• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vehicle Technician ( merged )

Very interesting read. I am a Certified Heavy Equipment Mechanic(Inter-Provincial) and your progression through training is interesting.

As you may be aware, civvy training usually takes four years and 7200 hours of work time(stand to be corrected on the hours). After completing you Pre-employment training in your chosen field ie; gas,diesel,fuel injection, etc. You go directly into the workforce for training. Once yearly, if you manage to remain employed, you return to college for your next level of training, with the end result of gaining your Inter-provincial ticket in you chosen field.

The biggest plus for your situation is, you get to do it in uniform. If you love being in uniform and love your trade then you have the best of both worlds.

Hey there Pte. Kruger, thanks for taking the time to add such a well thought out post for future Veh Techs.  :salute:
  I'm looking on the DIN and it seems that they are running a QL3 english and french course about once a month.  Are there usually lots of spaces available on these courses, or would you say that they are usually full and there is a backlog of people waiting to get on course?
    I'm in the process of an OT and want to be on PAT for ages........
Cheers, C.O.D.

Once a month - absolutely not. They are running one QL3 course right now, of each language. That's pretty much all they can handle - I think. There's also a QL5 and some course full of sergeants on right now, as well as our Step3/5 course.
From what I've seen there's only one QL3 course at a time - so you have to wait several months to get put on one.

Good luck with your OT!

hey there, i'm currently in the navy... (not for long tho since i'm gonna be RegF as of the 8th of feb) any ways, got my acceptance for Veh Tech, i have a BMQ bypass, but not much else, no previous training in the job. any idea when the next course will be run ? i'm being sent to PRETC a few days after my CT is done so i'm just wondering what to expect when i get there about the training/PRETC time... Thanks

Hello Leading Seaman -

Good luck with PRETC!

This is nothing more than an unsubstantiated guess, basically - but there is a QL3 course scheduled to finish this march/april. If you're lucky, it may be possible for you to get slotted on a course around that time.

Welcome to the trade!

I have a Q, if anyone can answer.... i was told by a certain Maj, that i would be able to use the vehicle workshop (after Hrs) to work on my own vehicle... any of that true in the slightest or was i handed B.S. ? leaving in a few days for PRETC, then 3's so no need to rush an answer. Thanks

LS_Hewitt said:
I have a Q, if anyone can answer.... i was told by a certain Maj, that i would be able to use the vehicle workshop (after Hrs) to work on my own vehicle... any of that true in the slightest or was i handed B.S. ? leaving in a few days for PRETC, then 3's so no need to rush an answer. Thanks

Well, I do believe that most bases (Army perhaps??) still run the "Auto Hobby Club" ... well they still do here anyway.

Can someone else speak to other bases?

LS_Hewitt said:

I'm not an expert - but my best buddy was an ET before he retired (and he and I did some wild things using Her Majesty's equipment).

Every unit has a different policy - I recall when I was in the Airborne, the muffler on my PMV was held together through the efforts of a good friend who needed practise on his welding.  So my muffler was his after hours training aid.  Cost me a few cases of beer - but I drank half of them, so it was a good deal.

Every ET and Maint O (and CO) is going to have a different policy.  There are a multitude of problems associated with letting guys work on their own cars - from liability issues should you get hurt, to shop supplies getting used up (think solder, paste, bolts, hell - handwash grime), to minor pilfering of equipment (not always intentional - it's easy to forget that wrench there on the floorboards).

There's no guarantee that you'll be able to work on your own vehicle.

The Auto Club suggestion is a good one - most bases have one.

So much for no need to rush me an answer.... LOL thanks for all the infor guys, i appreciate it, i'll look into the auto club.... just need to buy my jeep before i join eh. cheers

Hey people,

Former 2vp'er going v tech just wondering about the rumour of v tech training at a civi side colledge in newfoundland any word?

hey there

im a vehicle tech at 1 vp just about to go on my ql5's. as far as i know right now, at the school they are only running 5's courses to get all the guys that are on the old system qualified. once that's all done, they are starting whats called vehicle tech vision, which is modeled  after college programs on civi street, focusing more on electronic control and diagnosing. which will benifit the techs in the long run because its way better training. i did my apprentice on the civi side then joined so i know both sides and trust me on this one, the military vehicle techs are seriously lacking in  training and experince when it comes to real mechanics. so this is a good thing. it might mean that you'll have to wait a bit longer for your course, but the benifits will be worth it. the army pays there mechanics roughly 26 bucks and hour, when the civi side pays round 30 to 40. so with the new course and better training you'll be more likely to get a job civi side. just keep that in  mind during those long winter days in borden. :cdn:

hope this helps
justin

wow thanks alot man that was really helpfull.  i've never been to borden but i doubt itll be worse then spending the winter in wainwright or shilo lol ;D

I had a few questions about the land Vehicle Technician and what they do. I am 21 male an have just finished a course at Fleming College for a 421A/310T mechanic. Witch is A heavy equipment mechanic and an truck and coach mechanic. I have learned about hydraulics and power trans power shift automated transmissions brakes clutches tracks engines and electrical systems. It was a pretty extensive course. I have worked on the farm with big tractors and ground engaging equipment. So i have a good back  ground on this type of work. What I am wondering is what is the working environment like ? I know its a shop/ field work but do they scream at you like on tv and slap you around? That sounds like a silly question but... I have a good collection of hand tools but does the army supply you with the basic tools ? i figer they will have any special tools needed. What vehicles do you guys work on ? like 5 tons and jeeps or the bigger stuff as well like APC and tanks amphibious vehicles ? Do you do all your own repairs or do you just like do oil chances/grease jobs and out source the big jobs like transmissions and clutches, engines ? Its a lot of questions i know but before i go and join i would like to have a good ideal what I am getting into. Thanks agene guys and any help would be much appreciated I am  also andygumpers form Canadian Gun Nutz if you are on there site at all. Andrew  :cdn:

andygumpers said:
I know its a shop/ field work but do they scream at you like on tv and slap you around? That sounds like a silly question but...

But what ?  :D

andygumpers said:
I have a good collection of hand tools but does the army supply you with the basic tools ?

I'm a civilian, but since the army even provide a BTU, I would say : YAH!

Military Database Terms

andygumpers said:
Do you do all your own repairs or do you just like do oil chances/grease jobs and out source the big jobs like transmissions and clutches, engines ?

I'm a civilian, so I don't know, but base on security matters, I would guess no (I know, it's TOTALY out of my lane).
Can you imagine the nighmare of checking anyone and everyone working outside (the forces) at those vehicles ?

When_in_doubt_rack_out said:
Hey people,

Former 2vp'er going v tech just wondering about the rumour of v tech training at a civi side colledge in newfoundland any word?
It is possible for you to be trained at a cmmunity college.  Here in Ottawa there are reg force VTechs, Cooks, and GeoTechs learning their trade at a community college.

The VTechs are attached to the local SVC BN, and are learning the principles of repairing vehicles, only they get retaught according to the Army way of doing business once back at their respective postings.

Granted, you may not have the luxury of doing it at acollege, and even if you do, it isn't always ideal because you will likely put up with the usual rowdy morons, fratboys, pseudo-intellectuals and college-hippies which exist at any post secondary.  At Algonquin College in Ottawa however, where I study, the hippie problem isn't bad though, so don't worry.  Borden is actually a nice place so don't feel bad about going there. 

Keep in mind the nature of the EME branch as it is now- it is severely understaffed where instruction is concerned.  That's why it seemingly takes forever to get your quals- lack of teachers.  And at the rate which the branch and CF in general is recruiting, it makes the problem that much worse.  In some trades, perhaps even yours, you may not even necessarily be sent to Borden or a college...you can do it anywhere provided the resources are at the training area's disposal.

andygumpers said:
I had a few questions about the land Vehicle Technician and what they do. I am 21 male an have just finished a course at Fleming College for a 421A/310T mechanic. Witch is A heavy equipment mechanic and an truck and coach mechanic. I have learned about hydraulics and power trans power shift automated transmissions brakes clutches tracks engines and electrical systems. It was a pretty extensive course. I have worked on the farm with big tractors and ground engaging equipment. So i have a good back  ground on this type of work. What I am wondering is what is the working environment like ? I know its a shop/ field work but do they scream at you like on tv and slap you around? That sounds like a silly question but... I have a good collection of hand tools but does the army supply you with the basic tools ? i figer they will have any special tools needed. What vehicles do you guys work on ? like 5 tons and jeeps or the bigger stuff as well like APC and tanks amphibious vehicles ? Do you do all your own repairs or do you just like do oil chances/grease jobs and out source the big jobs like transmissions and clutches, engines ? Its a lot of questions i know but before i go and join i would like to have a good ideal what I am getting into. Thanks agene guys and any help would be much appreciated I am  also andygumpers form Canadian Gun Nutz if you are on there site at all. Andrew  :cdn:

The shouting is reserved for basic training and soldier school.  The examples you see in movies such as Full Metal Jacket are pretty gross exaggerations, even for recruit school.  Let's put it this way - they punish you collectively, with lots of pushups and confinement to barracks, and they will yell at you, but when they do it, it's for two good reasons - 1) to watch you demonstrate grace under pressure, and 2) you messed up.  They do not physically hurt you - not today, anyway.

3s are a different story for some trades, as for Veh Tech I'm not sure how stressful they make it so no comment there.  Some trades courses are given the benefit of more priveliges and downtime than others, and they will not look at you under a microscope all the time like on basic.  Others are deliberately tougher than basic in some ways.  All trades courses will have greater expectations of your conduct and discipline, because at that point you should know better than one would at recruit school.

On the job, after your 3s, they will not yell at you unless you do something truly stupid.  At that point, if you screw up you would be getting a reprimand or possibly a charge.  It is a more relaxed working enviroment than basic for sure..not that different from many shops..but at this point, you will be expected to behave well, look sharp, and otherwise be a good example for the newbies.

You will be provided all the training and equipment needed to do your job.

Back