• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAdm Norman - Supply Ship contract: Legal fight

I know one thing I'd be shitting bricks if Marie Henein was coming after me, that woman is a demon. She might soon be adding "completely ruined the careers of some very high-priced politicians and defeated a majority government" to her resume.

ballz said:
I know one thing I'd be ******** bricks if Marie Henein was coming after me, that woman is a demon. She might soon be adding "completely ruined the careers of some very high-priced politicians and defeated a majority government" to her resume.

She got Ghomeshi off. Brilliant I’d say.

The Liberals aren't dumb.  I doubt this will ever go to court.  And they in no way want this being hated out just before or during an election.

The VAdm's tell all book after will be a best seller!  I cant wait for my copy.

At this point the Liberals will look pretty bad if it doesnt go to court. It will make it look like they were going to be embarrassed and tried to cover it up... would it not be political interference to somehow get this dropped?

It's still probably better than letting the truth come out though.

This is a soup sandwich for them.

ballz said:
would it not be political interference to somehow get this dropped?

It's still probably better than letting the truth come out though.

They don't have to interfere at all.  If they simply continue with the cabinet privilege the defence can request a mistrial (may not be the right term) because they do not have the information necessary to present a complete defence.  Case would then probably be thrown out.  The GoC would not appeal.

Government attempts to deflect.

John Ivison: Treasury Board official denies 'cozy relationship' between Brison and Irvings

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-treasury-board-official-denies-cozy-relationship-between-brison-and-irvings

This passage is quite humorous.
Brison told RCMP Cpl. Matthieu Boulanger, the investigating officer, that the leak of the decision to CBC reporter James Cudmore had made the government’s job more difficult. He said he could not remember a similar breach of cabinet confidence, which seems remarkable for a 20-year political career in which he himself was accused of leaking cabinet secrets.

YZT580 said:
They don't have to interfere at all.  If they simply continue with the cabinet privilege the defence can request a mistrial (may not be the right term) because they do not have the information necessary to present a complete defence.  Case would then probably be thrown out.  The GoC would not appeal.

That doesn't exactly look a whole lot better....

Perhaps not but it can be accomplished fairly quickly and so get the whole affair finished before the election cycle: out of sight, out of mind.

Trudeau changes tune on Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, refuses to comment on documents

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau angered Conservatives in Wednesday's question period by repeatedly refusing to explain why his government isn't releasing documents requested by the legal counsel of Vice-Admiral Mark Norman.

Lawyers for Norman, who was charged in March with breach of trust for allegedly leaking government secrets to Quebec-based Davie Shipbuilding, said in a recent court filing that the government had "cherry-picked" what information to disclose.

More on link:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/trudeau-changes-tune-on-vice-admiral-mark-norman-refuses-to-comment-on-documents/ar-BBOwDuu?ocid=sf

standingdown said:
Will VAdm Norman's trial be open to the public?

Given that the government won't even release information to his lawyer, I can't imagine they would want the trial to be held publicly.

LogOLife said:
Given that the government won't even release information to his lawyer, I can't imagine they would want the trial to be held publicly.
They'd have to apply for a publication ban, which will look extremely poor based on their promise of "open and transparent goverment". The defense would love a public trial.

A publication ban does not exclude the public from attending proceedings. It just means you basically can't publish anything about it, which is interpreted quite broadly.

I think it's a fundamental right that a trial be open to the public.  We don't run things through the Star Chamber anymore.

Judge to decide what documents should be kept secret in Mark Norman trial

The lawyers noted Friday that Irving Shipbuilding is seeking standing at the hearing, meaning it will likely object to some of the disclosure

The lawyers noted Friday that Irving Shipbuilding is seeking standing at the hearing, meaning it will likely object to some of the disclosure. Irving, one of Davie’s primary competitors, is at the centre of the Norman matter, having sent a letter to several Liberal cabinet ministers in the fall of 2015 urging them to cancel the deal with Davie in favour of striking a deal with them. Irving has consistently denied it was involved in any political meddling intended to undermine their competitors.

More on link:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/judge-to-decide-what-documents-should-be-kept-secret-in-mark-norman-trial?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR26x9m2r4xr_EcuElTzwkxTbnKpN1nNS-WtXEKYo8ZVhqmJqfrgDpSEZwE#Echobox=1541183938

More on that.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mark-norman-shipbuilding-court-documents-1.4911137

Looks like the Crown lost its bid to keep the documents from going public.

We should start a poll on when these charges will be dropped. 

I predict spring/summer.  How about May 24. 

Back