• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

jollyjacktar said:
Jesus, I never realized I was Airborne material before....  stone cold.  :nod:  I have more canopy time in one of those than you can shake a stick at.  ;D

I wonder has that stolen valor page ever made a mistake in accusing anyone?

Chief Stoker said:
I wonder has that stolen valor page ever made a mistake in accusing anyone?

That is entirely possible as it is a human endeavour and humans do make mistakes from time to time.  I would suggest, however, that there is more of the "where there's smoke there's fire" to their revelations.  This particular man in question may indeed have some truth in his backstory.  I know if I was home, I could look at my Security Branch Silver Anniversary book and see if he is in the rolls listed at the back.  I know, I'm listed.

As for my comment above, it was more directed and poking fun at myself as I spent more time in one of those airborne tower trainers than out of one when I was a little squealer. 

There were a few guys who chimed in that this Walt was posted to Chatham NB in the 80s and was released as a Pte.
So, there is zero truth to his story other than graduating basic training.

Also, for a good laugh check this picture out.  I find it CRAZY no one at the MP school picked up on this guy.

Attachments

• 16797064_741326919350316_3512319948079089783_o.jpg
    16797064_741326919350316_3512319948079089783_o.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 386
Tarlouth said:
There were a few guys who chimed in that this Walt was posted to Chatham NB in the 80s and was released as a Pte.

Also, for a good laugh check this picture out.  I find it CRAZY no one at the MP school picked up on this guy.

That's ballsy

Tarlouth said:
....  I find it CRAZY no one at the MP school picked up on this guy.

Actually, I do believe that the CF MP FB page has outed him:

https://www.facebook.com/stolenvalour.ca/?hc_location=ufi

Tarlouth said:

Apparently he was a MP for a while.

walt_zpsiymktolm.jpg

I thought this was a good read. Looks like the list of Walts could be updated to include some Canadians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_imposter

It also has this warning that I think is quite valid:

Accusations do occasionally backfire, with real veterans accused of being imposters.[21] Doug Sterner, a Vietnam War veteran who catalogs military awards, and Stolen Valor author B.G. Burkett, note that some modern veterans have become hypersensitive to imposters, leading to vigilantism or even turning detection into a "hunting game."[22][23] A common error is placing too much emphasis on neatness of a uniform or certain quirks about how it's worn, which is not necessarily compelling when a veteran is older and has been out of the service for several decades.[22] Another is making too many inferences based on older regulations, such as gender restrictions that were in place in the past.[24] Even FOIA requests to the National Personnel Records Center, considered the most thorough type of verification for US veterans, are not perfect and sometimes fail to find a record even if the veteran is genuine.[25] Sterner states, "There’s some people that feel good about confronting people, and making themselves look big by trying to take them down. But when they do that, they’re going to make mistakes."[23]

"Sgt"  Art, the Walt, Leonard.

I wonder why a guy who wants to pretend he lad a long and decorated career only actually spent 4-5 years in the CAF.  I guess pretending is way easier than doing.  But man, he takes pretending to a whole new level.  Even purchased mess kit !

Attachments

• fant.jpg
    fant.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 274
Tarlouth said:
......  But man, he takes pretending to a whole new level.  Even purchased mess kit !

Purchasing second-hand Mess Kit may have actually been cheaper than purchasing the full size and miniature sets of medals.

Anyone want to help me write a book? "How to Walt- a guide to stealing valor". I think we can make the amazon top 10 list.

I'm thinking a second installment can be about writing the "You caught me, I screwed up, I'm so sorry I never meant to hurt anyone" apology along with tips on disappearing from social media.

We'll need to sneak in hints like all pcninjajtfsnipercommando wear their medals on the right. Forage caps are only for real killers. Putties and ankle boots are only for ultra secret express assassination teams.

Should be pretty easy to spot them about 3 months after publication.  [:D

Tarlouth said:
. . . he takes pretending to a whole new level.  Even purchased mess kit !

What mess kit?  If you look closely, the individual in question appears to be wearing a dinner jacket (i.e. tuxedo).  Readily available for rental and if worn more than once or twice a year probably makes sense to purchase.  I suppose as one's fantasy becomes more accepted the more filled is one's social calendar.  It is appropriate to wear miniatures on same depending on the occasion.  As to whether he is entitled to the wear of miniatures is another discussion. 

Tarlouth said:

I wonder why a guy who wants to pretend he lad a long and decorated career only actually spent 4-5 years in the CAF.  I guess pretending is way easier than doing.  But man, he takes pretending to a whole new level.  Even purchased mess kit !

I am not a Facebook user. Could you please post some of the details of his actual career, and how these details are known?

Loachman said:
I am not a Facebook user. Could you please post some of the details of his actual career, and how these details are known?

Here you go.
http://www.ipacanadaregion2.com/Roundup%20March%202016.pdf

Poor guy.  I hope he gets the help he needs  :(

MARS said:
Here you go.

Poor guy.  I hope he gets the help he needs  :(

I am surprised that no one at Legion Magazine ever bothered to match the story to the medals.  Story has him serving in UNPROFOR, yet there is no UNPROFOR medal; but a NATO IFOR medal (with 3 Tours) is shown.

I firmly believe that because of people like this making a farce of ptsd,  actual members WITH ptsd stay in the shadows,  and sometimes don't come out alive. 

MARS said:
Here you go.

Thanks. That link was posted at the start of this latest tale, though. It's his actual career details that I seek, and how he was outed.

Jarnhamar said:
I firmly believe that because of people like this making a farce of ptsd,  actual members WITH ptsd stay in the shadows,  and sometimes don't come out alive.

You're right on that, Jarn! I was three years in a deer camp. They punted me when they found out about my PTSD. No matter how I explained it, they wouldn't listen. Too many old fudds with no education and not willing to be. I've had serving members, with no overseas or operational experience hack on me as well as Legion vets. Service members and veterans are the most vicious group out there against those with PTSD. Civvies are just befuddled (except LEO, FF, and EMS). I have no, or very little outward physical ailments, so it's difficult for some to equate injuries, physical or mental without seeing you incapacitated. I don't know about others, but my diagnoses was a culmination of two years and 10+ professionals and their opinions. I stopped worrying about people that can't accept it and move on. Part of my therapy is not to hide it, but speak openly about it. I do that. It takes about five minutes to figure out whether you're getting through to them. If they don't get it by then or they get upset, I excuse myself to get a beer and just don't return to the conversation. I'm going on 64 with 37+ years service and haven't got the time to spend with people that want to argue, accuse or belittle me. There's a few cases in 32 CBG area that require some attention, because of blue on blue.

You are absolutely on the money about those in the closet that suffer in silence.

- mod edit to remove reference to identifiable individual -

recceguy said:
You're right on that, Jarn! ...................................................
................... Service members and veterans are the most vicious group out there against those with PTSD. Civvies are just befuddled (except LEO, FF, and EMS). .............................

I think you nailed it as being part and parcel of what and why you posted that in this thread; veterans are dealing with those with PTSD in the same way that they deal with posers. 

Back