• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U2 spy planes eyed for conversion to ICBM killers

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Wouldn't the SR-71 be better suited for this?  ???

Popular Mechanics

The U-2 Spy Plane Could Get a New Job: Missile Destroyer

​The legendary spy plane could take on yet another role, shooting down hostile missiles.​

By Kyle Mizokami
Aug 23, 2016

America's longest-flying spy plane could pick up a new mission that would keep it flying for several more decades. First flown in the mid 1950s, the iconic U-2 "Dragon Lady" is being considered as a missile defense platform to shoot down enemy ballistic missiles as they ascend to low earth orbit.

According to Aviation Week, the U-2 is a candidate for the U.S. Missile Defense Agency's "stratospheric UAV-borne laser demonstrator program."
The goal is to shoot down missiles, including those possibly armed with nuclear and chemical warheads, during the so-called "boost phase" shortly after the missiles have taken off from the ground. An earlier plan to do this by outfitting a Boeing 747 with a chemical laser, the YAL-1 Airborne Ballistic Laser, failed.

(...SNIPPED)

I'm  pretty  sure  there's still around as research platforms. I would have thought it would have been a better choice,  but I'm thinking the simpler  platform with a much better loiter time. But it's all speculation. I LOX'd a couple of late night visitors in the 70s, that's the extent of my  Blackbird  knowledge.

I can see the argument for both aircraft, as both would be advantageous in different scenarios.

Scenario 1 - the U2.  Already on station, great loiter ability, and ability to fly at extremely high altitudes.  Would be ideal for disabling any missile launches in it's area.  Drawback - if missile is launched outside of it's area, it can't get anywhere extremely fast.

Scenario 2 - the SR-71.  Might not already be on station, but can get there pretty f**king quickly.  High flyer also.  I'm not sure about it's loiter time though, and if it would be able to engage multiple launches before it blasts off over the horizon?

:dunno:

recceguy said:
I'm  pretty  sure  there's still around as research platforms. I would have thought it would have been a better choice,  but I'm thinking the simpler  platform with a much better loiter time. But it's all speculation. I LOX'd a couple of late night visitors in the 70s, that's the extent of my  Blackbird  knowledge.

From what I can find....

NASA crews flew four Lockheed SR-71 airplanes during the 1990s. Two were used for research and two to support Air Force reactivation of the SR-71 for reconnaissance missions. Although the Air Force retired the Blackbirds in 1990, Congress reinstated funding for additional flights several years later. SR-71A (61-7980/NASA 844) arrived at Dryden on Feb. 15, 1990. It was placed into storage until 1992 and served as a research platform until its final flight on Oct. 9, 1999. SR-71A (61-7971/NASA 832) arrived at Dryden on March 19, 1990, but was returned to Air Force inventory as the first aircraft was reactivated in 1995. Along with SR-71A (61-7967), it was flown by NASA crews in support of the Air Force program. SR-71B (61-7956/NASA 831) arrived at Dryden on July 25, 1991, and served as a research platform as well as for crew training and proficiency until October 1997.

Last Updated: Aug. 11, 2015

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/news/FactSheets/FS-030-DFRC.html

They could be "mothballed", however I cant seem to track that down.

Cheers
Larry

Wasn't there an SR71 variant that had 3 missiles or something?

I researched the U-2, it's a really interesting read. Especially so for how difficult it sounds like it is to fly.

High aspect ratio wings give the U-2 some glider-like characteristics, with an engine out glide ratio of about 23:1,[29] comparable to gliders of the time. To maintain their operational ceiling of 70,000 feet (21,000 m), the early U-2A and U-2C models had to fly very near their never-exceed speed (VNE). The margin between that maximum speed and the stall speed at that altitude was only 10 knots (12 mph; 19 km/h). This narrow window is called the "coffin corner",[30][31] because breaching either limit would likely cause airflow separation at the wings or tail.[32] For most of the time on a typical mission the U-2 was flying less than five knots above stall speed. A stall would cause a loss of altitude, possibly leading to detection and overstress of the airframe.[17]

The U-2's flight controls are designed for high-altitude flight; the controls require light control inputs at operational altitude. However, at lower altitudes, the higher air density and lack of a power assisted control system makes the aircraft very difficult to fly. Control inputs must be extreme to achieve the desired response, and a great deal of physical strength is needed to operate the controls in this manner. The U-2 is very sensitive to crosswinds, which, together with its tendency to float over the runway, makes the aircraft notoriously difficult to land. As it approaches the runway, the cushion of air provided by the high-lift wings in ground effect is so pronounced that the U-2 will not land unless the wing is fully stalled

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I wonder why ??  ;)
I honestly think all SR-71s (and all the other variants) have been scrapped or put in museum.  They have been all accounted for.  It'd be fairly easy to know if it was still in use since it uses a different fuel than any other aircraft.

Now, whether or not that capability has been kept through another program, I am not sure...

SupersonicMax said:
I honestly think all SR-71s (and all the other variants) have been scrapped or put in museum.  They have been all accounted for.  It'd be fairly easy to know if it was still in use since it uses a different fuel than any other aircraft.

Now, whether or not that capability has been kept through another program, I am not sure...

According to Wikipedia, 32 aircraft were built, 12 lost in accidents (none to enemy action), and like you say, the rest are in museums.

Back