• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UK think tank urges visa free travel between UK, Canada, Australia, etc.

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
One way to tie Commonwealth dominions (as well as republics like Singapore, Malaysia and India that are also Commonwealth members) closer together?

If I can recall correctly, the UK has a "Youth Mobility Visa" that allows citizens of Canada, Australia and NZ who are under 30 to work in the UK for 2 years.

Daily Brew/Yahoo News

Think-tank calls for free travel between Canada, other Commonwealth countries

Canadians who want to live or travel in the United Kingdom could be granted the ability to do so without the current shackles of visa requirements and limitations, should the UK parliament heed the call of a British think-tank.

That call involves urging for the creation of a vast “bilateral mobility zone” that would give citizens of the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and Canada the ability to travel freely between those Commonwealth nations without the need for work or travel visas.

"We want to add distinct value to Commonwealth citizenship for those who wish to visit, work or study in the U.K.," reads the report released by the Commonwealth Exchange. "The Commonwealth matters to the U.K. because it represents not just the nation’s past but also its legacy in the present, and its expanded potential in the U.K.’s future."

The idea of easier mobility between Canada and some of its closest Commonwealth allies would be an exciting concept. There are currently 90,000 Canadian-born residents of the U.K., and another 34,000 living in Australia and New Zealand.

(...SNIPPED)

I have no concern with this other then some minor ones re work visas.  I think it's important that the work visa provisions not be abused.  Not so much by Aussies or Brits picking up and coming here but with the actual work visa provisions of the various countries involved.  For example, lets just suppose that it was easier for someone to get a work visa to the UK which would then allow them to get to Canada or Australia where they would otherwise have been denied.  Given the nature of the countries mentioned by this think tank I don't think it's much of a worry but its what comes to mind quickest for me when I ponder the topic.

Schindler's Lift said:
I have no concern with this other then some minor ones re work visas.  I think it's important that the work visa provisions not be abused.  Not so much by Aussies or Brits picking up and coming here but with the actual work visa provisions of the various countries involved.  For example, lets just suppose that it was easier for someone to get a work visa to the UK which would then allow them to get to Canada or Australia where they would otherwise have been denied.  Given the nature of the countries mentioned by this think tank I don't think it's much of a worry but its what comes to mind quickest for me when I ponder the topic.

The proposal here is for citizens, not just people looking for work visas though:

That call involves urging for the creation of a vast “bilateral mobility zone” that would give citizens of the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and Canada the ability to travel freely between those Commonwealth nations without the need for work or travel visas.

Back