• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

Don't know if this has been posted before but it looks like VAC is working towards improving the wait times and have been trialing some things since August 2018. Have a read thru.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/publications-reports/reports/departmental-plan/2019-2020/report/2-0

We are changing the way we get service health records from the Department of National Defence by identifying the precise information we need and arranging for direct access to required records. As a result, adjudicators will have more timely access to review service health records which will allow for faster processing of applications.

One of my applications has been sitting at Step 1 for 3 months even though they admitted they have everything they need because I made sure I got copies of medical reports etc and send them myself.  At the end of July, someone from the Disability Benefits unit called to tell me they need to get an update of my medical file.  That's fine but why does it take 3 months and if they are only going to be asking for precise info related to the condition, why are they asking for an entire update?  They're for of s**t.

Just to give some hope to people, my application for tinnitus was completed today, although I still don't have the decision letter yet so I don't know the results and its too early to celebrate. But my application was submitted on 5 mar 19, so 34 weeks, which is still longer than the 24 weeks of the wait tool.

I was also explained that when they tell us that they're working on files from lets say Mar 2018, that just means that their oldest application is from that time but it does not mean that they are not looking at more recent files, case in point my own case.

Anyways hope this provides a bit of optimism for some that are still waiting.

Congrats,
Mine was completed 10 days ago and it was submitted in February. If you log onto MyVAC account and look at your payments section, look to see if there is an increase or a new line entered and that will let you know if it was favourable or not. That was what happened with me, I got an email saying it was completed. Logged in, looked at the payment section, saw the new entry. Called to confirm and ask for lump sum option. Lump sum form came on Monday.
Its a good feeling to see it finally complete!

How long did it take for you guys to receive lump some once the paperwork for the request was submitted? I know the time frame says 6 weeks. But I’m curious as to people’s personal experience. I submitted it Oct 18.

lapinpunki said:
How long did it take for you guys to receive lump some once the paperwork for the request was submitted? I know the time frame says 6 weeks. But I’m curious as to people’s personal experience. I submitted it Oct 18.

It took 5 weeks after I waited 6 weeks for the paperwork to get to me. So about 11 weeks total which seems to be a pretty standard wait time.

Tcm621 said:
It took 5 weeks after I waited 6 weeks for the paperwork to get to me. So about 11 weeks total which seems to be a pretty standard wait time.

Hmm, took 2 weeks from the day I requested the paperwork for the lump sum to the day I got it in my inbox.
I sent the request in that same day. It’s been 18 days now that the request is in. I wonder what makes the wait time so different for people.

I agree, it does not make sense for the wait times. I was notified of my award decision on Oct 18, which I figured out was favourable. Called immediately and asked for the lump sum forms. Got the forms on Oct 28 and sent them back within an hour. Now I am at one week plus a day waiting for the deposit.
I have seen people say on some facebook veterans groups that they waited 6-8 weeks for the forms themselves, and some have been waiting 10+ weeks for the depost. Others say they get the form in 3-5 days and the deposit a week later.
I love how they make so much sense!

Got lump sum form after about 2 1/2 week wait. Submitted 4 Oct and still waiting for deposit. Promising 15 Nov hopefully that's true.

There is literally no excuse of why this is taking so long. Prior to this, all they did were lump sum payouts. What could have possibly changed that the process now takes over 3 months when it took about week prior to PFL.

Vac website does not have any wait time listed for additional pain and suffering benefit, does anyone have any insight on this?

Mediman14 said:
Vac website does not have any wait time listed for additional pain and suffering benefit, does anyone have any insight on this?

From other people that have inquired with VAC that I've heard from recently they seem to be working on March 2019 applications.

Mediman14 said:

Teager is correct, kind of, I have one in, however they are still processing CIA from 2018 as well.

Anyone else notice the wait times haven't been updated in more than two weeks now

lapinpunki said:
Hmm, took 2 weeks from the day I requested the paperwork for the lump sum to the day I got it in my inbox.
I sent the request in that same day. It’s been 18 days now that the request is in. I wonder what makes the wait time so different for people.

Did you submit the request by mail or by your VAC account? I got my form in my VAC account inbox yesterday and submitted it online. I wonder if the 6 week guideline is only for those using snail mail.

slayer14 said:
Did you submit the request by mail or by your VAC account? I got my form in my VAC account inbox yesterday and submitted it online. I wonder if the 6 week guideline is only for those using snail mail.

It's not for me. Submitted electronically 4 October and still waiting. Hitting 6 weeks mark this Friday so hopefully get it then.

I would call them and ask. I called today and aside from the guy getting irritated that I called to ask him about my lump sum, he very politely  ::) told me that it would not be processed until the 6th week as described in the paperwork. When I attempted to ask him another question, he said "Have a good day" and hung up
Its not hard to tell they get lots of calls about this, but when we request our lump sum and they do the paperwork to give us the actual amount, it can't be that much harder to push the button to make the deposit

So rude sometimes... I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and tell myself they may have been having a bad day, but customer service is customer service. Be polite and courteous.

On a side note, I noticed on a Facebook group that some people have waited 8 weeks to receive their lump sum! Crazy!!

Oh I totally agree. I always do my best to give the benefit of the doubt. I had called last week as well (more concerned about my ETB payment for school) and I casually asked about it. The lady was great and said its right around 6 weeks for the deposit, she has seen some faster and some slower. She was great, however today, not so much

Back