on her either. Besides, there's plenty of legitimately absurd and terrible stuff she supports without delving into that. And they're legitimate, relevant issues rather than stuff that just makes a small subset of people foam at the mouth over nothing.

Redeye said:
I also don't see why Mrs. Romney would make such an absurd statement and then be shocked when people respond to it as they did.

What statement did Mrs. Romney make that was so absurd? I am legitimately asking because for the last 5 mins, the only things I can find on google are her responses to what was said by Ms. Rosen. She has been dragged into the campaign, from what I can see, by Ms Rosen's comments. And yes, she has money.. But she also has raised 5 sons while battling MS.. Never worked a day in her life, indeed.

I know you're not too bright at all (see, I can play that game too, but I don't)

Difference is I back up my words with facts whereas with you, as with all Left Wing loonies, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Sythen said:
What statement did Mrs. Romney make that was so absurd? I am legitimately asking because for the last 5 mins, the only things I can find on google are her responses to what was said by Ms. Rosen. She has been dragged into the campaign, from what I can see, by Ms Rosen's comments. And yes, she has money.. But she also has raised 5 sons while battling MS.. Never worked a day in her life, indeed.

Mea culpa - the absurd statement I was referring to wasn't related to Rosen's statement - it was from her suddenly created twitter account about her choice to be a stay-at-home mom. I had to go back and check into it because I apparently had the sequence of events wrong. I get Ms. Rosen's point, there's some validity to it - but the idea, likewise, that a stay-at-home mother hasn't worked a day in her life is wrong, it's that simple. Unless of course they've just had plenty of nannies etc to do it. I don't know if that's the case with Mrs. Romney, and I'm not going to speculate that it is. For what it's worth, Rosen's getting a fair bit of flak from a lot of Dems who don't see her having added any real value, but also support from those who want to see the wedge between the Romneys and the rest of America driven as deep as possible, for obvious reasons.

Sythen said:
Difference is I back up my words with facts whereas with you, as with all Left Wing loonies, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Yeah, right... of course you do. :eyeroll: I'm not a lefty - I'm just a recovering conservative. I saw the light and realized that a) I can't hang with social conservatives because I can't stand them and b) I don't like the hypocrisy that's an integral part of and strict ideology. I don't like it on the left any more than the right which settles me as being a fairly pragmatic person. Social liberal, fiscal moderate and generally a realist. And trust me, the right's pretty good at inventing their own facts to make whatever story they want.

Redeye said:
I'm sure Mrs. Romney has all sorts of opinions, as do most people, but the idea that she has an opinion that reflects the lives and challenges of the rest of Americans who don't live her incredibly privileged life is a little far-fetched. I don't know why she made the statement to begin with when it was so unnecessary.

"For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction." -Michelle Obama

Michelle also talks a lot about family, exercise, etc and leads a very priveleged existence, and has for some time.  Mrs Romney needs to be attacked no more for her wealth and choices than Mrs. Obama does. 

Further, the point of the first quote is to show how one person can say something that is obviously inflammatory (first time in her adult life she is proud of her country? Really?) and not get any real flak or negative press, and another can say something similar and be crucified (Example Obama and the beauty queen with almost the exact same quote on gay marriage, and the press results)

Back