• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Venereal-disease rates soar among soldiers

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
KATHERINE O'NEILL

Globe and Mail Update

February 17, 2009 at 7:08 AM EST

EDMONTON — It's been a soldier's enemy throughout history - sexually transmitted diseases.

And now internal military documents show a sharp new increase in the number of Canadian soldiers being treated for venereal diseases, particularly chlamydia.

According to documents obtained by The Globe and Mail under federal access to information laws, the number of reported chlamydia cases the Canadian Forces treated surged 71 per cent - to 234 in 2007 from 137 in 2003.

The internal documents state one of the most troubling findings has been that the rates of chlamydia infections among male soldiers under 30 years of age is "substantially higher" than their Canadian civilian counterparts, and the situation demanded "special attention."

The Canadian military has long battled sexually transmitted diseases of all types. In fact, the world's first sex-education film was made for Canadian soldiers during the First World War.

At the time, the Canadian military was concerned that the high rates of venereal diseases, particularly syphilis, were leaving too many soldiers unfit for duty.

The 38-minute-long silent film, entitled Whatsoever a Man Soweth, was funded by the British government in 1917.

The story follows a young Canadian soldier named Dick who encounters a prostitute in London's Trafalgar Square while he's on leave from the front lines. A passing Canadian officer warns him away from her.

"Do you realise, young man, the risks you run in association with that woman?" he asks (the question is posed in a caption).

Dick then goes on to learn about the effects of venereal diseases, highlighted by graphic pictures of rotting hands and legs.

Since the First World War, the Canadian military has given out free condoms to its members, no questions asked. It's a practice that continues to this day.

Lieutenant-Colonel James Anderson, director of force health protection with the Canadian military, said it's difficult to determine "definitively" why there has been a new increase in sexually transmitted infection cases, particularly chlamydia.

"We know that we have an issue, we know that we have a vulnerable at-risk population," he said.

In 2007, Chlamydia accounted for 94 per cent of all the venereal diseases the military treated.

Of those cases, 62 per cent were male soldiers under the age of 30. In 2007, there were also 13 cases of gonorrhea and two cases of syphilis reported.

Lt.-Col. Anderson said that all members of the military receive briefings about venereal diseases and safe-sex practices throughout their career.

He said the military's public-health and reporting practices may be one of the reasons it has found higher rates of chlamydia among young, male soldiers.

He explained that those soldiers often receive more or regular health checkups than their civilian counterparts.

Lt.-Col. Anderson added that whenever an infection is diagnosed, it's standard for the military to then track down the patient's former sexual partners in an effort to have them tested as well. If the people are civilians, often the appropriate health authority is notified.

A Canadian Forces medic, who didn't want to be identified, said he's concerned that young soldiers often don't take venereal diseases such as chlamydia and gonorrhea seriously because they are treatable and don't normally affect their ability to serve.

"They know if they get it, they can easily get a pill and the problem goes away. That attitude needs to change," he said.

The Alberta-based soldier said reckless and risky sexual behaviour is a problem on some Canadian military bases.

He said that during his tour in Afghanistan last year, he treated some soldiers for venereal diseases after they returned from their leaves.

Article Link

Of course they do not say what the national figures are.

I love it when people are off their meds. Amongst the comments on the original article was this gem:

"anna kay from Canada writes:  No question about it, people who are ready to invade other countries and maim and kill are also sleeping with each other, cheating on their spouses and hiring prostitutes.
That is the naked truth. Let's see, however, if this side of the border we have also become military hags like the military banana republic south of the border and so we want to worship our paid troops or we can be honest."
:-\ wtf?

No, the article's key line is, "infections among male soldiers under 30 years of age is 'substantially higher'..."
Ladies, it's obvious that you should avoid sex with male soldiers under 30 years of age!  ;D

Heh... yeah

However... wait for it... is it just as possible that the Under 30 soldier with his under 30 girlfriend/wife has picked up that little "forget me not" from her... regardless of how she picked it up.

Soldiers with wives & girlfriends will have probably spent their HLTA time with their loved one(s).

Anyone see tide boxes on the windowsill of our PMQs?

Journeyman said:
I love it when people are off their meds. Amongst the comments on the original article was this gem:

"anna kay from Canada writes:  No question about it, people who are ready to invade other countries and maim and kill are also sleeping with each other, cheating on their spouses and hiring prostitutes.
That is the naked truth. Let's see, however, if this side of the border we have also become military hags like the military banana republic south of the border and so we want to worship our paid troops or we can be honest."

No, the article's key line is, "infections among male soldiers under 30 years of age is 'substantially higher'..."
Ladies, it's obvious that you should avoid sex with male soldiers under 30 years of age!  ;D

Is that "under 30" chronological, or "under 30" intellectual?  'Cause if it's the second one, there's pretty slim pickings left...

Journeyman said:

That is quite the comment. I am sure he/she has the knowledge to support that :p

dangerboy said:
KATHERINE O'NEILL

Globe and Mail Update

February 17, 2009 at 7:08 AM EST

EDMONTON — It's been a soldier's enemy throughout history - sexually transmitted diseases.

And now internal military documents show a sharp new increase in the number of Canadian soldiers being treated for venereal diseases, particularly chlamydia.

According to documents obtained by The Globe and Mail under federal access to information laws, the number of reported chlamydia cases the Canadian Forces treated surged 71 per cent - to 234 in 2007 from 137 in 2003.

The internal documents state one of the most troubling findings has been that the rates of chlamydia infections among male soldiers under 30 years of age is "substantially higher" than their Canadian civilian counterparts, and the situation demanded "special attention."

The Canadian military has long battled sexually transmitted diseases of all types. In fact, the world's first sex-education film was made for Canadian soldiers during the First World War.

At the time, the Canadian military was concerned that the high rates of venereal diseases, particularly syphilis, were leaving too many soldiers unfit for duty.

The 38-minute-long silent film, entitled Whatsoever a Man Soweth, was funded by the British government in 1917.

The story follows a young Canadian soldier named Dick who encounters a prostitute in London's Trafalgar Square while he's on leave from the front lines. A passing Canadian officer warns him away from her.

"Do you realise, young man, the risks you run in association with that woman?" he asks (the question is posed in a caption).

Dick then goes on to learn about the effects of venereal diseases, highlighted by graphic pictures of rotting hands and legs.

Since the First World War, the Canadian military has given out free condoms to its members, no questions asked. It's a practice that continues to this day.

Lieutenant-Colonel James Anderson, director of force health protection with the Canadian military, said it's difficult to determine "definitively" why there has been a new increase in sexually transmitted infection cases, particularly chlamydia.

"We know that we have an issue, we know that we have a vulnerable at-risk population," he said.

In 2007, Chlamydia accounted for 94 per cent of all the venereal diseases the military treated.

Of those cases, 62 per cent were male soldiers under the age of 30. In 2007, there were also 13 cases of gonorrhea and two cases of syphilis reported.

Lt.-Col. Anderson said that all members of the military receive briefings about venereal diseases and safe-sex practices throughout their career.

He said the military's public-health and reporting practices may be one of the reasons it has found higher rates of chlamydia among young, male soldiers.

He explained that those soldiers often receive more or regular health checkups than their civilian counterparts.

Lt.-Col. Anderson added that whenever an infection is diagnosed, it's standard for the military to then track down the patient's former sexual partners in an effort to have them tested as well. If the people are civilians, often the appropriate health authority is notified.

A Canadian Forces medic, who didn't want to be identified, said he's concerned that young soldiers often don't take venereal diseases such as chlamydia and gonorrhea seriously because they are treatable and don't normally affect their ability to serve.

"They know if they get it, they can easily get a pill and the problem goes away. That attitude needs to change," he said.

The Alberta-based soldier said reckless and risky sexual behaviour is a problem on some Canadian military bases.

He said that during his tour in Afghanistan last year, he treated some soldiers for venereal diseases after they returned from their leaves.

Article Link

Of course they do not say what the national figures are.

Some things never change.  ;D

OWDU

New headline :

"Rate of slow news days soaring amongst media"

In related news, the IQ of the average Globe and Mail reader appears to be falling. More later.

I knew I shouldn't have read those 72 comments.
Comments were closed by the time I read the article. So, I couldn't post mine.

It's insane how many off-the-wall inferences were made from the original article.
It's sad that so many posters invested the article with subjective, morally-impaired
judgements, faulty reasoning, airs of superiority, and religious/political (borderline fanatical)
biases sidesweeping the author's words--which really didn't amount
to much.

I've written to the G&M and pointed out their propensity to "spin-out-and-on"
the negative WRT the CF. While controversy sells newspapers, so does truth,
responsible writing and promoting a positive image of the Canadian Forces.

Maybe I'm off the deep end here, but from experience, the best thing about "stats" is the number of angles you can look at it from. Ignoring the fact there's about a 4 year difference in those stats, perhaps we can look at it from another angle. Perhaps we're not experiencing more cases, but rather more people are just coming forward with it. Just because there was only 137 reported in 2003 doesn't mean there wasn't 97 unreported cases.

Perhaps the CF is doing a better job of negating the stigma of having a STD. Or STV. Or whatever the hell they are calling it now. Perhaps the troops are realizing it's better to go in and deal with these situations at their base medical. But who knows... the joy of stats.

Chad.

Another gem:

Festina Lente  from Tampa Bay, United States writes: Katherine O'Neill didn't really do much investigative work on present day Canadian soldiers serving in Afghanistan. There was no reference made to Canadian recreational spots like Cyprus where soldiers were sent for morale leave. I no longer know this venue is still used. Most men and a few women tacitly understand the real purpose of sending soldiers to these locations which are a lot closer than Canada and that reason is for a little "holiday sex" as they say in Finland when planning a trip abroad. I don't really know if Canada still uses Cyprus anymore, after a series of alleged assaults on Cypriot women some of which were married and bitterly complained. You can bet there were veneral diseases galore. With only mild complaints from the Cypriot government these issues were glossed over. They must have loved the revenue! How Katherine could overlook Cypruss is beyond me!

Yes, Festina, that's why we have decompression leave (in Cyprus or elsewhere), so that the soldiers can have "holiday sex" so they don't go home and attack their spouses.  ::)

Chad, you make a good point.  I would think that the reporting process is just getting better.

Honestly, I don't even look at those commentaries anymore. As they say, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Even if it's dead wrong.

Chad.

ThainC said:
Honestly, I don't even look at those commentaries anymore. As they say, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Even if it's dead wrong.

Chad.

Oh, I look at them for a laugh.  This one was pretty good (as I knew it would be).  Amazing what some people could assume (where people got it, who they got it from, who they might give it to) from an article about an increase in the reported STI rates.

OMFG - 234 cases of the clap out of 60 something thousand soldiers/sailors/pigeons.  Sounds like a pandemic there boys - better have a full body condom on just to shake hands with your buds  ::).

Someone must be bored.  I know I have been at work lately...and certainly no problems with people's plumbing (yet).

MM

For those who may be interested in comparing the reported CF rate of STIs with rates in the general population here is a link to the Public Health Agency Canada site.
Reported cases of notifiable STI from January 1 to June 30, 2007 and January 1 to June 30, 2008 and corresponding annual rates for the years 2007 and 2008

The rates on the PHAC site are per 100,000 population, so the CF cases do indicate a significantly higher rate, however it is lower than a few of the individual jurisdictions.

The questions I would be asking is the increase in rate consistent with any increases in rate for the general population and is there any geographical (or occupational) pattern to the locations/contacts identified where infection was acquired. 

Don't forget that our system, much like Public Health's, depends on the accuracy of the reporting.  The numbers could be higher, but they might not be reported.  I'm not sure if the "anonymous" clinics keep stats.

Anon clinics do keep stats and report.  However, many bases in urban areas will have soldiers go to local free clinics vice the MIR, to avoid been spotted by people they know (there's also an issue of trust with the military medical system - unjustified, but still around to varying degrees).  If anything, I suspect these numbers are low.

There are also bases that "neglect" to send in their reports to FHP.

Chlamydia is extermely common throughout the Canadian population and spreads easily as it symptons can be quite mundane and written off as a heat itch, etc. It also does not require actual penetration and exchange of body fluids if I recal correctly.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/Chlamydia/STDFact-Chlamydia.htm

Back