• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vision Questions Megathread, Categories, Problems etc.

Posted by: medicineman    Please read 2 posts above yours.

Hence S, why I stopped answering on this tread...

-g  ;)

Got my PRK surgery last Thursday, today is Tuesday, got my protective lens removed and I can start to see again  :eek:

My advice to anyone getting PRK done, make sure someone is around as much as possible for the first days to assist you as you might not see very well and thus it is not easy to put drops in your eyes, clean them, read any notices, go to appointments and so on.....Also I have secured in advances 7 days off of work from the surgery day.

Regards,

elementqka said:
I got -2.5 in both eyes, will i make it in combat arms ? (cant understand the chart  :-\)

Here is a simple test to help you out.

1- Stand or sit at arms lenght from your laptop or computer screen; and
2- Read the phrase below;
3- If you can read it , you are good to go.

Go to the damned CFRC, apply to the CF and the medical process will tell you what your vision category is and what trades are open to you. It is not only the best way but the only way.

CDN Aviator said:
Here is a simple test to help you out.

1- Stand or sit at arms lenght from your laptop or computer screen; and
2- Read the phrase below;
3- If you can read it , you are good to go.

Go to the damned CFRC, apply to the CF and the medical process will tell you what your vision category is and what trades are open to you. It is not only the best way but the only way.

now if i can read thats whats my vision level?  Joking of course

Hey, I am almost there, but where should I go if I can read the last phrase ?  ;D

This is just a little something I would recomend but its NOT YET APPROVED BY THE CF, I personally am going to look into after I finish my dp1 course.  They are called intacs, they can be removed and don't weaken the cornea and as your eyesight worsens when you get older they can be replaced with a more powerful prescription. So keep an eye out for them in case they get approved by the CF as the americans and brits have approved it now.

As you might want to get laser eye surgery later on, don't forget to ask if there is any delay between stopping the use of the intacs lenses and the surgery. In my case (PRK), they asked to take the contact lenses out before surgery: a full 7 days for soft lenses, 14 days for Toric lenses, and 30 days for hard or gas permeable lenses. Thus you might put your career on hold for a bit longer if you are not allowed to wear glasses on duty.

P.S. Of course the exact time without lenses prior to surgery should not being taken as a general statements. Your ophthalmologist will give you the guidelines that apply to your case.

Rinker said:
This is just a little something I would recomend but its NOT YET APPROVED BY THE CF, I personally am going to look into after I finish my dp1 course.  They are called intacs, they can be removed and don't weaken the cornea and as your eyesight worsens when you get older they can be replaced with a more powerful prescription. So keep an eye out for them in case they get approved by the CF as the americans and brits have approved it now.

I personally wouldn't look into them UNTIL they are approved for use by the CF, nor should you reccomend anything that isn't approved by the CF, especially at your lofty DP 0.5 level.

:2c:

MM

That is why I said keep an eye on it, and bolded that it is not yet approved by the cf. I am waiting and crossing my fingers.

Most of the literature I've read about them says that they're for low degrees of myopia without astigmatism OR if you have keratoconus...if you don't fit into those categories, I wouldn't worry too much about it - stick to your glasses, contacts or save your pennies for PRK or LASIK.

MM

Hello. I have read this post and all it’s replies. This is my first post on this forum, or rather, my first post on any forum ever.

I am applying for pilot, and I have aircrew selection on February 1st. It’s been a battle. I have done lots of things like improved my grades in aerospace engineering, got in shape, got flying experience and got laser eye surgery.

This question is about the surgery.

I got one of the required types of laser eye surgery. I think it was wavefront PRK or something like that. None the less it is an acceptable procedure for pilots in the Canadian forces. I made sure of it.

Everything has gone great. I have had my ophthalmologist, the CFRC medical staff, and a forces third party ophthalmologist test my eyes. Everything is good to go with 20/20 uncorrected in each eye, prescribed by all sources.

Forgive me, for I over-think these things.

When I was leaving the third party’s office, I noticed at the top of the page long prescription (with all 20/20 uncorrected marks for each eye) a big V2 circled.

I’m not sure what this means. Does a third party ophthalmologist have the authority to give me a category like that? Could the V2 on that paper mean something else?

Also, I know the vision standards for pilots are changed. Can someone with V2 after laser eye surgery and still be a pilot? Or do you have to have pristine vision after the surgery to make the cut?

Besides that I have no stiggys or anything else wrong with my eyes.
This all took place long before I got called for a date for aircrew selection. I know that all medical records are looked over for aircrew positions before you are allowed to go to aircrew selection. So do I have nothing to worry about?

Thanks to whoever reads and replies to this. I know the best thing to do is call a CFRC and replies here are just opinions yadda yadda....

And if someone could direct me to a link for aircrew medicals and what sorts of things they test you on for air factor, that would be great.

B.East

aerobeast89 said:
Do I have to make a post on a more up to date forum to get a reply?

I think no one here can give you a 100% answer either way....

So why not just wait and see what happens when you submit the paperwork.

My  :2c: your mileage may vary......

MasterInstructor said:
All I know is you have to be V1 for pilot.

That is not correct and has been incorrect for some time. You realy need to stay in your lane.

Thanks for the replies!!!

I figure that since I am going to be going to aircrew selection next week, and my medical files have been approved everything must be cool in that department. I don't know what that V2 could have meant either. My vision is so clear its amazing. Im always testing it with other people and reading far away signs that nobody else can read.

B.East

I figure I'll throw a random suggestion out there to anyone else concerned (Much as I am) about their vision, and who has only their eyeglass prescription on hand...

I am currently going through the application process and I'm confident in all areas, other than my vision, which is not so hot. Upon reading on this site, and elsewhere online, it's QUITE evident that your prescription can not be used to accurately determine your acuity.

I came up with the crazy idea of going to see my optometrist. (Crazy, I know). Upon receiving my prescription and reading it over, I found exactly the same thing that others on here did... They still didn't know where they stood. So... I explained my situation - "I'm applying for service, there is a vision rating system with limits, and I need to know if I'm wasting my time" - They sat me down for a quick eye chart reading and upon going through the first slide or two, he informed me my vision is approximately 20/100 in each eye (6/30) so by his estimation I should qualify for V4 and therefore not be completely screwed in terms of finding a place in the Armed Forces (This is obviously subject to my pending medical exam to be done by the recruitment center).

Note - I drove down to my optometrist and did this spontaneously, because of the nature of my request there was no charge and no wait time. I'd recommend that anyone with similar gut wrenching concerns gets off their butt and goes to see a doctor A.S.A.P. rather than pelting the internet with questions.

And that's my 2 cents.

mew!

Hello,

I applied to the military in October 2009 in the direct entry officer programme.  I've been slowly, but surely winding my way through the application process.  I rather terrified myself about the aptitude test and fitness levels and therefore completely overlooked my lack of good vision, which has me kicking myself because I could have fixed this issue months ago.

I recently did my medical and interview.  The gentleman who did the medical stated that I would pass medical easily if not for my poor eyesight.  He suggested that I might need to get laser eye surgery to get passed.  He also gave me a form to fill out from my optometrist about my level of vision.  I went to my optometrist today who laughed at the notion that I could ever function without my glasses or contact lenses (which is quite correct).  He told me that both of my eyes are in the -5 range and that I have astigmatism (which I knew about previously).  He said that although he doesn't know the exact standards of the military he doesn't believe that I would be accepted if I needed to function at all without corrective lenses.

I am perfectly happy to get laser eye surgery (my parents are even paying for it as a birthday present) and I am willing to get it done as soon as possible.  I understand that there is a minimum three month waiting period after the surgery is completed to check to make sure my eyes are in good shape and this does not upset me in the least.

My question is, however, should I wait to have the form filled out until a week or two after I get the eye surgery done and then return it to the recruiting centre (the time limit on the form is 90 days with an extension of 30 days on top of that) and explain about the surgery at that point or should I ask for the extension and return it at the three month point (and tell them about the surgery at the 3 month point)?  Also, when I go through with the surgery will that put a full stop on my application process and will I have to wait for positions to open up at the point I am cleared, or will they continue with the process because in all likelihood I will not be sent off to training in the next 3-4 months regardless?

Basically, I am asking how I can do this eye surgery requirement with the least amount of disruption to my application process as possible.

Thank you for any advice or comments.

Back