• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAdm Norman - Supply Ship contract: Legal fight

1 week after the Commons recesses for the summer, as the government will drop the writ for election 3-4 weeks after that so the Opposition has no chance to get soundbites in QP, and the Government doesn't have all that pesky conflict of interest talk around an election period.

Curious to know how this whole thing works from those in the know...

My understanding (which is not very much) is that it's the executive branch of the government that charges someone and, through the Crown attorney, provides prosecution correct? The judicial branch simply oversees the trial?

So is there nothing stopping the PM from ordering, through the Attorney General, to have the charges dropped? Is there not something in our system to stop political interference in an ongoing trial?

Also, these charges are laid by the Provincial Attorney General and being prosecuted by a provincial Crown Attorney? So the Federal government should have zero ability to tell anybody to do anything here?

ballz said:
Curious to know how this whole thing works from those in the know...

My understanding (which is not very much) is that it's the executive branch of the government that charges someone and, through the Crown attorney, provides prosecution correct? The judicial branch simply oversees the trial?

So is there nothing stopping the PM from ordering, through the Attorney General, to have the charges dropped? Is there not something in our system to stop political interference in an ongoing trial?

Also, these charges are laid by the Provincial Attorney General and being prosecuted by a provincial Crown Attorney? So the Federal government should have zero ability to tell anybody to do anything here?

That's not correct. There is a principle called "prosecutorial independence".

The web pages which explains all of that are here:

https://www.ppsc-sppc.gc.ca/eng/pub/fpsd-sfpg/fps-sfp/fpd/ch04.html

and here:

https://www.ppsc-sppc.gc.ca/eng/pub/fpsd-sfpg/fps-sfp/tpd/p2/ch01.html

:subbies:

Slight tangent:  What coat is the Vice Admiral wearing in this photo from a recent news article?  I am not familiar with an (authorized) RCN greatcoat with shoulder boards.

Attachments

• Vice Admiral Norman coat.jpg
    Vice Admiral Norman coat.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 255
Privateer said:
Slight tangent:  What coat is the Vice Admiral wearing in this photo from a recent news article?  I am not familiar with an (authorized) RCN greatcoat with shoulder boards.

On a similar tangent: What caught my eye was not the raincoat, but the fur hat and whether fur hats are standard issue these days.

Retired AF Guy said:
On a similar tangent: What caught my eye was not the raincoat, but the fur hat and whether fur hats are standard issue these days.

Its the Yukon hat. Gotta use your Logistik points to buy one, and you can only ever have 1. CAF is looking at making it an initial issue item since everyone ordered them as soon as they were avail. Super comfy.

Privateer said:

I believe that is the trials great coat that the RCN trialed (Is trialing ?) to replace the gabardine.

Halifax Tar said:
I believe that is the trials great coat that the RCN trialed (Is trialing ?) to replace the gabardine.
Nice!
Anything to get rid of the ugly "flasher" coat. One of, no "The UGLIEST" piece of gear we are foisted with.

FSTO said:
Nice!
Anything to get rid of the ugly "flasher" coat. One of, no "The UGLIEST" piece of gear we are foisted with.

Somewhere, someone in ADM(Mat) is going to read this and say "Hold my beer..."

Halifax Tar said:

Is there some kind of thrust to put shoulder boards on everything?  It's fine for the short sleeves, unless they have some combo slip on/board holder you end up with a duplicate officer/NCM coat for no really good reason (with unnecessary additional costs).

PuckChaser said:
Its the Yukon hat. Gotta use your Logistik points to buy one, and you can only ever have 1. CAF is looking at making it an initial issue item since everyone ordered them as soon as they were avail. Super comfy.

Nope you can have a replacement every 4 years.

Chief Engineer said:
Nope you can have a replacement every 4 years.
Good to know, when I ordered mine it was a one shot deal.

So, in a recent interview by VAdm, he was wearing a old school greatcoat complete with shoulder boards and golden buttons. Is there some secret Ottawa greatcoat revival project or is this VAdm Norman just deciding to say f*ck it and wearing something more stylish than the current bathrobe of a garbardine?

mark-norman-1.png

Attachments

• mark-norman-1.png
    mark-norman-1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 188
Gotta say, if its not it should be. The gabardine makes even the most distingished of soldiers look like a flasher on a TTC subway....

rmc_wannabe said:
Gotta say, if its not it should be. The gabardine makes even the most distingished of soldiers look like a flasher on a TTC subway....

A good compromise: If you want it, you can buy it. I know I would.

I'd also prefer to simply pay to have my DEU Tunic made by a master tailor rather than (in accordance with an authorized pattern) rather than to have to wear the shiny plastic fabric that Logistik unicorp foists upon us.

More info on the Norman case

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2018/11/30/kenney-says-navys-needs-guided-700m-quebec-ship-deal-not-electoral-math/#.XAHE0ZNKjfa

OTTAWA — Former defence minister Jason Kenney is rejecting suggestions he pushed the Harper government to negotiate a $700-million deal with a Quebec shipyard because of electoral considerations.

The contract was to refit a commercial vessel into a navy supply ship. The current Alberta opposition leader says his only thought as the Conservatives were weighing the sole-sourced deal with Davie Shipbuilding in 2015 was the navy's urgent need — a point that he says he emphasized to his fellow Tory ministers.

"I was always clear with my colleagues in government that the only consideration should be meeting the navy's urgent operational requirements as quickly as possible," Kenney said in a statement Friday, "and that regional political considerations should not be a factor in the decision."

The comments are in response to a Canadian Press article this week that cited an RCMP interview with a federal civil servant who attended secret cabinet meetings about the controversial project under both the Harper and Trudeau governments.

A partial transcript of the Mounties' interview with Privy Council Office analyst Melissa Burke was filed in court by suspended Vice-Admiral Mark Norman's lawyers and made public last week. Her comments have not been entered as formal exhibits or tested in court.

Suspended as the military's second-in-command in January 2017, Norman was charged this past March with one count of breach of trust for allegedly leaking cabinet secrets to Davie. He has denied any wrongdoing and vowed to fight the charge.

Burke told the Mounties in January 2016 that both the Conservatives and Liberals were highly conscious of Davie's location in Quebec — just across the St. Lawrence River from Quebec City — and worried about the impact not signing the deal would have on their respective political fortunes because of the money and jobs it involved.

Burke said in her police interview that Kenney underscored the importance of the deal to both the navy — which did not have any support ships at the time — as well as the Tories' electoral prospects during a cabinet meeting in April 2015.

Kenney, however, said while he would not reveal cabinet secrets, "I can confirm that I did not say the words cited in Ms. Burke's deposition."

The Conservatives decided in June 2015 to launch negotiations with Davie and changed federal procurement rules to allow a contract without a competition, but the deal was not finalized before the October 2015 election.

After the Liberals won, a new cabinet committee decided to ask the company to extend the deadline for signing the contract by 60 days. Eleven days later, the Liberals approved the deal, which Burke said came after Davie threatened to close its Quebec shipyard.

Davie's converted supply ship, the MV Asterix, was delivered earlier this year and is operating with the navy in the Pacific.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

rmc_wannabe said:
The gabardine makes even the most distingished of soldiers look like a flasher on a TTC subway....
Try wearing it with a kilt!

Back