• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Veterans love today's field rations

GK .Dundas said:
Oh well so much for supper tonight,  for some ..*urp* reason I'm not too hungry?

wimp!!  ;D

I remember the tinned rations fondly overall.  I enjoyed the ease of heating the goodies on the manifold of the deuce and a half during a fire mission and having the hot meal at the end.  The bacon was great and I liked the ravioli too.  I really miss the canned cheese that came with them.  And yeah, the can openers were the best anywhere.

In the old 5/4 ton you could shove a can or two up the heater vent near your feet in the center of the cab. On winter Ex's you would have a fairly warm meal in about 20 mins.

Ah yes!  The RP4's.  I have actually had some great dinning with them.  You do need someone in your Troop who knew how to cook and could take everyone's rations and create a feast while everyone else was out on patrol.  It was unbelievable what that guy could do with those rations.

At the same time that we had the RP4's, there were also the ten and thirty man cases that were designed for groups up to platoon size.  They also had "goodie bags" in them.  ;D 

I can remember sandwiches that were used fresh deli meats  but had been made  with moldy bread! we always wondered if the cooks were drunk or blind or both? :-\

Ahhh.... The platoon ration packs - to go with the Platoon field stoves....  fed off a gas jerry can's drip line..... almost as good as a Herman Nelson heater :)  Huge tinned hams.  When they were trying to clear out their inventory of Platoon rat packs they would send em to camp kitchens like Farnham - where they'd pass em off on recruite and reservists.

GK .Dundas said:
I can remember sandwiches that were used fresh deli meats  but had been made  with moldy bread! we always wondered if the cooks were drunk or blind or both? :-\

Ah - the box lunches prepared by the Base kitchen on Tuesday for a Saturday/Sunday function -  yep, had some of those... Urp!

Danjanou said:
Sure it wasn't Puritan Corn Beef Wes. I was that "one guy" who liked it ( I also loved the IMP ham omlette) and still pick it up at  the store now and then for a quick meal.  i'd nver trade my bacon for it though 8)

Sellect, with blue and whte labelling, with black/yellow lettering :) We called it 'donkey dink', ha!

Two well constructed carboard boxes with lids, and the red and blue accesory packs. Those 'nice' boxes were later replaced by thinner ones without lids, covered in plastic.

The deviled ham, with the devil figure with pitchfork. Never seen any of those products in Safeway. Instant mash, pudding with plastic bag, oh thosse were the days.

Cheers,

WEs

Ah Wes you were just looking in the wrong spot for the Deviled Ham, Underwoods was the company who made it.  I grew up eating the stuff from time to time.  I used to buy it in Calgary back when I participated in the grocery runs.  You have me craving some now, I will have to check Sobeys or Superstore on the way home.

My Dad used to buy Underwood deviled ham all the time!!

product_ham.jpg

I have a little buddy, age 5, who loves Underwood Deviled Ham. Its still available in Winnipeg.

:cdn:
Hawk

HF, your not kidding.  I forgot to check the store for a tin on my way home today. 

My Dad would not eat Spam to the end of his days.  I liked the stuff and still do, but it was taboo. Much to my disgust he did not mind brussel sprouts despite eating them until they came out his ears for all those years overseas.  They would appear on the table from time to time.  I still hate the god dammed things too.

I used to bring some rations home from time to time, and Dad always was jealous of how good we had it. 

fredinsic said:
Then we all must rebember the boxes of RP #4's and the choices you had

You mean we had choices? >:D

OR

Should I say:  You call those Choices? :crybaby:

Remember there 3 different choices, take it or leave it or starve, I can still see the Bully Beef and Sardies sailing through the air, when were packing our ruck.

Fredinsinc...  cans of Jambalaya used as training grenades - being tossed into each others trenches.

Sardines were great... at endex.  Wonderful with those big boxes of crackers and a cold beer :)

I liked the Tuna and the jambalaya, The add water and stir spuds were crap

2nd Queen's Own
1st Queen's Own
3 PPCLI

The only part of Field Rations(60's/70's) that had any value was the "pound cake" in a can.

The opener that came with the Field Rations( which I still have somewhere) I believe we called the "P38"?????

Some of the Field Rations we received still had the dust of Korea  :warstory: on them.

In the field in Germany, the Bty as a whole would give all the Field Rations to the Mess Truck(2 1/2 ton) and the cooks would prepare a meal fit for a king.

A really gross Field Ration was the British, that was a diet meal for sure.

Guns....
On one of the Reforger exercises in 73-74 time frame.... we were issued Brit rations.....

collectively we dug a big hole, a deep hole & rations were returned to the earth where it came from..... :p  Yetch!  :p
SQMS turned around, wheeled and dealed & we ended up with some West German rats in it's stead... 

Back