• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/fake-war-veterans-at-ceremonies-prompt-new-safeguards-from-ottawa-1.3174599

Does anyone recognize the man on the right? I'm no expert but I question the fact that a Canadian would have a Silver Star, Bronze Star, a purple heart etc... Of course he maybe would have spent time in the US services prior to becoming a Canadian soldier, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

http://espritdecorps.ca/defence-platforms-green

slayer/raptor said:
Does anyone recognize the man on the right? I'm no expert but I question the fact that a Canadian would have a Silver Star, Bronze Star, a purple heart etc... Of course he maybe would have spent time in the US services prior to becoming a Canadian soldier, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

That sure does look odd. Also some sort of legion medals over on the right side. Someone should be able to ID and verify fairly quickly.

A number of Canadians joined the US Armed Forces during the Vietnam War and subsequently joined the CF. Some of them wore their US bravery awards.

Rick Smith was a WO Huey Medevac Pilot and was shot down several times while extracting wounded, at the age of nineteen. I first met him at 422 Squadron (which was later merged with 403 Squadron) in Gagetown in 1978. He was also an Instructor at the Rotary Wing School in Portage when I did my Jet Ranger course in 1982.

I met an Officer Cadet at an RCR function somewhere in the seventies who was wearing some US medals. His last name was Cunningham, first name may have been Keith. There was also a Master Corporal in 3 RCR whose name I have completely forgotten.

The last one (green and white) appears to be the Vietnam Campaign Medal and beside it you can barely see what appears to be the Vietnam Service Medal.

If he has the Silver Star then he should be on the Silver Star data base. If anyone recognizes him. 

I knew Keith Cunningham. He was a captain (RCR) last I saw him, very early nineties.

slayer/raptor said:

If you are so upset by the possibility (however remote) that the gentleman in question is wearing foreign (or Canadian) awards to which he is not entitled, then why don't you contact the organization whose regalia he is wearing.  The Canadian Association of Veterans in United Nations Peacekeeping (CAVUNP) has a presence on the net with a list of contacts for their chapters including Victoria, the locale identified with the photo.  Likely, someone there can identify the gentleman and if they already know him to be genuine can tell you what to do.

(Edited to add)

Or, since it appears that he (along with the chap sporting the retirement beard) is also wearing the insignia of the Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation, you can check that database.  I found photos there (along with identifying info) of individuals who look similar to these gentleman being presented the commendation.

Also note that all three of the gentlemen with Ms. May all belong to the same organization. I'm willing to bet that all three know each other and can probably vouch for each others awards.

Far more troubling to me is the fact that Ms. May appears to me have two antennae (with Canadian flags no less) sprouting from her head which confirms to me something I've always suspected - she's a Martian!

I had a MCpl in Calgary who had remustered out of 8CH.  One of his Sgt had been awarded an Iron Cross as a kid during the second world war.  He requested permission to wear the medal and it was granted.  Apparently it caused more than one double take on parades from visiting reviewing officers and dignitaries.

And a friend, still serving, wears his medals earned as a youngster in the Parachute Regiment alongside his Canadian decorations.

jollyjacktar said:
I had a MCpl in Calgary who had remustered out of 8CH.  One of his Sgt had been awarded an Iron Cross as a kid during the second world war.  He requested permission to wear the medal and it was granted.  Apparently it caused more than one double take on parades from visiting reviewing officers and dignitaries.

Not that unusual as some people may think. When I was with 3 PPCLI in the mid-late '70's we had two senior NCO's who had fought in the Hitler Youth during WW2. Then there was a good friend of mine who was in 2 PPCLI during the sixties talking about having a former German paratrooper in his section. 

Retired AF Guy said:
Not that unusual as some people may think. When I was with 3 PPCLI in the mid-late '70's we had two senior NCO's who had fought in the Hitler Youth during WW2. Then there was a good friend of mine who was in 2 PPCLI during the sixties talking about having a former German paratrooper in his section.

Yes.  I worked with a German on the highway patrol who had been a Hitler Youth, Fallschrimjager, Green Beret in Viet Nam, 2nd REP FFL in Djibouti and a Merc before coming to RCMP and to the highway patrol, where I met him.  Interesting man, he was.

A lot of captured Germans were sent to Canada to spend the war in POW camps. The treatment they experienced was correct, and not brutal or terribly strict. Evidence suggest the experience had a positive effect and a large number of German veterans emigrated to Canada after the war. (Not all would have been prisoners here, but how many wanted to move behind the Iron Curtain to experience the Soviet life style?)

Old Sweat said:
A lot of captured Germans were sent to Canada to spend the war in POW camps. The treatment they experienced was correct, and not brutal or terribly strict. Evidence suggest the experience had a positive effect and a large number of German veterans emigrated to Canada after the war. (Not all would have been prisoners here, but how many wanted to move behind the Iron Curtain to experience the Soviet life style?)

My father-in-law was one of those, though never a guest of Her Majesty in Canada.  He was shot and captured in 1943 on the Eastern Front and was released by the Soviets in 1951.  He came to Canada in 1956 after hearing what some of his comrades had experienced while held here.

jollyjacktar said:

And a friend, still serving, wears his medals earned as a youngster in the Parachute Regiment alongside his Canadian decorations.

That may have well been Wolf Funke. I served with him in Germany, early '70s. He served in the navy and had a blockade runners medal with a number of clasps and some others.

We were getting ready for Lielifontaine and were told CF Greens with medals for the next day. Wolfe stuck up his hand and asked our SSM, who happened to be a Brit, if that meant all medals. After a number of expletives he said "yes, all your medals." So next day, there was Wolfe with his Canadian and Nazi medals. As the SSM walk up to him during inspection, and spotted them, he went absolutely apoplectic to the point he couldn't speak and he actually turned purple. Funny shit that was.

And Wolfe wore all his medals from that time on.

recceguy said:
That may have well been Wolf Funke. I served with him in Germany, early '70s. He served in the navy and had a blockade runners medal with a number of clasps and some others.

We were getting ready for Lielifontaine and were told CF Greens with medals for the next day. Wolfe stuck up his hand and asked our SSM, who happened to be a Brit, if that meant all medals. After a number of expletives he said "yes, all your medals." So next day, there was Wolfe with his Canadian and Nazi medals. As the SSM walk up to him during inspection, and spotted them, he went absolutely apoplectic to the point he couldn't speak and he actually turned purple. Funny crap that was.

Good story and all the power to him.  However, the SSM doesn't actually have the authority to do that. No one in the CF does.  Only the Chancellery has the authority to authorize the wearing of foreign honours with Canadian ones.  CF members who've been awarded foreign honours need to request permission through the Chain of Command (who forward it to the Chancellery).  Civilians and retirees can go straight to the Chancellery.  Please note I'm not talking about simply wearing foreign honours, but rather wearing foreign honours with Canadian ones.

I wonder what the Chancellery would have said in this case.  The Iron Cross would have come from an office at the Head of State level and would have recognized an achievement for which a Canadian honour was not awarded.  These are two of the main criteria used in making the decision.

recceguy said:

We were getting ready for Lielifontaine and were told CF Greens with medals for the next day. Wolfe stuck up his hand and asked our SSM, who happened to be a Brit, if that meant all medals. After a number of expletives he said "yes, all your medals." So next day, there was Wolfe with his Canadian and Nazi medals. As the SSM walk up to him during inspection, and spotted them, he went absolutely apoplectic to the point he couldn't speak and he actually turned purple. Funny crap that was.

Interesting. :) Were his medals the "real deal" or were they the "57" versions,?

The oldest guy on my MWO course in 1986, was a Jimmy and a Korea Vet and it turned out that was his second war as well. He had been Hitler Youth called up at the end and after the war the family emigrated to Canada and to proved his devotion to his new country joined up when he was 18-19. There was an interesting gong mounted beside the Korean ones on his DEUs. Mind there were also a couple of SADF and Rhodesian gongs on that grad parade amongst the candidates.

I’ve seen numerous US, Brit, South African, Aussie, Rhodesian medals and assorted boy scout badges on display on blazers at Legion Conventions  and will probably see a few more tomorrow at the Warriors Day at the CNE. Good conversation starters over a cold wobbly pop or two after the parade.

Wow..........

Wearing unearned medals is protected by 1st Amendment, appeals court rules

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-stolen-valor-act-court-20160111-story.html?14525768403773

DAA said:
Wow..........

Wearing unearned medals is protected by 1st Amendment, appeals court rules

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-stolen-valor-act-court-20160111-story.html?14525768403773

Not a particularly surprising decision for an American court, really. Their constitution is considerably more absolute on free speech issues than our charter.

Back