• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Waiting Game

ACE_Engineer said:
Hello all,

Just wondering, what is the longest wait time span between application to enrollment that you know of, after which a person still enrolled?

I am at 2.5 years, applied in October 2018. It was delayed because of a lengthy background check (about a year), then a foot fracture (about 4 months), and now COVID-19. At this moment, I have passed every test (CFAT, medical, physical, interview), and am waiting for the call.

I am wondering if there is a policy that limits the time between application and enrollment before which you have to automatically restart the entire process.

Not that I’m aware of. It took me approx 3yrs from submission of app to basic. There are a ton of factors that go into the length of one’s recruitment process. (Trade choice is a big one, clearances, personnel changes—my file manager changed a couple of times, the occasional pandemic...etc., etc.) In a perfect world, the process is seamless. But that’s often not the case, unfortunately. That being said, cases like yours and mine—years for processing—thankfully aren’t the norm. All I can say is be patient.

Keep in touch with your recruiter/file manager every month or so. Make sure there isn’t any info they’re missing/waiting for, make sure everything is as squared off from your end as possible. There is no doubt that the current state of affairs will have an impact at some level. It’ll just have to be waited out.

With the new virus going around, I'm certain that things are changing with new recruits who are in the process of joining.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on if applications are halted for the forseeable future or if they're slowing applications down or if nothing has changed at all.

Thank you to anyone who responds!

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

BeyondTheNow said:
Not that I’m aware of. It took me approx 3yrs from submission of app to basic. There are a ton of factors that go into the length of one’s recruitment process. (Trade choice is a big one, clearances, personnel changes—my file manager changed a couple of times, the occasional pandemic...etc., etc.) In a perfect world, the process is seamless. But that’s often not the case, unfortunately. That being said, cases like yours and mine—years for processing—thankfully aren’t the norm. All I can say is be patient.

Keep in touch with your recruiter/file manager every month or so. Make sure there isn’t any info they’re missing/waiting for, make sure everything is as squared off from your end as possible. There is no doubt that the current state of affairs will have an impact at some level. It’ll just have to be waited out.

Thank you for your response. Believe it or not, it helps knowing I'm not the only one whose application has taken this long.
When did you go through the application process?

ACE_Engineer said:
Thank you for your response. Believe it or not, it helps knowing I'm not the only one whose application has taken this long.
When did you go through the application process?

I submitted my app in Oct 2011. I didn’t sustain any sort of injury during the process holding things up, my security clearance was a reasonable amount of time (if I remember correctly) even though I’d lived outside the country, there weren’t any extenuating circumstances which held things up on my end. For me, it was strictly a matter of what my first trade choice was.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, although I can entirely empathize with any frustrations you’re probably experiencing. I’ve always been the type of person who needs to be doing something and simply sitting around waiting, not being able to plan or move forward can take its toll on certain personality types. Use this extra time to focus on getting in excellent shape. Nurse your foot and strengthen it as much as possible. There’s a reasonable possibility to expect that any injuries of the past could be irritated during training.

I’m not entirely sure how everything will get ironed out once all is up and running again...and no one knows how long everything will be suspended for right now. I’d assume that first priority will be getting the people who were at varying points in their courses going again. (And I don’t think anyone knows at this point if they’ll start exactly where they left off, or if they’ll have to backtrack, or possibly start again—it would depend on a few factors, I’d imagine.) Then there’ll be a backlog of ones who were slated to go who’ve had messages cut. Then everyone still moving forward who have made it through varying parts of the recruiting process. There’s going to be some bottle-necking going on for sure and it’s anyone’s guess how long everything will take to get even the slightest bit close to normal. My only advice is to hang in there.

Aero_Solas said:
With the new virus going around, I'm certain that things are changing with new recruits who are in the process of joining.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on if applications are halted for the forseeable future or if they're slowing applications down or if nothing has changed at all.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Please see above response to ACE_Engineer

So other than reaching out to the recruiter, given that I recieved the letter outlining the reason I was found unsuitable in Jan 2019, what would be the best way to get started on resuming the chase?

Xylric said:
So other than reaching out to the recruiter, given that I recieved the letter outlining the reason I was found unsuitable in Jan 2019, what would be the best way to get started on resuming the chase?

Attachments

• rocky.gif
    rocky.gif
    1 MB · Views: 109
Aero_Solas said:

Just anecdotally, it would seem that applications are not halted, but it may depend on what stage of the process you are in.

I did my medical in January, and since I am 40 years old, I had to get some further tests from my primary care physician and a letter from him saying I am fit for service. I submitted all of that in late February and was told my file needed to go to Ottawa for medical people there to review and sign off.

A week and a half ago I spoke to my file manager and she advised that my medical stuff was reviewed and I was deemed fit for service in early May. My background check was also completed during the COVID-19 period, so they certainly have not put files completely on hold -- they are reviewing medical files and doing background checks at least.

She also told me the a Military Career Counsellor (I think that's the name) is looking over my references and they will let me know whether those check out in another week or two (1 of my 3 references was "rejected" because he was never in a supervisory position over me, even though the application form doesn't require all 3 be supervisors, but they said the two that were accepted may be fine).

Good Day,

Applications are not halted, the same as processing is not halted.

The CAF is still processing files but it's determined on the type of file that it is.  For example the CAF is doing Phase 1 right now which is processing ROTP files, MOTP & MOTP Surge files, Medical DEO files (there's a few others as well) - if you don't fall into the Phase 1 categories your application will still be accepted, but it won't be processed until that Phase that your file falls into is reached.  The phases and start dates are not set in stone as the COVID-19 situation is ongoing and as a Government agency the CAF will follow suit not only with Federal timelines, but also Provincial timelines (keep in mind that Recruiting Group HQ is in Ontario so return to work rules fall under both Federal and Ontario Provincial timelines).

I've been told that specific to Southwest Ontario, CIC/COATS applications are indefinitely on hold/not being processed. But it sounds like everything else is proceeding.

LittleBlackDevil said:
I've been told that specific to Southwest Ontario, CIC/COATS applications are indefinitely on hold/not being processed. But it sounds like everything else is proceeding.

"Southern Ontario" (SON) or whichever detachment you're through should be used - there is no "Southwestern" CFRC.
SON is comprised of:
Toronto (Toronto Public Health) which is currently locked down
Oshawa (Durham Region Health Department) which is Red
Hamilton (City of Hamilton Public Health Services) which is Red
Barrie (Grey Bruce Health Unit) which is Yellow
London (Middlesex-London Health Unit) which is Yellow

So each CFRC has their Regional rules to follow, plus they fall under Toronto as their Regional HQ so have to follow their rules; AND Toronto falls under CFRG HQ.

With that sad I'm responding in the other thread that you brought this issue up (in the future please avoid double postings).

Buck_HRA said:
"Southern Ontario" (SON) or whichever detachment you're through should be used - there is no "Southwestern" CFRC.

Thanks for the clarification. I see now that I misread the email from my file manager. I thought it said Southwestern Ontario, but now see it in fact said Southern Ontario.

Having reviewed the letter I received outlining the reasons for my medical disqualification, I've come to the conclusion that the smartest thing for me to do is to seek employment elsewhere for the time being, and after a suitable amount of time has passed, reapply. I got the letter in Jan 2019, so at this point it's been two years. Trying to reply to it now seems counter-productive. Might as well improve my overall wellbeing in the meantime, no?

Having reviewed the letter I received outlining the reasons for my medical disqualification, I've come to the conclusion that the smartest thing for me to do is to seek employment elsewhere for the time being, and after a suitable amount of time has passed, reapply. I got the letter in Jan 2019, so at this point it's been two years. Trying to reply to it now seems counter-productive. Might as well improve my overall wellbeing in the meantime, no?
Its never a bad idea to work to improve your overall health, be it mental, physical or both. When you do go to apply again, the steps you take now will be the ammunition you need to show you're fit for service.

Its never a bad idea to work to improve your overall health, be it mental, physical or both. When you do go to apply again, the steps you take now will be the ammunition you need to show you're fit for service.
Agreed. My uncle is a retired CWO, and is very against the idea of my joining based on his perception of my behaviour, but the thing is, the rules by which I operate social obligations with my family are extremely different from the rules in which I operate professionally, so he's only really gotten to know the "silly" side of me. I mean, it's family. I'm not going to be a robot all the time!

My nature seems to lend itself very well to a number of roles, military or otherwise, and truth be told - if I'm deemed psychologically and physically fit by experts, my uncle's opinion doesn't exactly matter. It could just simply be the reality that our personalities clash.

Back