• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

V-Adm Art McDonald new Canadian CDS (Jan-Feb 2021)

My apologies if this has already been posted.

Navy commander Art McDonald tapped to steer Canadian military as new defence chief

By Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press — Dec 23 2020

20201223131212-5fe388b796b67b13053eb666jpeg.jpg

OTTAWA — The federal Liberal government has tapped a sailor to steer the Canadian Armed Forces, appointing Royal Canadian Navy commander Vice-Admiral Art McDonald as the next chief of the defence staff.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced McDonald’s appointment during one of his regular COVID-19 updates on Wednesday, ending months of speculation about who would succeed Gen. Jonathan Vance as Canada’s top military commander.

“In his new role as chief, Vice-Admiral McDonald will oversee the work of the Canadian Armed Forces, including on vaccine rollout through Operation Vector,” Trudeau said in reference to the military’s role distributing COVID-19 vaccines across Canada.

“I know that Vice-Admiral McDonald's leadership and expertise will be invaluable as the armed forces continue to work around the clock to keep Canadians safe.”

A former frigate captain who oversaw part of Canada’s humanitarian response to the devastating earthquake in Haiti in 2010 before commanding the country’s Pacific fleet, McDonald will be the first naval officer to serve as the permanent defence chief since 1993.

A change of command ceremony is planned for the week of Jan. 11, when McDonald will formally take over from Vance.

Wednesday’s announcement followed months of speculation around who would succeed Vance, who first announced in July that he was planning to retire after more than five years at the helm.

Much of the speculation had revolved around whether Trudeau would appoint Canada’s first-ever female chief of the defence staff by tapping Lt.-Gen. Christine Whitecross for the job.

Not only was Whitecross the highest-ranking woman to have served in uniform, she also led the military’s early efforts to crack down on sexual misconduct in the ranks following the launch of Operation Honour in 2015.

Trudeau also raised eyebrows when he declared in an interview last week that one of the next defence chief’s top priorities would be to crack down on right-wing extremism, white supremacy and hate in the Armed Forces.

Yet McDonald’s appointment speaks to another looming challenge for the military and Liberal government: the ongoing effort to build a fleet of new warships for the Navy, and concerns the $56 billion set aside by Ottawa for those 15 ships won’t be nearly enough.

The parliamentary budget officer will release a report next month on the expected costs of those warships. There has been a great deal of handwringing inside the Department of National Defence and some corners of government that the price will be billions higher.

That would set off a fresh round of lobbying by defence companies — and add more pressure on the government — to abandon the project, which is supposed to see 15 Type-26 frigates built at Irving Shipyards in Halifax over the next 20 years, and go another route.

It is also likely to force some tough discussions within the military and government about whether to throw more money at the project, which was originally budgeted at $24 billion when it was launched in 2011 — or dramatically scale back the plan.

While the government made no mention of the warship project as it announced McDonald’s appointment on Wednesday, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said the new defence chief will be responsible for continuing to implement the Liberals’ 2017 defence policy.

That includes spending billions of dollars over the next 20 years on new equipment.

Sajjan said in a statement that McDonald will also “continue the work to transform the culture of the Canadian Armed Forces to ensure zero tolerance for sexual misconduct and harassment while eliminating hateful conduct and systemic racism from the organization.”

Trudeau and Sajjan also thanked Vance for his service, including his more than five years as chief of the defence staff, the longest-ever tenure for a Canadian military officer in that position.

Vance took over as defence chief in July 2015 as the military was fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in the Middle East and struggling to deal with complaints about sexual misconduct at home. His first order was to establish Operation Honour.

McDonald will be the first naval officer to serve as the military’s top commander since vice-admiral Larry Murray filled the position on an acting basis in 1996-97. The last sailor to hold the position on a permanent basis since Admiral John Rogers Anderson in 1993.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 23, 2020.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

Link [/url

- mod edit to add dates in thread title -

Last edited by a moderator:
A succession planned person is likely not the best option for OUTCAN unless it is a job fits into career stream.
That‘s one way to look at it. Another data point is that Admiral McDonald is the first CDS in almost 30 years that has never had an OUTCAN posting (the last previous one being Admiral Anderson in 1993). So there isn’t that much evidence that an OUTCAN posting is career limiting. But yes, not all OUTCAN positions are created equal. And they were probably more prestigious back in the CFE days in Germany.

CoC was supposed to be held on Friday. Based on recent events, including the cancelled posting to Naples, LGen Coates is still Comd CJOC. Hang tight for the next GOFO msg (and then the one after that when displeased GOFO's vote with their feet)
From what I heard the impetus to CJOC moving was a retirement of the General at Naples.
Is the bench getting a little thin? Or are the dinosaurs getting hit with the #MeTooMeteor?

Can we split this into a new topic in radio chatter and leave this thread to just talk about the CDS and the troublesome situation that is going on currently?
I agree with dangerboy on this. We are down the rabbit hole again.

Can we split this into a new topic in radio chatter and leave this thread to just talk about the CDS and the troublesome situation that is going on currently?

[Split] Discussion: Who is a civilian?​

2 pages.

I wonder if it gets to the point where we need to go outside to manage the CAF? It's not like this is the only issue or that we didn't just burn through a lot of VCDS as well

I wonder if it gets to the point where we need to go outside to manage the CAF? It's not like this is the only issue or that we didn't just burn through a lot of VCDS as well

Based on reading between the lines of this statement by the new A/CDS, there will be alot of people 'going outside' the CAF when the next round of 'Mea Culpa' programs gets rammed home.

Will hair shirts be on issue or can you provide your own?

‘Beyond troubling’ behaviour in army needs to be addressed, acting defence chief says​

Canada’s acting chief of defence staff says that some elements of the country’s military culture “need, must and will change” in his first public statement since his appointment.

The statement, which was released by Lieutenant-General Wayne Eyre on Twitter Saturday, comes as two of Canada’s former military chiefs face investigations over allegations — at least one of which includes claims of sexual misconduct.

“None of us should ever tolerate, or condone, behaviour or attitudes that threaten the wellbeing of our people. The road ahead will not be easy, but we will emerge a stronger, better, and more effective Force.”

Eyre’s statement marks what has been an unprecedented month for the Canadian Forces.

Experts have since told Global News that the two probes into the current and former defence chiefs mark an institutional “crisis” for the CAF — marking the need to confront questions over how Canada’s military could undergo cultural change.

“Cultural change is really hard and it does take a long time,” said Linna Tam-Seto, a postdoctoral fellow at the Centre for International and Defence Policy at Queen’s University, during a previous interview with Global News.

“It’s more than just addressing sexual misconduct. It’s essentially shifting the culture of this hyper-masculine culture that is based on power.”

Based on reading between the lines of this statement by the new A/CDS, there will be alot of people 'going outside' the CAF when the next round of 'Mea Culpa' programs gets rammed home.

Will hair shirts be on issue or can you provide your own?

‘Beyond troubling’ behaviour in army needs to be addressed, acting defence chief says​

Canada’s acting chief of defence staff says that some elements of the country’s military culture “need, must and will change” in his first public statement since his appointment.

The statement, which was released by Lieutenant-General Wayne Eyre on Twitter Saturday, comes as two of Canada’s former military chiefs face investigations over allegations — at least one of which includes claims of sexual misconduct.

“None of us should ever tolerate, or condone, behaviour or attitudes that threaten the wellbeing of our people. The road ahead will not be easy, but we will emerge a stronger, better, and more effective Force.”

Eyre’s statement marks what has been an unprecedented month for the Canadian Forces.

Experts have since told Global News that the two probes into the current and former defence chiefs mark an institutional “crisis” for the CAF — marking the need to confront questions over how Canada’s military could undergo cultural change.

“Cultural change is really hard and it does take a long time,” said Linna Tam-Seto, a postdoctoral fellow at the Centre for International and Defence Policy at Queen’s University, during a previous interview with Global News.

“It’s more than just addressing sexual misconduct. It’s essentially shifting the culture of this hyper-masculine culture that is based on power.”

Just in the army, huh? All you fly guys and boat people are good to go, it seems.

In light of everything going on, finishing off that CDS letter with a "how about that pay raise right?" was a pretty big swing and a miss IMO.

Last edited:
I don't fondly recall the post Somalia days. The stupid one day search for documents that related to Somalia. 1 CAD - or whatever it was called at that time took it extremely seriously while us crayon eaters laughed at the whole stupid idea.
The disbandment of the CAR was especially upsetting to a number of my peers who had served honorably in that Regiment.

Changing culture - again. First -Stop consulting "experts" who have never served ONE DAY in the service of their nation. I'm sure the CAF knows what it has to do - but can it?

I don't fondly recall the post Somalia days. The stupid one day search for documents that related to Somalia. 1 CAD - or whatever it was called at that time took it extremely seriously while us crayon eaters laughed at the whole stupid idea.
The disbandment of the CAR was especially upsetting to a number of my peers who had served honorably in that Regiment.

Changing culture - again. First -Stop consulting "experts" who have never served ONE DAY in the service of their nation. I'm sure the CAF knows what it has to do - but can it?
Unfortunately house cleaning may be in order. If I was CDS, I'd order every one over the rank of major be revetted.

Unfortunately house cleaning may be in order. If I was CDS, I'd order every one over the rank of major be revetted.
I'm certain they all know who the "bad apples" are. Can the CAF cull the herd where it needs to?

What does that even mean? How would it manifest itself? Who would do the "vetting"?

Let's be very careful here. If you are saying that we can no longer trust anyone above the rank of Major (or perhaps above the age of 35) then we have major problems.

Who is going to be in charge of this "house cleaning"? Politicians? Consultants? Corporals? Random Internet people?

What does that even mean? How would it manifest itself? Who would do the "vetting"?

Let's be very careful here. If you are saying that we can no longer trust anyone above the rank of Major (or perhaps above the age of 35) then we have major problems.

Who is going to be in charge of this "house cleaning"? Politicians? Consultants? Corporals? Random Internet people?
All I am saying is that we have gone through 2 CDS's and the deputy NORAD commander. Some due diligence is in order to see of anyone else has anything that might come up from the past.

As for who, authority should still rest with CDS and the VCDS to remove anyone. We still have policies and procedures, let's just get it right this time. If the allegations against Vance were known 3 years ago, or earlier they should of been investigated, full stop, no one should be above OP honor, even if that means an out side agency investigates.

Back