• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

My file is at 57 weeks. I just heard back from the minister’s office, there are about 200 files in adjudication ahead of mine. They said to call VAC back in the new year for an update.

Unreal how long this takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder how the calculations due for April are going to slow things down even more.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Marking time. Dog won’t like it but he gets it.
200 plus 30 weeks. Outstanding in the rain. So by my crummy calculations, I’ll get back from VA sometime in July.. expect to be kicked in the nuts after 3+years since the diagnosis.

Every claim is different and every claim will end up taking as long as it takes. Not comforting, I know, but that's the way it is. There is no recourse.

Sometimes, if you can prove they are causing financial hardship to yourself, they'll flag it for a look and see if you are hard up enough to help. That also takes ?? weeks. Your claim might be settled before they decide whether you're hard up enough to be jumped up to the head of the line..

Confusing eh? :rofl:

For anyone who is interested. I just called to get a update on my file. From one of workers, the adjudicaters are working on Jan 2018 files. I asked if this information such as the wait times was posted on the VAC website, the answer was “yes”. Maybe I was looking in the wrong area but I didn’t find it!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veterans-disability-waiting-list-canada-1.4921209

More than 3,000 veterans waited over a year for Ottawa to process disability claims
– 27 Nov 18
'The system (isn't) built for yes,' says veterans advocate

Well over 3,000 veterans waited over a year for their disability claims to be processed, reassessed or reviewed by Veterans Affairs Canada during the last budget year, according to new statistics tabled in Parliament.

Those long waits impose an unacceptable burden on the most badly injured former soldiers, said a veterans advocate who suffered through the same treatment just over two years ago when he filed his post-traumatic stress claim. "You're sitting there in limbo," said Don Leonardo, a former peacekeeping soldier.

The figures, released last week in response to a written question posed by the Conservative opposition, revealed that in the 2017-18 budget year Veterans Affairs received 36,437 applications for benefits. Of that number, 15,949 applications — 43 per cent of the total — were completed within the department's self-assigned target timeline of 16 weeks. A further 17,650 (48.2 per cent) took between four months and a year; 3,110 (8.5 per cent) of the applicants waited more than 12 months.

'Dysfunction in the department'

The files completed on time were likely "the easy ones," said Leonardo, adding he believes they probably involved simple claims such as hearing loss. The more "complex" injuries are the ones that take more time — and they're the ones that lead to extraordinary hardship when they're delayed, he said.

"If you're waiting for a year, you can't start your treatment," said Leonardo, referring to the long-standing Veterans Affairs policy of not paying for services until a claim is approved. "You're basically in limbo until you're accepted."

Conservative veterans critic Phil McColeman said the backlog — the number of cases that don't meet the 16 week service standard — is a sign of "dysfunction (in) the department" that would never be tolerated in the private sector. "It's depressing to see these numbers, frankly," he said. "If I was in business and saw these numbers, I would have to say there is something dreadfully wrong."
A spokesman for Veterans Minister Seamus O'Regan said the department has seen a 32 per cent increase in applications and a 60 per cent jump in the number of first-time disability benefits claims since 2015.

"We won't look to the previous government for advice on this matter where they, as the auditor general put it, were 'not doing enough' to facilitate veterans' timely access to mental health services and benefits," said Alex Wellstead, referring to Auditor General Michael Ferguson's 2014 review of veterans mental health services. Wellstead noted the department has hired an additional 470 staff and committed an extra $42 million to tackle the backlog. "More complex applications can take time," he said, adding that measures have been taken to simplify the application process.

A backlog built by policy?

Leonardo, however, said he believes some of the backlog — a perennial problem since the Afghan war and the concurrent introduction of new benefits — has been made worse by the requirement that Veterans Affairs conduct its own medical assessments, instead of relying on diagnoses by physicians at National Defence.

"If you're getting out the military on a medical release, why are they adjudicating the claim again when you have military doctors saying that he's unfit, or she's unfit, for service?" asked Leonardo. There have been cases of former soldiers, bounced from the military over a medical condition, being denied benefits for that illness by Veterans Affairs.

That disconnect between National Defence and Veterans Affairs has long been a sore point with former soldiers and recently-retired Canadian Forces ombudsman Gary Walbourne — who repeatedly took both departments to task over a policy he said didn't make any sense. No move has been made to change that policy since. Leonardo said that should serve as a caution to newly retired veterans.

"The system is built for no. It's not built for yes."

...a former peacekeeping soldier

Can we all agree that this isn't a thing? Say a veteran of UN Peacekeeping missions or a soldier who deployed on peacekeeping missions but there no distinction between a warfighting soldier or a peacekeeping soldier.

Maybe VAC should triage ALL the files in the system. Quick review for conceivably, grant the claim at the max, with a provision of non precedent approval with respect to a one time benefit, then start from scratch.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/not-acceptable-thousands-of-disabled-veterans-wait-more-than-a-year-for-benefits-1.4196977

'Not acceptable': Thousands of disabled veterans wait more than a year for benefits - 29 Nov 18

Veterans Affairs Minister Seamus O’Regan agrees with the Conservative opposition that it’s unacceptable that thousands of veterans waited more than a year to have their benefits applications processed. “Not acceptable to veterans. Not acceptable to me,” O’Regan told CTV News on Wednesday. “We’ve had some significant challenges with backlogs and I’m reminded of that every time I go to a veterans’ town hall,” he added.

Figures show that 3,110 -- or nine per cent -- of the 36,437 applications received by Veterans Affairs in the 2017-18 fiscal year have taken more than a year to be reviewed. Only 15,949 -- 43 per cent -- were processed within the government’s 16-week target. O’Regan blamed the delay on a 32 per cent increase in disability claims since the Liberals took office in 2015, and the fact that the Conservatives had cut about 1,000 workers from the department. “I’m not making any excuses but I am trying to give an explanation as to why,” O’Regan said. “These are benefits and services that these veterans and their families deserve,” he added. “They are owed these benefits and services.”

O’Regan said the government has allocated $42 million over two years to speed up processing but it takes time to hire people, in part because many of the positions require bilingualism. He said 470 front-line staff have already been added. “What we can do is keep doing what we’re doing, which is keep it a priority, put as many resources there as we possibly can, and hire front line staff as quickly as we can,” he said. “We’re also putting a lot of digitization effort behind the scenes so we can get stuff done quicker,” O’Regan added.

Conservative veterans affairs critic Phil McColeman called the numbers “shocking” and said they are evidence that the system needs to be “reengineered.” “Perhaps we have a capacity problem,” McColeman told CTV News. “But throwing money at it and just doing that is not sufficient,” he said. McColeman accused the Liberals of failing to take “simple steps” that could speed up the process, like forcing the military to automatically transfer medical records to Veterans Affairs rather than making the department “start from zero.”
“Veterans Affairs has to force that new veteran to get all new medical reports on their situation, a complete new file,” he said. “If they could accept (the military records), then you’re on the road to accepting a claim.” McColeman said that soldiers have committed to “making the ultimate sacrifice” if need be, and the long waits for benefits are seen “as a sign, really, of disrespect.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-little-progress-veterans-disability-claims-1.4928604

Liberal gov't making little progress on backlogged veterans' disability claims - 30 Nov 18 (Video at Link)
  News follows Veterans Affairs Minister Seamus O'Regan's claim that things are getting better

The Liberal government is not making much progress on whittling the down the backlog of veterans' disability claims, despite its promises to do so. Updated figures from Veterans Affairs Canada, released Friday to CBC's Power & Politics, show the number of former soldiers waiting for over a year to have their applications processed is currently higher than it was in 2017-18. The statistics show that, as of Nov. 30, there were 3,356 veterans whose claims have taken more than a year to be put through the system. That's an increase over the 3,110 cases reported in the last budget year.

Responding to a CBC News story on Monday about the initial set of numbers, Veterans Affairs Minister Seamus O'Regan claimed an investment of $42 million by the Liberal government and the subsequent hiring of 470 staff members were making things better, but offered only anecdotal evidence. He claimed he didn't have up-to-date figures for the current year. "The numbers ... we don't have the numbers yet," O'Regan told host Vassy Kapelos. "We'll wait and see. We'll have a better gauge on whether or not we're seeing something different."

The up-to-date statistics were released by the minister's office after repeated requests by CBC News. The department says it strives to decide on benefit applications from veterans within four months. It was unable to do so in more than 50 per cent of the cases last year. The numbers for the current year show not much has improved and the department appears on track to receive more claims than it did last year. As of Friday, there were 27,107 claims in the system. Of those, 15,421 — 57 per cent — have waited more than four months.

The executive director of Wounded Warriors Canada said the backlog is something that both the current and former governments have tried to address, without success. "This is something that we've heard time and time again," said Scott Maxwell. "Year over year, government to government, as a common theme of something that veterans and their families would like to see fixed going forward." He said he believes it's not something the veterans department can solve by itself, that National Defence needs to be involved at an earlier stage — before a soldier is released — so that applications can be submitted sooner.  The former Canadian Forces ombudsman, Gary Walbourne, recommended on a number of occasions that members not be allowed to turn in their uniforms until all of their veterans benefits are in place and approved. Both the defence and veterans departments are working together on what they describe as a plan for a "seamless transition" of members from service to civilian life. That plan, according to documents obtained by CBC News two years ago, was not going to be fully implemented until 2019 at the earliest.

Late Saturday night/ Sunday Morning past I received an email from VAC indicating that one of my claims status had changed. Sunday afternoon, I checked my vac account to see, just to find out that nothing had changed. The only thing I noticed was a link leading into a vac wait times. Depending on what you applied for, disability assessments/ reassessments indicates a average of 22 weeks from the date listed in stage 3. However, for first time assessments for a new condition (other), the average waiting time lists 38 weeks.

On a recommendation, I completed VAC form 1002 (Priority Hiring). To my surprised I noticed that VAC had placed the same condition but different side awarded condition (Rt vs Lt) on the form. I called to enquire about it and was told, it doesn't matter at all. However I noted that the primary reason for my future release is because of the opposite side of what was listed. Again the response " It doesn't matter".

While on the phone with the VAC representative, I asked about the email I received as mention above. Supposedly it was a glitch in the system! I questioned about the wait times and if there has been any movement. The VAC employee had apologized and said, "unfortunately HQ are currently working on January 2018!

I began my application in April 2017 for First Time Application and my service standard start date is Sept 2017.
As of today it’s been 66 weeks in adjudication. I called today and was told that it is in progress and that is all they could tell me.
It’s been a rather frustrating process to go through. Anyone else have to wait this long?

It's that time of the year again. "Many new staff hired."

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/innovation/human-resources-statistics/population-federal-public-service-department.html

Looks like a decrease of positions since last year.

Mediman14 said:
Does anyone know what is the average wait time for VAC to start processing disability claims? It seems like it takes 2-3 months before it is started after submission.
  I have read somewhere that VAC is now at 24 weeks vs 16 weeks,! Has anyone heard/ seen the same?

Thanks

There is a sweet new useless tool on myvac now that tells you the estimated wait time..... and then you can call and ask and they can tell you 1 year wait... like me, going on 20 weeks for a departmental review, but still, they said they are just working on DRs from January 2018 right now....

AirDet said:
I had a sit down with the Minister and a member of his VAC Committee the end of August. I can tell you the minister really wants to get the cash and benefits into our hands. He admits there are many legacy procedures that hamper this from happening. I think in time he'll actually solve the crazy processing times.

As for me, I have 2 claims that have been in Step 3 for 78 weeks now. Even after the minister engaged 4 weeks ago nothing has happened.

The real problem is that the adjudicators are not motivated to solve these issues efficiently. I mentioned that since everything is based on tables. Just have VAC accredited drs complete a bingo card based on those tables. Then just plug it into a computer and you're done. The adjudicators don't need to be in the loop. That type of automation is entirely possible but it would put much of that department out of work.

That’s a shame the leprauchaun couldn’t do anything.

The Conservatives took a lot of grief, however.

When I first retired. I had my ppwk into VAC 5 months before I left. That was Aug/sep of 2014, come April of 2015, hasn’t passed step 2. Stuck, and no one could tell me why.
I wrote a letter to Erin O’toole, he called me two days after the email was read, went through my history,then I had his staff call me the next day. Within a week I had my decision, within two I had my payment.

If Seamus really cared, he would of handled it, made sure shit was right. This guy may seem like he does, good acting I guess.

I just don’t see it with him.

I can't even recall when I applied, but so far my application has been in Stage 3 for 70 weeks...several phone calls and MyVAC emails and the same apologies for the wait times due to heavy workloads. Seems to me, 70 weeks is a long time and if they got their asses in gear, they could have been down at least one file 54 weeks ago...

I ripped my achilles in July, submitted all the paper work in Sept and i'm still in stage 1 as of today.

I filled out my paperwork on the 20th of December for a partially torn ACL from my left knee from 2015 and I'm on stage three as of today.

A person I work with had to have his knee scraped and submitted an application Oct and got paid in December.

I don't know how the heck it works there, but they might as well not have an estimated time of return at all. It makes anyone who reads 12-16 weeks think that's when it should be done. I have no expectations, however submitting the application with all the information that your MIR has on your file seems to speed up the process because they don't have to request the information.

My application has been in since Jan 2018. Not sure when it went into step 3 because i stopped checking for months. I sent a message in November to see what's going on with my application. They said they were working on June 2017. I was reading earlier posts and someone mentioned jan 2018 applications were being reviewed. The timelines dont add up to me. They are making up dates or actually hammering through applications.

Is it just my frustration or have wait times been longer since the Liberals took over? I feel like they have but it may just be that they piss me off in general so I want to blame this on them as well

Tcm621 said:
Is it just my frustration or have wait times been longer since the Liberals took over? I feel like they have but it may just be that they piss me off in general so I want to blame this on them as well

They are definitely longer. Their excuses are more wishy washy and not a single person there is taking anything seriously.

I sent them a nastygram and they sent a reply from some old retired CWO, trying to shake my military chain. Sorry, not military any more and don't answer to anyone. I certainly don't take direction from some retired Chief, at VAC, or anywhere else.

johnston90 said:
My application has been in since Jan 2018. Not sure when it went into step 3 because i stopped checking for months. I sent a message in November to see what's going on with my application. They said they were working on June 2017. I was reading earlier posts and someone mentioned jan 2018 applications were being reviewed. The timelines dont add up to me. They are making up dates or actually hammering through applications.

I'm pretty sure for one that certain cases are more stream lined. Example; A scenario where the health condition is cut and dry. Broken arm, arm mended. Or scar tissue disturbing movement of knee, remove tissue. Done. Then there's conditions that could get worst and or get a larger payout.

I used to work for a insurance company and larger the claim the more they investigated it. If there's a CF98, MRI results and two doctors reports and there is no more treatment needed. I'm pretty sure a basic level staff member can handle it and requires less review. However, major surgury, ongoing treatments and a life condition would require a lot more review.

If I'm right on the above scenario, this could be why some people are saying "We are working on December 2017 and some are saying working on March 2018". Explain to me why my Sgt put his claim in the same time I did late September and has been paid out already. Everyone is not in the same queue. My Sgt got paid in 12 weeks. They say the turn around goal is 16 weeks. How many people not on here have been paid out for quick claims like broken fingers in weeks? An average maybe?

All I know is that when I called, I got a really nice guy who said the 16 weeks was a goal and that I would be looking realistically at 40 weeks. I've been in for 5 years so far and I'm used to the hurry up and wait scenario. I feel bad for any veterans who are waiting a long time who need the money more than I do. I wish you all an expedited service through VAC, I'll keep you updated with my results.

Back