• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UN Driver Taskings

CobraBalls

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering how it works with the Canadian U.N. observer postings with regards to driver taskings?

Do the officers deployed drive themselves around in U.N. vehicles ( Toyota Landcruisers, Land Rovers etc), do they have local chauffeurs or are there taskings somewhere in the CF for drivers on U.N. missions? If so, what type of 404s does one need? On a side note, do we currently deploy any of our own vehicles on U.N. observer missions?

The short answer to your questions is that it varies.  I've never been an UNMO, but I have been a UN Staff Officer.  I did not have a driver and had to drive myself.  Some very high ranking officers (e.g. mission commander, deputy commander, chief of staff, etc) will sometimes be provided with drivers.

I drove a Nissan Patrol 4x4 (now know never to buy one) with a manual transmission.  I have a 404, but had to take a test for a UN Driver's Licence anyway.

All contributions to UN missions are negotiated with each contributing nation separately.  Large contingents normally bring their own equipment (although they paint it in UN colours).  In fact, it's written into the agreement exactly what they are required to provide.  There is a whole administrative system to track this and theoretically if the UN HQ notices that one contingent only has 20 trucks when the agreement says they're supposed to have 25, then the UN can reduce the money they pay the contributing nation for their contribution.  Individual augmentees (as most staff officers are) will be provided equipment directly from the UN.

Good answer Pusser  (and to add to that )
When you are tasked to go on a small mission/un or otherwise they send you on the United Nations Military Observers Course (UNMO ) here in Ontario you must pass the drivers test including driving a standard veh as all UNMO are required to drive .Most UNMO`s I have dealt with  drive Toyota`s but I have seen some wiird types in Africa. The bottom line is most guys end up being up Country 6-8 hours away from the city and you cannot expect your team mate and or a civilian drive you around all the time , Especially when your going into unfriendly territory .When you get into country everyone must pass the UN road test to get a UN drivers permit for that Mission .

Back