• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Video games real enough for training

Always wanted to learn axis and allies but never had the time or anybody to teach me. Most of the mcpls and cpls in our JRs mess will sit down and play it for hours. Sat down to watch a few times but could never figure it out. That game and euchre. Gees .. the only mess game I can play is *sshole and I also suck at pool (but have gotten better) Back to the videogame thing, most vehicle sims have gotten pretty darn realistic but still no real infantry sims as yet, at least in my experience. Guess the problem is infantry dont have any motors, or dials to model. Just grunts, rifles, and the blood in our veins. Gonna wait till Operation Flashpoint and Ghost Recon get cheaper

Combat Missions is a WW2 tactical sim that looks pretty realistic...

Hey bedpan

Did you end up signing on with RHFC

Might have seen you going through the sausage grinder

If sausage grinder means getting crapload of kit, then yes. WO Fischer tells me I‘m getting more kit the next time... :p

Hard to miss me, ‘cuz I‘m like one of the two orientals in the regiment. ;)

Mail me at bedpanelemental@yahoo.com, if you wanna reach me.

Last time I checked there was four orientals now including you. Think thats strange, wait till you put on that kilt :D

Anway good luck on course :cdn:

Yes... who knew that oriental highlanders existed? :D

Thanks for good luck. I may need it :)

Enfield,
I am not old, and certainly not crusty. I can still carry my kit on patrol, and kick young wannabe *** around; I can hump faster and farther than any of the kids i get on courses... I have been to places you can only imagine, and done things you have wet dreams about!!! I have never been disrespectful to anyone here, so be careful what you say. :cdn:

Jungle,
I apologize, I didn‘t mean any disrespect - it was meant in jest, and again I apologize if it was inappropriate or taken the wong way. I will admit it came as a surprise when you - a highly experienced Reg F soldier, and I believe former-CAR - said you played computer games. Usually it‘s young reservists like myself that play games (or bring high-tech toys to the shacks) and get bashed by Regular NCO‘s for it. The idea that Reg F (S)NCO‘s play computer games has never occurred to me.

Fus- Axis and Allies is a great game. Hours of fiun.. there‘s a computer version, it goes a lot faster but a lot of the magic is gone.
It‘s still Civ3 and Rogue Spear for my money...

... accepted. I like computer games and I have been playing them for a while. Of course I prefer wargames, the more realistic the better!!! I really enjoy the Close Combat series because it is possible to apply the same decision-making process as we use. I also like the strategic aspects of Civ, although I have not tried Civ 3 yet.

Enfield,
You‘re confused, I‘m the old, crusty one!, but it‘s ok, I wear it like a badge. :warstory:
And I like games, Spearhead, M1A2 Abrams and just getting started on Steel Beasts. :D

Hey Jungle what‘s your Reg.?
From an old Sapper who like‘s to play more than doing PAPER work(26yrs. and still in )

I‘ll keep this info off this board, because I‘m an instructor in a school at this moment. Contact me via E-mail if you want. :cdn:

The very biggest first person shooter right now is Counter-Strike. I‘ve been playing in online for over a year now, and it is extremely engaging.

Terrorists vs. Counter Terrorists, save hostages, defuse bombs. Strategies, online leagues, both professional and amateur.

www.counter-strike.net

CS is a modification for the popular game Half-Life.

Another mod is Day of Defeat, based on WWII.

Both these are highly recommended for online muliplayer computer-based training.

(they‘re fun too. 8)

CS sucks......I just deleted it because it is way too addictive and it‘s all about who have the best ping.....there‘s really no such thing has good player in this game.....it‘s not realistic at all.....have you ever seen some special forces member jump 10 feet high like retards while shooting......anyway.....theres way too much good game around....and playing game is a total waste of time.....i know about it.....when I was 13-14 years old I was in the top 5 in the world in Rainbow Six and was playing over 12 hours a day in the summer......

For those who wish to practice tactic‘s with all Arm‘s including Air Borne with some Air support the only game is SUDDEN STRIKE,like Isaid above you get Engineer‘s who can place opsticle‘s ,troop‘
s who can lay and lift mine‘s ,sniper‘s ,Recce,Arty,Armour to,the whole ground war scene even katushua‘s and Flame Thrower Troop‘s ,Panzer Faust section‘s etc.

Hey I‘am hitting 50 yrs old and have washed a lot of smeg away than most on this site and this game is good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now I‘am German going East!! What a bitch.
prior order‘s were capture said objctive.now all‘s the game has said ADVANCE EAST!!!!!!!!

Hey get it and you will enjoy it as it‘s realy diff. from any other game you will find.

If you get it ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!

From an OLD FART

Yeah, Sudden Strike isn‘t bad. Have you tried the sudden strike forever add-on? it‘s great......... the thing that really piss me off in the game are the howitzer....especially in multiplayer game.....in a 1on1....we just keep shooting during 2 hours.....well anyway I agree it‘s a great game....Combat Mission too is awesome....you should try Cossacks:The Art of War.....it‘s the add-on for Cossacks:European Wars.....it‘s not really a military game, it‘s like Age of Kings but in 100 times better....Anyone played medal of honor? that game look great.....but all these new game require computer that are way too powerful

Smeg, Spr Earl? Do you watch Red Dwarf too, or is that actually a real word? :)

I just wish I had time to play games right now... apart from the 20 minutes a day of gaming that I feel guilty for, I don‘t really have the time nowadays with Uni, etc...

Seeing as I am stuck this side of the border with nothing to do (thats that important) I might as well go out and grab a copy of Swat 3. I know it is not a "soldier game" reviews state it still has a very good tactical element. I really just feel like shooting something and I wont be able to make an ex for a while.The price is right too. The elite edition even comes with a CD showing SWAT training clips. Had a lesson on dynamic entry once for FIBUA training, very imformative.

Back