• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vision Questions Megathread, Categories, Problems etc.

When they found that I had a red/green deficiency I thought that for sure I was hooped but they came back and told me that it was acceptable in the Infantry. Whether they were talking from their ass I have no clue but I ended up Infantry for 3 years. I don't know if it affected me or not, my deficiency is pretty minimal.

Once again, speaking to the Recruiters will get you the straight answers.

The problem is, RECRUITERS WON'T TOUCH MEDICAL ISSUES.  RMO has the final say.  Check with RMO.

To the best of my knowledge, you can have certain colour deficiencies in the infantry, and a couple other trades. Trades like Artillery and Engineer require colour vision though.

All the CF Medical Standards information is available here: http://www.dnd.ca/health/policies/engraph/med_standards_home_e.asp?Lev1=7&Lev2=3 and, as was mentioned, this information is only a guide - CFRC will have the answers, so please contact them.

Love793, the CFRC is a starting point, that's all anyone is trying to say here.

Anyway, I think that the questions have been answered pretty well here. If anyone has new info to share PM one of the Staff and we'll unlock it.

No, V5 is not legally blind although it's not good at all... To give an example, I have a myopia of -5.5 and I qualified barely for V3. V5 is given when the candidate does not qualify for V3 AND the refractive error is worse than 7.0 dioptres spherical equivalent in the better eye. So -8 would be V5 but not -7. And that's only for the non-aircrew trades. With V5, the only solution I can think of is the laser operation.

I've looked in a few places, couldn't find a solid answer to this -   Does anyone know what the threshold is between v3 and v4?   I realise v4 is the 'cut off' so to speak for anyone wishing to become a member of the combat arms.   Or, does anyone know where the v1-v5 scale can be viewed?

--Edit-- Found it
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/16801/post-99436.html#msg99436

Thanks =)

Hi
I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me where a 40/20 eyesight level is on the v1-v5 scale. Is it good enough for every trade except piloting?

I checked out sm0ke's link for the V1-V5 classification standards and I have a question.  My corrected visual acuity is 6/6 and 6/7.5 and uncorrected visual acuity for the right eye is 6/120 and for my left eye is 15/400. Does the 15/400 automatically put me in the V4 category, or is there any leeway to the classifications.  Thanks!

When I did the vision test, I only had to be able to read the first line on the chart to be V3.
ie. the big E on top... not very hard. If you can't read that, you are V4.
And if your prescription is worse than +-7, it's V5 and that means no enrollment...

I am applying for a communications postion in the Air Force, and I have a strong perscription. I think it is around -7. This scale V1-V5 does this apply across the board? Or do certain trades (non infantry) have a lower sight requirement? This is a non air crew position, I obviously understand as to why one would need good sight when applying for A/C. Should I be getting them "zapped" prior to my medical (just got my aptitude exam date ).

Ryan
(Vancouver)

The eye test is the same no matter what trade or service you go into. Each trade has its own medical standards though,ie you must be V1-V3 to get into combat arms, if your V4 your out of luck. Also, if you get LASIK done, your need to be tested 6 months after the procedure I believe. Search around the forums, its been asked an answered before.

THis may be a really stupid question......

But the vision test is done with my contacts out right??? My corrected vision does not matter....correct?

You do the eye test without corrective lenses(glasses and contacts), than you do the test again wearing corrective leneses.

So how do I know if my corrected vision will sufice in my selected trade? I mean prior to going for the medical.

thanks

Ryan

The un-corrected vision is what matters normally.

Here is how they figure out your Vx

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/policies/med_standards/pdf/Engraph/cfp154_annexAappen_e.pdf

Here is what each trade needs

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/policies/med_standards/pdf/engraph/cfp154_annexEappen12_e.pdf

Sorry for hijacking this thread here, but I actaully have a question as well. My optomotrist told me I am a V3, however my vision got "one step" worse in my left eye. My question is if it gets worse to the point were my eyes are V4 or V5 and if I am in the infantry allready would it be possible that I would be kicked out whether it be fulltime or reserves?

huge thanks to Ammo tech!!!!!!!!

That is exactly what I wanted to see (pardon the pun). It would appear my trade only goes by corrected vision. It has a V4 designation. I intend in getting laser corrective surgery ASAP however I just dont want it to slow the process down any further. I was instructed that there is a certian waiting period after u have had the laser surgery. Please correct me if I am wrong in my understanding of the chart. My trade is 226 Aerospace Telecommunications.

thanks

Ryan

That's a V2. As far as I know, pilot is the only trade that requires V1. Combat units accept as poor as V3.

Back