• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

A quick update. Took them 6 days to get me the lump sum forms. Submitted it back to them on the 14th. We will see how long it takes to receive payment. You would think they would send the lump sum election form along with the decision letters like they used to do back in the day. When people are waiting 1 to 2 years on average to get their claims sorted it makes little sense to add an additional delay to the process.

No, his friend is not the exemption, best friend of mine applied for PTSD in April 2019, received favourable decision Aug 2019 and paid a few weeks later. Been released since 2012. Another friend applied for shoulder injury 3 months before his release in fall 2019 received favourable decision 2 months after his release. Another member from my unit released feb 2020 applied for adjustment disorder in dec 19, received favourable decision in sept 2020. It would seam they don't process serving members claims as quick as they process claims for released/releasing.

That does make a certain kind of sense. Serving members can access treatment (therapy, physio, prescriptions, etc.) through the MIR and are receiving a steady paycheque. Released members are dependant upon VAC recognition of their conditions before they will cover anything.

I agree that serving members do have easier access to treatment and do have a steady paycheque. But regardless on two occasions I asked VAC through phone and email and I was told that it is not VAC policy and they do not prioritize released or releasing members over serving members.

I agree that serving members do have easier access to treatment and do have a steady paycheque. But regardless on two occasions I asked VAC through phone and email and I was told that it is not VAC policy and they do not prioritize released or releasing members over serving members.
That has always been my biggest complaint with VAC. They always seem to say one thing while doing another. They are a blackhole of information and in some cases seem to be deliberately misleading.

My only mental health claim took 30 months to get the 10% initial assessment approved and I am now on 12 months waiting for the final assessment. However, I don't expect that for another 18 months at least.

Sorry for your wait, but I think your coworker is the exception.
What is “the 10% initial assessment “ and how does it work? My OSI application goes back to August 2019.

When they do not have sufficient information at hand to do a complete assessment on the extent of a PTSD claim but want to acknowledge that it exists, they award 10%. They then initiate a reassessment once you've 'stabilized' and award a final amount.

That is my understanding, but I am far from an expert.

Sure adds vagaries to the Wait Time. I guess it’s a matter of trying to outlive them. Thanks for the reply.

A quick update. Took them 6 days to get me the lump sum forms. Submitted it back to them on the 14th. We will see how long it takes to receive payment. You would think they would send the lump sum election form along with the decision letters like they used to do back in the day. When people are waiting 1 to 2 years on average to get their claims sorted it makes little sense to add an additional delay to the process.
I hear that .....quick to get the form but the pmt I am skeptical about timelines

any update on your pmt? i am in the same boat just curious of your timelines

I inquired this week as to the oldest “first application“ cases being processed at this point. As of February 17th the oldest one was from end of January 2019. Two years seems to be the pretty consistent gap between oldest cases and current date whenever I ask, not an improvement but not getting any worse anymore. Hopefully with the extra help they were to receive around the new year it’ll start closing that gap.

I inquired this week as to the oldest “first application“ cases being processed at this point. As of February 17th the oldest one was from end of January 2019. Two years seems to be the pretty consistent gap between oldest cases and current date whenever I ask, not an improvement but not getting any worse anymore. Hopefully with the extra help they were to receive around the new year it’ll start closing that gap.
I can assure you (well in my case for sure) that VAC are improving on their claims. I just had a 2 year claim in total (including the VRAB Appeal) completed last week. The fastest stage was during COVID. I did my VRAB Board Hearing 11 Dec 20 and I got the VRAB favourable Entitlement Granted in early Feb 2021. Then I had to wait for it to go to VAC medical adjudication which I was told would take anywhere between 6 weeks by one person I spoke to and another person told me by email that it could take up to 29 weeks for the Decision on the percentage rating. Here's the interesting part...I didn't have to wait 6 nor up to 29 weeks. I had the Decision in a week! So yea, in my case, the fastest prcoesses were done during this COVID. The 2 year wait was worth it and yes I know having to wait 2 years sucks yes, but it all paid off in the end for a favourable decision. Now just waiting on my Election for Lump Sum Payment form. This was a Claim that was originally denied so being a firm believer in "Appeal, appeal, appeal" I requested a Departmental Review and was offered a VRAB Board Hearing instead and won the appeal. I have plenty of experience dealing with VAC and BPA and lke my Trade friends and my self always say...."Appeal, appeal, appeal and have patience." VAC is great at denying first time around for the most part so you just need to appeal.

Big drop in estimated wait times this week. Went from 81 weeks down to 60 weeks for first applications. Hopefully lots of you guys got their claim dealt with! :) Or they just did a couple easy cases really quick to drop the average !

Big drop in estimated wait times this week. Went from 81 weeks down to 60 weeks for first applications. Hopefully lots of you guys got their claim dealt with! :) Or they just did a couple easy cases really quick to drop the average !
I think it's the latter. I'm currently at 83 weeks with the vast majority of it at stage 3.

Interesting how they calculate that. My application was submitted in 2016 and is at Stage 3 for the 3rd time as they suspended it twice. It does appear that things are improving as the Wait Time took a big drop this week and more people seem to be getting their applications settled.

I had multiple complex injuries (9) move to Stage 3 today, and are at a 43 weeks predicted wait time ( hearing and tinnitus at 20 weeks)

I think it's the latter. I'm currently at 83 weeks with the vast majority of it at stage 3.
My case has been sitting at Stage 3 since Dec 19. so I'm at around 62 weeks waiting. Hopefully soon, but not expecting it.

My status was updated today, approximately 2 weeks after I sent them a fairly strongly worded critique, from Stage 1 to Stage 2. I submitted the paperwork February 22, 2020. It too them 368 days (52 weeks, 3 days) to receive the paperwork and begin to ensure all relevant documentation is there to move it to stage 3 for a decision.

I expect a decision at the same time the replacement for the CF-18 lands on a Canadian runway.

my thoughts exactly, ptsd claim was complete feb 19, I requested lump sum form took full week for them to "put in a request" to have lump form sent. we'll see how long it takes to get the form, then how long until the money is actually deposited

my thoughts exactly, ptsd claim was complete feb 19, I requested lump sum form took full week for them to "put in a request" to have lump form sent. we'll see how long it takes to get the form, then how long until the money is actually deposited
I just had my Lump Sum form emailed to My VAC Account just 5 days after I requested it so that is good, considering they told me by email it "may" take up to 6 weeks, but they said if you have a My VAC Account you will receive it electronically, sooner. Right now I am just waiting on VAC to direct deposit my Lump Sum. That part is usually the fastest and not up to 6 weeks as also stated. A couple of buddies of mine just had their lump sum's deposited in 2 weeks max. I'm at day 3 now. Not sure about some people's cases where I heard it takes up to 6 weeks to receive the Election for Lump Sum payment Form and another up to 6 weeks for them to process the lump sum payment for deposit. I know for a fact if you have a My VAC Account you will receive your money in less than half that amount of time.

Back