• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US closing all Embassies,Consulates in Islamic world due to unspecified threat

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
...and it revolves around an unspecified threat for Sunday, August 4th.  ???

Link

US to close embassies, consulates in Muslim world Sunday, after receiving unspecified threat

AP WASHINGTON — The United States is shuttering its embassies and consulates throughout the Muslim world on Sunday after receiving an unspecified threat, officials said.

State Department officials said Thursday that they were taking action out of an “abundance of caution.”

Spokeswoman Marie Harf cited information indicating a threat to U.S. facilities overseas and said some diplomatic offices may stay closed for more than a day.

Other U.S. officials said the threat was in the Muslim world, where Sunday is a workday. American diplomatic missions in Europe, Latin America and many other places are closed on Sunday.

Those officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly about the matter.

The State Department issued a major warning last year informing American diplomatic facilities across the Muslim world about potential violence connected to the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

(...)

And, according to a report in the Globe and Mail the US has followed up with a global travel alert, citing the same al-Qaeda threat.

The Globe and Mail quotes the State Department statement on the matter as saying, "“Current information suggests that al-Qaeda and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks both in the region and beyond, and that they may focus efforts to conduct attacks in the period between now and the end of August.”

But the distinguished, albeit always controversial, American historian Daniel Pipes is unimpressed in this post which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from his blog:

http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2013/08/on-closed-embassies-the-worldwide-travel-alert
On Closed Embassies, the Worldwide Travel Alert, and Wimpitude

by Daniel Pipes

August 3, 2013
Cross-posted from National Review Online, The Corner

In April, the city of Boston was effectively under military curfew because two terrorists were on the loose. Now, fears of al-Qaeda attacking has led the U.S. government to close 21 U.S. embassies in Muslim-majority countries and then issue a worldwide travel alert announcing that "Terrorists may elect to use a variety of means and weapons and target both official and private interests. U.S. citizens are reminded of the potential for terrorists to attack public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure."

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin Dempsey, said that the two steps result from "a significant threat stream" and so the authorities "are taking it seriously."

2385.jpg

Comments:

(1) Don't know about you, but I find this pre-emptive cringing unworthy of a great country, even humiliating. Why do we allow a bunch of extremist thugs to close us down, rather than the reverse? For what purpose do we pay for the world's best military and largest intelligence services if not to protect ourselves from this sort of threat?

(2) This timidity fits into a larger pattern that I have long found reprehensible. Here's a comment of mine from 1998 I should like to resurrect, that responded to the double bombings of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania almost exactly fifteen years ago, on Aug. 7, 1998:

It'll be a happy day when American embassies are again built in busy downtown intersections out of normal materials - and not, as they are now, bunkers located in distant lots surrounded by high fences. Such a
    change will only be possible when the safety of Americans depends not on walls, metal detectors and Marine guards, but on the deterrence established by years of terrible retribution against anyone who so much
    as harms a single American citizen.

Deterrence, not shuttering the bunkers we call embassies, is the solution. Maybe Obama's successor will understand this imperative.

(August 3, 2013)

Prof Pipes has often been quoted as saying that (military) victory is the most (only?) effective way to terminate conflict, so this is consistent with his position.

"the deterrence established by years of terrible retribution against anyone who so much
    as harms a single ****** citizen."

Thanks ERC for the quote

I suggest that the original quote was "Oderint Dum Metuant"  attributed to
Lucius Accius, seems that a more modern Roman Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus made the motto his own as well.

I understand it didn't do him much good

I believe that others have attempted to get the concept to work as well. So far as I know they only achieved short term success.

If one's latin is a spot out of date a link to the translation is here : http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/29386.html

Im currently in one of these countries........I can tell you for a fact, they're taking this threat very seriously.  The local authorities here have stepped up their presence, searching vehicles as they enter the embassy area.

We're joining in.  Shared under Sec 29 of the Copyright Act.

Canada shuts Bangladesh mission amid terror fears
U.S. embassies in Muslim world to close Sunday due to al-Qaeda threat
CBC News Posted: Aug 3, 2013 11:18 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 3, 2013 11:47 PM ET 
Canada is to close its high comission office in Bangladesh on Sunday amid U.S. warnings of terrorist threats against western countries in the region.

The current travel warning on the foreign affairs site, updated Saturday afternoon says: "There is no nationwide advisory in effect for Bangladesh. However, you should exercise a high degree of caution due to the fragile political situation. Political demonstrations, nationwide hartals (enforced strikes) and violent clashes are occurring frequently and are expected to continue. The security situation could deteriorate quickly."

Meanwhile, Britain, France and Germany are closing their embassies in Yemen on Sunday and Monday, which follows in the wake of the United States, which issued a global travel alert yesterday citing an al-Qaeda threat. That alert also caused the State Department to announce it would close its embassies this Sunday around the Muslim world.

Interpol issued a global security alert Saturday in connection with suspected al-Qaeda involvement in several recent prison escapes including those in Iraq, Libya and Pakistan. The alert calls on Interpol's 190 member countries to help determine whether these events are co-ordinated or linked. The Lyon, France-based international police agency said it issues such alerts fairly regularly.

Friday's U.S. advisory prompted Canada's Foreign Affairs Department to release its own warning for travellers and diplomats in the Middle East and North Africa region. The department stated that Canadians are at a reasonably "elevated risk" of attack due to the threat facing a "close friend and ally."

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird is encouraging Canadian travellers and diplomats in North Africa and the Middle East to exercise added caution following the U.S. travel alert in the region.

The U.S. State Department warned American citizens on Friday of the potential for terrorism particularly in the Middle East and North Africa, with a possible attack occurring or coming from the Arabian Peninsula.

"Current information suggests that al-Qaeda and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks both in the region and beyond, and that they may focus efforts to conduct attacks in the period between now and the end of August," the statement said.

The top U-S military commander says there is what he calls "a significant threat stream."

Joint Chiefs Chairman General Martin Dempsey says the threat was "more specific" than previous ones and that potential targets are Western, not just U.S. interests."

Avoid tourist sites
Friday's alert warned that al-Qaeda or its allies may target U.S. government or private American interests. It cited dangers involved with public transportation systems and other prime sites for tourists, noting that previous terrorist attacks have centred on subway and rail networks as well as airplanes and boats.

"U.S. citizens should take every precaution to be aware of their surroundings and to adopt appropriate safety measures to protect themselves when travelling," the department said. It recommended that Americans travelling overseas register with consular authorities on a travel registration website.

'I would especially stay away from hotels, these big, high-profile hotels that have been hit in the past.'

—Scott Stewart, ex-special agent with U.S. State DepartmentScott Stewart, a former special agent with the U.S. State Department, told CBC News that he wouldn't suggest that people cancel their vacation plans, but he had a warning for "Westerners already living in these countries."

"I’d certainly be careful if I were a Canadian or any Westerner living [in the Middle East, North Africa or Afghanistan]," Stewart said in an interview on Friday afternoon. "I would especially stay away from hotels, these big, high-profile hotels that have been hit in the past."

The alert was posted a day after the U.S. announced it would close 21 embassies and consulates this Sunday in the Muslim world because of an unspecified threat. Spokeswoman Marie Harf said the department acted out of an "abundance of caution" and that some missions may stay closed for longer than a day.

List of embassies shut
The U.S. embassies closing their doors on Sunday are located in the following cities:

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Algiers, Algeria.
Amman, Jordan.
Baghdad, Iraq.
Cairo, Egypt.
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
Djibouti, Djibouti.
Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Doha, Qatar.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Erbil, Iraq.
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Kabul, Afghanistan.
Khartoum, Sudan.
Kuwait City, Kuwait.
Manama, Bahrain.
Muscat, Oman.
Nouakchott, Mauritania.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Sanaa, Yemen.
Tripoli, Libya.
With files from The Associated Press

This makes no sense.

If I was a terrorist, I would simply wait until they reopened for business, give them a day to get over the Nervous Nellies, then visit them.

It's not about the anniversary date of the attack, it's about the attack....

GAP said:
This makes no sense.

If I was a terrorist, I would simply wait until they reopened for business, give them a day to get over the Nervous Nellies, then visit them.

It's not about the anniversary date of the attack, it's about the attack....

I read something about this being the umpteenth day of Ramadan, which makes it auspicious for attacking the infidel ... or something like that. I think some groups are more attached to significant dates/anniversaries than others.

E.R. Campbell said:
I read something about this being the umpteenth day of Ramadan, which makes it auspicious for attacking the infidel ... or something like that. I think some groups are more attached to significant dates/anniversaries than others.

Isn't that pretty much akin to a Bond Villain saying when (maybe not how) they will attack?  Does anyone else think this is a bad strategy for the folks wanting to attack?

Didn't the POTUS declare the war on terror over and various terror groups defeated by the mighty Obama. That is why Benghazi was a spontaneous demonstration

Dimsum said:
Isn't that pretty much akin to a Bond Villain saying when (maybe not how) they will attack?  Does anyone else think this is a bad strategy for the folks wanting to attack?

Not really, you create chaos, disruption and unease without firing a shot.  Every time some bearded arsehole squatting in a cave in Outer Wackawackastan farts, the western world goes into a full flinch.  They don't need to set off a firecracker to fulfil the terror mandate, we're already terrorized.

Kat Stevens said:
Not really, you create chaos, disruption and unease without firing a shot.  Every time some bearded arsehole squatting in a cave Outer Wackawackastan farts, the western world goes into a full flinch.  They don't need to set off a firecracker to fulfil the terror mandate, we're already terrorized.

:goodpost:

Yep, and just in case Omar the Unwashed doesn't understand that, we flinch and scurry to our bunkers to make sure he gets it.

Rifleman62 said:
Didn't the POTUS declare the war on terror over and various terror groups defeated by the mighty Obama. That is why Benghazi was a spontaneous demonstration
Which is why he's golfing and celebrating his birthday at Camp David.  No pesky security concern is going to interfere with his daily activities.  Doing so would be telling the terrorists that they have won. 

a possible secondary benefit might be that media resources devoted to this story are not devoted to others like say Manning and Snowden.

Spanky said:
Which is why he's golfing and celebrating his birthday at Camp David.  No pesky security concern is going to interfere with his daily activities.  Doing so would be telling the terrorists that they have won.

Maybe he should try golfing at the Benghazi Golf and Curling Club on Sunday.

Inquisitor said:
a possible secondary benefit might be that media resources devoted to this story are not devoted to others like say Manning and Snowden.

No need; as Kat Stevens pointed out, elsewhere on Army.ca, Hollywood is now seized with the issue of the heroic exploits of Manning and Snowden so there's no requirement for further any media probing or analysis: we all know what to think now.

Excellent - Team America is one of my favourite movies. Dare we hope for Team America 2 with two villlains replacing Michael Moore" Probably not, what would they use for the secret headquarters that got blown up in the original?

Inquisitor said:
If not those two, then there is the IRS issue.

So now it turns out the certain embassies are down for a week

Didn't POTUS make some pretty speeches about Americans not giving in to terror?

I cant take credit for this but here is a comment from the web that seems to have merit

For the last several months we have heard about all sorts of intelligence gathering- both foreign and domestic. If I were an Al-Qaeda officer- I would selectively put out misinformation about an "attack thru very limited channels and sit back and watch for a reaction....it would tell me where the eavesdropping is happening and takes very little resources and effort. Once I know where not to send info- them my communications network becomes far more secure.

The sad part about this alert is that we have come full circle in our system of informing the public- W was ridiculed for the color code system of public awareness- now we have a government that tells us attack is imminent- and we need to register if we are overseas and report anything suspicious we observe domestically- aka spy on each other.

Back