• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Up to par?

stefwills

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I will be handing my ROTP application in to the recruiting centre within the next few days. I suffered in high school due to several family mishaps and two deaths. Basically, I lost focus on what I REALLY wanted, I wanted ROTP, and still do. I am currently attending college taking a Pre-Nursing prep course for University next year. My average floats around 80% and I play competitive sports, I am my program student president, I was the recipient of an award from the Governor General a few back, and I am an overall well rounded person. I was wondering, being a Senior Applicant, will my high school marks play a major role in my acceptance?

All HS marks will be assessed, however, if you've done well in post-sec don't sweat it!

Dude seriously. A roughly 80% average, you play sports, you are involved in a leadership role in a student body organization, and an award from the GG? Don't sweat it. They will look at your HS marks, just as MedTech says, but it won't be all important. If only we had more well rounded cadets round these parts. Cheers, good luck, and hopefully see you 'round the campus.

TDV

Lumber my boy, he may not be going to RMC, after all ROTP includes the CiviU types;) but in all honesty best of luck to you!

NCdt Lumber said:
Dude seriously. A roughly 80% average, you play sports, you are involved in a leadership role in a student body organization, and an award from the GG? Don't sweat it. They will look at your HS marks, just as MedTech says, but it won't be all important. If only we had more well rounded cadets round these parts. Cheers, good luck, and hopefully see you 'round the campus.

TDV

I'm not quite sure that selection works that way any more. I just finished with my ROTP application today, and during the interview it was explained to me that acceptance to RMC/ROTP is based purely on marks and the essay you submit (academic potential), not your military potential. Military potential is now calculated at the end of first year to decide what trade you will be accepted into. While being involved is great, it does not fully come into play until the end of first year.

If you're right, that it quite unfortunate. I have extensive leadership experience, alot of teamworking skills from playing competitive sports, and award from the Governor General, but because I suffer a little more in the classroom, I will not be accepted? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the military is also good at bringing the highest potential out of their members? I know I have what it takes, marks or not, so I will continue with my application.

I'm submitting my application this Friday.  I sure hope it isn't all marks - I've got a 75 Average over the last two years of university, and am very involved with the extra-curriculars, but Its still a bit disconcerting.

Any advice on how to answer the "Questions" section?  Should that be me answering A, B, and C - or should it be an essay, as it seemed GGHG_Cadet implied?

And also, there is no way my trade could be decided at the end of my first year. I plan on attending Civie U for the Nursing program. Also, when I was at the CFRC in Ottawa, I specifically asked what the academic requirements were, full aware of the answer. He did inform me that marks were a big factor, but not the only factor. Contrary to what GGHG_Cadet said, the recruiter emphasized that they look for a more well rounded candidate with well developped physical fitness, leadership qualities, and an overall motivation and desire to become an Officer in the CF.

Keeping in mind that NOTHING and I mean NOTHING on this site that is said is anywhere NEAR gospil. Another words the only way you'll know for sure is to contact CFRC (which you have) and apply. RMC requirements are alittle different. Like I said good luck, and stop worrying about it.

Thanks MedTech. I hear what you're saying. ROTP has been my motivation for some time now. I'm still going to worry about getting in, it's natural, but it's nice to have people, such as yourself, come in here and re assure us!

stefwills said:
And also, there is no way my trade could be decided at the end of my first year. I plan on attending Civie U for the Nursing program. Also, when I was at the CFRC in Ottawa, I specifically asked what the academic requirements were, full aware of the answer. He did inform me that marks were a big factor, but not the only factor. Contrary to what GGHG_Cadet said, the recruiter emphasized that they look for a more well rounded candidate with well developped physical fitness, leadership qualities, and an overall motivation and desire to become an Officer in the CF.

I was under the same impression until today when I did my interview. The recruiters assured me that I was a good candidate because of my average marks and strong extra-curricular involvement, so I would have a good to average academic potential, and a good military potential. Today in my interview the captain informed me that the selection process for ROTP/RMC this year had changed and he proceeded to list those changes, one of which was the scoring of just academic potential and not the military potential.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, but instead I am just passing along what I was told today, and really wish I had known earlier. All I can say is write a good essay, as that seems to be the other thing that they weigh heavily. Everyone I spoke to at the CFRC told me to take my time and ensure that the essay made me competitive, so I figured it must be important and did my best on it.

Good luck to all those applying.

GGHG_Cadet said:
I was under the same impression until today when I did my interview. The recruiters assured me that I was a good candidate because of my average marks and strong extracurricular involvement, so I would have a good to average academic potential, and a good military potential. Today in my interview the captain informed me that the selection process for ROTP/RMC this year had changed and he proceeded to list those changes, one of which was the scoring of just academic potential and not the military potential.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, but instead I am just passing along what I was told today, and really wish I had known earlier. All I can say is write a good essay, as that seems to be the other thing that they weigh heavily. Everyone I spoke to at the CFRC told me to take my time and ensure that the essay made me competitive, so I figured it must be important and did my best on it.

Good luck to all those applying.

Why on earth would they change it??? I submitted my application last Friday, and the WO didn't say a peep about admission being (now) solely based on academics. This does not bode well, my academics are average, but I have a plethora of extracurricular activities. The WO said I would be a competitive applicant (brought in last years marks transcripts) because of my extracurricular.

Joyous occasion.....

The most frustrating thing for me is how they waited until the interview to tell me about the "new" scoring, and how they are now choosing trades for you at the end of first year and not before you join. It seems as every time I go into the CFRC something changes, first I filled out last years package so then I had to write an essay and fill out an additional section, then when I came back I had to fill out this years package, even though it was word for word the same as last years except for the essay and another section, and now they are telling me acceptance is based on marks, and that I will be accepted into trade groups, not an actual trade. Even now that all my stuff is in, they'll probably contact me because of new changes...

Stefwills, you are applying for ROTP Civie U not ROTP RMC so stop worrying and wait to see what happens with your application

People should stop panicking.  Your grades and your extracurricular activities are still being taken into account.  Academic potential is the overall factor but your extracurricular activities are also being looked at by RMC.  That's why they have you fill out all that stuff in the ROTP application about sports and interests.  The big difference is the occupation selection where you will be enrolled into an occupational group and not a specific MOSID.  Your performance in first year will have an impact on that.  MOSID will be assigned at the end of your first year.  For programs like Nursing, the selection will be done the same way it always has.  And these changes are not initiated by the recruiting group.  This is RMC's baby.  So yes, expect more changes and live with it.  Or do something else, plenty of people are more than willing to accept the changes and roll with the punches.

Does anyone know, on average, how many candidates are selected for ROTP Civie U nursing per year?

stefwills said:
Does anyone know, on average, how many candidates are selected for ROTP Civie U nursing per year?

When I was in the business there were approximately 15-20 spots available each year. Of course the number available each year depends on the requirements of the Nursing Branch.  Check with your local CFRC/D as the numbers should for this year should be available or soon will be.  Good Luck.

I know that they're taking 60 for MARS, 60 for PLT and 30 for Armour. I remember seeing something in Medical Branch that only had 2 spots. The total (ALL trades) is in the mid 500's.

Dropped off my application today - now we commence the waiting game...

Hopefully it'll be more expedient than the PRes app!  I'm not worried, the Det seemed like a very switched-on place.

Back