• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Victoria is facing a public-safety crisis

Three times in three months?

I responded to the same guy overdosing three times in a day, once. The first two times he came up fighting and we let him go, refusing medical care. The third, we fought back long and hard and took him by force to the hospital.
WTF? I never gave more narcan than was needed to ensure breathing, the started a slow drip or gave an IM. If we got hurt by a pt. we were off work and the company would never seek assault charges. The ER can rack them side by side with sat monitors/alarms and 2 security in a smallish closed room (8 cots)

I’m
WTF? I never gave more narcan than was needed to ensure breathing, the started a slow drip or gave an IM. If we got hurt by a pt. we were off work and the company would never seek assault charges. The ER can rack them side by side with sat monitors/alarms and 2 security in a smallish closed room (8 cots)
we were using 2 narcan hits a shift- 8 a day in a mid size city. That’s police only not counting the fire and EMS shots they did daily as well.

We give narcan- we don’t really give different size Doses. I didn’t even know that was a thing.

My experience is the same at redfive. And there are no charges that really come with it. At least not that get to court 🤷‍♀️

Police Narcan is a nasal spray. We have no control over dose. It’s purely a lifesaving measure, and if they come up swinging, we deal with the situation that presents itself.

Most people are trained to give a simple dose with the needle, in the training they are very frank about how people react when you save their life.

Well it's not like it's an optional drug like insulin, is it?
Insulin (and a number of other medications) should be covered under some sort of public pharmacare plan. It’s not, and that’s unfortunately. But that has no bearing on it being a good thing that naloxone, which can immediately save lives, is freely distributed.

Insulin (and a number of other medications) should be covered under some sort of public pharmacare plan. It’s not, and that’s unfortunately. But that has no bearing on it being a good thing that naloxone, which can immediately save lives, is freely distributed.
Swing and a miss, nice try. I'm not saying druggie saving should cost, I'm saying saving non druggies with life threatening conditions should be free, also.

Swing and a miss, nice try. I'm not saying druggie saving should cost, I'm saying saving non druggies with life threatening conditions should be free, also.
Sounds like you two are in violent agreement.

I’m

we were using 2 narcan hits a shift- 8 a day in a mid size city. That’s police only not counting the fire and EMS shots they did daily as well.

We give narcan- we don’t really give different size Doses. I didn’t even know that was a thing.

My experience is the same at redfive. And there are no charges that really come with it. At least not that get to court 🤷‍♀️
Fair. I am a CCP so have a lot more lattitude in treatment options.

They just started covering Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM's) here in BC, which is a good thing. If you can control your Blood sugars early on with T1D, then the long term health outcomes are significant and the costs to the healthcare system go down considerably. In our house, both insulin and juice are life saving drugs.

I like how they have a hopeful little 'help wanted' ad at the end ;)

Woman Arrested After Obstructing Paramedics, Assaulting Officer​

Victoria, BC – A VicPD officer received non-life-threatening injuries after stopping a woman who was preventing BC Emergency Health Services (BCEHS) paramedics from providing life-saving medical care to a person experiencing an opioid overdose last night.

At approximately 7:50 p.m., Patrol officers were called to the 900-block of Pandora Avenue to assist BCEHS paramedics who were attempting to revive a person suffering from a life-threatening opioid overdose when a bystander attempted to stop paramedics from treating their patient. A Patrol officer arrived and located the paramedics working on their patient surrounded by a group of bystanders. The officer then observed a woman step out from the group of bystanders, push a paramedic aside and stand over the patient. The officer took the woman by the arm and removed her from the immediate area. Paramedics continued their life-saving efforts.

The woman then stated that she would continue to interrupt paramedics’ work. The officer attempted to get the woman to speak with him about her concerns in an effort to de-escalate the situation and allow the paramedics time to treat their patient. The woman again attempted to move towards where paramedics were working, so the officer then walked the woman to the corner of Pandora Avenue and Quadra Street.

The woman then attacked the officer, striking him in the face and knocking his glasses off. The officer took the woman to the ground and held her until additional officers arrived and assisted in taking her into custody.

The officer suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the assault and his glasses were damaged, but he was able to complete his shift.

The woman was transported to VicPD cells and then released with a future court date. She was not injured.

BCEHS paramedics were successful in reviving their patient through life-saving emergency medical care.

This incident remains under investigation.

If you witnessed, or have video of this incident, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1.

-30-

We’re seeking qualified candidates for both police officer and civilian positions. Thinking about a career in public service? Join VicPD and help us make Victoria and Esquimalt a safer community together.

Back