• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vision Questions Megathread, Categories, Problems etc.

You can't squint or tilt your head to aid vision. 8)

20/30? I'm 20/40 & 20/50 and was v3. Just be sure you're 20/20 corrected.

And you'd be good to get a full eye exam and have the doc write the results on a letterhead note, with your:

- Uncorrected vision (20/x)
- Corrected vision (20/x)
- Colour vision
- Eye diseases
- Astigmatism (if you have it)

I gave them my note, so I forget if there was anything else on it.

erikh said:
You can't squint or tilt your head to aid vision. 8)

Well that's what I expected, but that certainly doesn't make my cockles hard.

I suppose I could go to all my medical stuff already squinting and make it seem like that's what my face looks like.

Ah well, I've got a long time before I have to worry about that.  So I'll just use eye exercises and the like to try and naturally make my vision better.  I'm not too worried, but I am slightly worried.

ROFL the thought crossed my mind a few times "... if I go in there squinting, and squint the entire time, maybe..."  ^-^

...looking like that putty guy from seinfeld.

V3 or in English, not great vision, is what's required for infantry.  If you're 20/30, you're fine.

Don't sqint.

MM

erikh said:
ROFL the thought crossed my mind a few times "... if I go in there squinting, and squint the entire time, maybe..."  ^-^

...looking like that putty guy from seinfeld.

And whenever they ask you a question, you answer " Yeah, that's right " in a monotone voice  ;D

hey whats the vision requirements for vehicule tech? I looked every where and can't find anything

ufm101 said:
hey whats the vision requirements for vehicule tech? I looked every where and can't find anything
There's a link at the top of this page to a thread dedicated to Vision Category & Acuity that I found very helpful (Thanks old medic!)
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/31590/post-225087.html#msg225087
There's a PDF available in there which shows the requirements for specific trades. I linked it below in case you can't find it for whatever reason.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/cfp-pfc-154/pdf/AN-Eapp1-eng.pdf

Hey guys,

So I've done a fair bit of reading and searching and reading some more, and I still can't seem to find any information regarding being legally blind in one eye (My situation, hence the screen name). Would someone with one working eye be accepted for training? My good eye scores a V4. Bad Eye can only see colour and shapes, but no focus or definition. Detached and surgically re-attached retina was the issue, in case anyone is wondering.

Here's the thing.. My good eye is the LEFT one, while I am RIGHT handed. This means I'll have to be trained to shoot left-handed, which is going to be a challenge, but that's for another thread at another time...

Just wanted to know if I can still do the BMQ training and so on.
Thanks in advance. This is a great forum you have going on here.

As always, the best thing to do is contact your local CFRC and get a hold of the medical staff there, however that being said, from what I've read during my own vision quest (HA!) around here, having 1 eye which is (for lack of a better term legally blind), would make you V5 and ineligible for enrollment.  However, this is my guess based on what I've read; actual Med Staff will tell you with 100% accuracy what the situation is.

If my vision is perfect when corrected but (L) -3.25 (R) -3.50 with no corrective lenses am I still allowed to join a combat arms unit?

WannaBe7 said:
If my vision is perfect when corrected but (L) -3.25 (R) -3.50 with no corrective lenses am I still allowed to join a combat arms unit?
Go to a recruiting center, apply and you'll find out at your medical.

To make a determination of visual category, ONE MUST LOOK AT THE VISUAL ACUITY FIRST, THEN THE CORRECTION TO MAKE SURE THEY AREN'T A V5.  Please don't post your correction here and expect one of us non-optometrist/ophthalmologist types to guess what your visual acuity without and with glasses is by your prescription.  I have a vague idea by looking at my own or some of the other folks' that come through the door, but I assign a category by looking at what your vision is first.  If there is a high degree of correction applied, I then do a little math based on a formula provided and decide if it's within medical standards and come to a final determination of the category, as does the physician providing oversight to my medicals.

MM

I got -2.5 in both eyes, will i make it in combat arms ? (cant understand the chart  :-\)

Back