• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vision Questions Megathread, Categories, Problems etc.

q3x said:
im looking at joining the reserves and im a tad bit confused as to what one im actually under. this is what my eye doctor gave me for prescription.
      Sphere   Cyl     Axis
OD-1.25      -1.00   110
OS-1.50      -.25     70
he also told me that its 20/150, and i looked at the chart and thats between V3 and V4, so does anyone know exactly what i would be. it would help me out alot because then i would know what trades are avalible for me.
thank you.

Let me just throw out a wild idea.  Why don't you fill out an application and submit it and then you will be processed, if you pass the CFAT, for your medical and then you will find out whether or not your eyesight is good enough and for what trades.

It would be quite simple if we had pre-screening through army.ca wouldn't it?  "Now for the next test please place your left eye against the screen."  Imagine the time and money we could save.

Hansol said:
regarding eye surgery:

I got mine blasted last year, and so far its worked out for the best. I used to be -7.50d and now i'm 20/20. from what i've been told you have to wait at LEAST 6 months after the surgery, and i don't think you can be accepted until a year-long wiated period has been up. And seeing as mine is up nov 26, i am applying (once again) and am stoked. Any other questions regarding eye crap just fire em my way -Cameron

My wait was 3 months to the day. "IF" your surgeon clears you of any follow-up appointments (as mentioned by Dog) at the 3 month (no sooner) point and your surgery did not produce any complications such as dry eyes, flashes..etc the CF will reveiw your file at 3 months. You need to have a form filled out  BY YOUR SURGEON (not Joe Blow staff member). The form is titled, Request For Release of Medical Information (refractive Surgery), and was available to me through the physicians assistant at the RC. If you want to wait 6 months to a year...go nuts. Literally ;)

Nevermind, i finally figured what you are saying (dammit life would be easier if i was smart). I didn't know that at 3 months the forces would clear you. That is crazy. Cheers -Cameron

dearryan said:
the CF will reveiw your file at 3 months. You need to have a form filled out   BY YOUR SURGEON (not Joe Blow staff member). The form is titled, Request For Release of Medical Information (refractive Surgery), and was available to me through the physicians assistant at the RC. If you want to wait 6 months to a year...go nuts. Literally ;)

Not what I was told, so I'm going to suggest that each CFRC may be treating this a bit differently. When I asked at CFRC Toronto if they'd consider a review earlier then 6 months (for LASIK) I was told no.

So if anyone is considering surgery, be sure to check with your CFRC.

Hansol said:
Nevermind, i finally figured what you are saying (dammit life would be easier if i was smart). I didn't know that at 3 months the forces would clear you. That is crazy. Cheers -Cameron

IF YOU MEET CERTAIN CRTITERA.  Please inquire with your RC. X-grunt could be entirely correct.

Now why do you think that everyone is hearing 3 months or 6 months? It is because that is what the laser surgeon decides not the CFRC/D and it depends on the type of laser surgery.

thank you so much for this info. i have been looking everywhere. every time i asked someone at the CFRC i was told this was protected info. thanx agian  Nick

Ok. I first read through this thread, and several others about vision topics, and also this page:
http://www.toronto.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/medical/visreq_e.html#_Toc30396228
Then I did some searches for keywords like myopia, myopic, anav, nav, cycloplegic, etc. Asking this question in this thread seems more useful to people than starting a new one about it. It's not quite covered elsewhere. According to the linked website, the Flightcrew Visual Requirements for ANAV includes not only V3, but an initial limit of -2.00 cycloplegic refraction. I did a google search to find out what that means, and it seems to involve using drugs to paralyse your focussing muscles.

I printed out a Snellen chart (found through google) and without my glasses, I got about 20/80. With them on I could read 20/20 and almost 20/15, so I guess my glasses work better than I thought. I thought I needed new ones. This is great because from what I recall, I'm already up to -1.75 diopters. From what I understand, this puts me into V3. This also puts me rather close to -2.00.

I have two questions. One, when I got this lens prescription, they didn't use drugs for the test. Is it likely to have been accurate compared to the cycloplegic test? (according to my glasses, -1.75 works so I would think yes) I did get the impression that it was more necessary for children.
My other question is, what can I do to prevent my eyes from getting any worse? I won't be able to join for some time, and while I think I would pass now, I don't want to fail then. I'm 27 years old, if that helps any.

cuteboots said:
I have two questions. One, when I got this lens prescription, they didn't use drugs for the test. Is it likely to have been accurate compared to the cycloplegic test? (according to my glasses, -1.75 works so I would think yes) I did get the impression that it was more necessary for children.
Its accurate. I have been a eyeglass wearer since childhood. I have not had eyedrops for any acuity testing since joining the military.

My other question is, what can I do to prevent my eyes from getting any worse? I won't be able to join for some time, and while I think I would pass now, I don't want to fail then. I'm 27 years old, if that helps any.

Other then wearing your glasses as you should, no. Your eyes will may not get worse now that your an adult but as you enter geriatric ranges you eyesight will diminish due to age.

My friends disagree on whether wearing your glasses all the time helps or hurts your vision (ie straining to focus without glasses versus lazy reliance on glasses to do the work) but I generally wear them all of the time anyway. Next time I have an eye appointment I will bring in a copy of the visual requirements in case there's anything special they might notice on them.

So I'm barely legally blind in my right eye from a detached retina, I think uncorrected it was 20/200, I can still shoot a rifle and I play hockey and football so it really doesn't effect me but cause most of the strains on my good eye I now need a slight correction in my left eye. I'd love to be in infantry but if my eyes don't make that I'll take most any line unit, I was planning on getting laser surgery before I joined because I'm not very comfortable in glasses, I wear contacts now but I cant wear those can I. anyway I looked at all those charts but cant figure out where I am on it, I'd really appreciate some help, thanks

V4

20/200 has a metric equivelent of 6/60 for your bad eye. You don't mention how slight your better eye is, but as you say, that can be corrected.  Even with the vision on your bad eye measured with corrective lenses, the retina detachment is still present and giving you 6/60 corrected.  Of course, some detachment can be corrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinal_separation

All i know of my left good eye is that i cant read the bottom 20/20 type. Also do you know what classifcation i would be v3,v4?

You would be a V4.  To be a V3, you would have to be 6/6 in the good eye and at least 6/9 in the other eye.

My prescription says

Sphere  Cyl    Axis
OD-1.00    -0.25  175
OS-1.00    -0.25  170

What Vx is that? i think my doc said its 20/20 but according to those sphere cyl and axis numbers what is it?

I going to go on the assumption your doctors means your 20/20 corrected with that prescription.

If that's true, and nothing is changed with the prescription, both eyes are at -1.00 or 6/15.
That would put you in the V2 category.

no my doctor said i have 20/20 uncorrected i just couldnt see far distance all that detailed without em for example while driving helps me read billboards and signs easier.

Back