• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Is this a thread about liars or spell check and grammar?  My apologies but I do not spend every waking moment online to go out of my way to fix one or two words, especially when the message was understood. I've had a lot more important things going on like studying for my cfat to worry about minor things like this.  I signed on here and there to take a break and see if there was anything interesting going on.  So as I said my apologies for not jumping at fixing minor mistakes. Usually I read and acknowledge the issue/mistake and learn for next time.

-T.

Fotoshark said:
Is this a thread about liars or spell check and grammar?  My apologies but I do not spend every waking moment online to go out of my way to fix one or two words, especially when the message was understood. I've had a lot more important things going on like studying for my cfat to worry about minor things like this.  I signed on here and there to take a break and see if there was anything interesting going on.  So as I said my apologies for not jumping at fixing minor mistakes. Usually I read and acknowledge the issue/mistake and learn for next time.

-T.

Many members here have learned, often by bitter experience, that communicating is important in the military, and good, effective communication is aided by ABC: Accuracy, Brevity and Clarity.

I will leave brevity alone, but Accuracy and Clarity are aided, maybe even depend upon following some simple format, spelling, punctuation and grammar rules. (Remember Eats, Shoots & Leaves?)  The members who care a lot have also learned that clarity and accuracy matter more than your feelings. Since you are, evidently, preparing to apply to serve in the CF it is a lesson you might want to take on board.

So are we limited to simple walters or can we include media darlings with suspect and inflated military credentials, or would that involve killing felines again.  :stirpot:

Bass ackwards said:
An (allegedly) ex-Navy coworker was telling me tales of spending two weeks in a sub (he was normally a surface guy) -after which it was necessary to spend time in a decompression chamber AND not be exposed to white light for a couple of days.

The decompression chamber has already been addressed, but I'm curious about the white light exposure.  Was this somehow attributed to a lack of sunlight?

Having done a short trip aboard Corner Brook as a "Relish Rider", the only post-mission special treatment I required was time on a treadmill.  Those cooks worked their arses off.  Also needed the world's longest/hotest shower to get the diesel-reek out of the pores.  Still - one of the highlights so far of my career.

When I need to prop myself up a little I tell people my name is Journeyman.

:prancing:

Scott said:
When I need to prop myself up a little I tell people my name is Journeyman.
Social climber. 

Be careful though, some folks may want money and others may be pissed-off boyfriends.    ;)

Dirt Digger, when were you a rider on COR?  I think I may have been on that trip - you and a sergeant from Bio Med about a two years ago or so, was it not?  I was the guy with the rack that opened up into the Wardroom.  Liked to lounge in my boxers and probably put you off your meals :)  As for the light question - utter bollocks.  We have to take vitamin D pills, and you stick out pretty bad if you go into a sunny, southern port...but effecting your eyes? Negative.

Journeyman said:
Social climber. 

Be careful though, some folks may want money and others may be pissed-off boyfriends.    ;)

I've also got CADPAT business cards with Mike Bobbitt on them for the money seekers and pissed off boyfriends.

Journeyman said:
Social climber. 

Well, if you'd treat them right they wouldn't be pissed off with you!

Or you could always try women instead...

dapaterson said:

:rofl: :nana:

dapaterson said:

:goodpost:

dapaterson said:

:bowdown:

Tough crowd.  And to think I almost chose this week to be sensitive.

Fotoshark said:

-T.
As they say, you only get one chance to make a first impression, including online - more here:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/102275.0.html

milnews.ca said:
As they say, you only get one chance to make a first impression, including online - more here:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/102275.0.html

2 pages ago I got the point and accepted it.

recceguy said:
Back on track folks.

Milnet.ca Staff

Anyways, as to my two most notable stories, they're about two fellas that were a few cans short of a six pack.

The first claimed to be in the PPCLI and that while "serving" he said that he was allowed to carry katanas with his field kit  :facepalm:. He'd also refer to our weaponry by American designations (specifically he'd refer to the C9 as the M249 or the SAW and was oblivious as to what C9 meant) amongst other inconsistencies (e.g. saying that the CF had Sergeant First Class as an SNCO rank). This fella was especially....uh....special....I guess you could say. The thing is, when I called him out on his BS he basically blew a gasket and spewed a bunch of nonsense about how he could "use his security clearance to find out who I am", etc, etc. This guy had definite issues. If I remember correctly, he had eventually ended up in hot water with the local university over some inappropriate things that he had written in a paper and then a following inappropriate e-mail to the professor trying to contest the grade.

The second fella was a little bit more sane, but his stories had some major inconsistencies. He claimed to have served  and that he was in the Airborne Regiment for the majority of his service. I initially took it at face value, as this fella looks older than his actual age. When I found out how old he actually is, he'd have been about 15 during his "service" (not withstanding the fact that he'd have been about 17 at the time of the Airborne Regiment's disbandment). There were further inconsistencies, namely identification of certain kit items using American names (seems to be a common trait amongst the poseurs that I've met) and that when he enthusiastically gave me his "service number" as a way of trying to prove his so-called service, his SN wasn't even valid, it was just a string of about 4 numbers with a letter on the end. On top of that, there were just so many inconsistencies with verybasic CF knowledge (e.g. rank, drill) that I called BS on what he was saying.

I know that you guys have much better stories than these, but I just figured I'd share two of my more egregious poseur stories. These guys drive me up the wall, just because they're disrespecting any unit that they claim to be in by pretending to be a member of that unit not to mention they make the entire CF look bad, because quite frankly, most of the poseurs that I've met are nutbars....

EDIT: Mods, could you please merge this post with the existing thread? Thanks :) !

Back