• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

recceguy said:
Take a look from the start of the thread. We've had our share.

Still compared to the Brits us Colonials remain mere amatuers at walting. Even the Aussies are way ahead of us in this. As I have no real job this year at the Warriors Day goat rodeo in August I think I'll take my camera and go talent spotting. Otherwise we may need NDHQ to set up a program to increase the overal standard of Waltery in this country, kind of like "own the podium."  ;D

Danjanou said:
....  we may need NDHQ VAC to set up a program to increase the overal standard of Waltery in this country via a Centre of Excellence, kind of like "own the podium."  ;D
FTFY  ;D

I wonder if there is a `School of Waltery`set up in the UK for VAC to model this new COE off of, or if this set up be the model for all others...sounds like a win win for someone  ;D.

MM

medicineman said:
I wonder if there is a `School of Waltery`set up in the UK for VAC to model this new COE off of, or if this set up be the model for all others...sounds like a win win for someone  ;D.

MM

Actually yes

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Walting_With_Confidence

He has been lying his whole life but this lie is too much to let go of - especially this close to Remembrance Day. Where do I go, whom do I contact and what proof do I require to "out" him?

mathgeek said:
Where do I go, whom do I contact and what proof do I require to "out" him?

Probably find some good advice here:

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/60282.1775

mathgeek said:
He has been lying his whole life but this lie is too much to let go of - especially this close to Remembrance Day. Where do I go, whom do I contact and what proof do I require to "out" him?

Would it be too much to ask what this alleged relative is supposed to have been doing?

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5149940-mohawk-college-keynote-speaker-s-war-medals-under-scrutiny/

Mohawk College keynote speaker's war medals under scrutiny
Hamilton Spectator
By Teviah Moro

When the highly decorated war veteran took the stage at Mohawk College for Remembrance Day, the sight inspired awe in at least one student participating in the solemn ceremony.

"In my eyes, when he first walked up on the stage, he was a hero," recalls Daniel Levinter, an 18-year-old student and former cadet with a keen eye for military hardware.

The array of U.S. medals on his chest and around the small man's neck — including a Silver Star, Bronze Star, POW medal, Purple Heart and Joint Service Commendation Medal — commanded enormous respect.

But Donald Lemmond wasn't what he seemed.

There's no record of the 71-year-old Hamiltonian ever serving in the U.S. Army, a spokesperson confirmed Thursday.

"Essentially, this individual never served in the U.S. Army (active duty, Army National Guard or Army Reserve)," Wayne Hall wrote Thursday in an email to The Spectator.

But Lemmond, who also says he has 30 years of Canadian military experience under his belt, is sticking with his story.

"Well, I don't know what to say. I'll just have to live the last few months with the consequences," he said, adding he has cancer.

He's sensitive to being perceived as a "faker," with a Quebec man facing charges after appearing in a CBC interview wearing a fake soldier's uniform at the War Memorial in Ottawa on Remembrance Day.

About a year ago, Lemmond says, someone at Her Majesty's Army and Navy Veterans club on MacNab Street North, where he's a member, questioned his military credentials.

Tracy Walton, the association's financial secretary, said she'd heard about the allegations. "It's just he said, she said," Walton added. "There's nothing in writing."

Lemmond's winding narrative of his military career has him skipping back and forth between Canada and the United States, visiting family and serving in both armed forces.

At 13, he says he suited up for the cadets in Hamilton. In 1963, he graduated to the RHLI, embarking on an army reserve career that ended in 1986, when he was discharged, the old-age pensioner says, who offered up apparent Canadian military documents to vouch for his service.

When contacted Thursday, an official for Library and Archives Canada said confirmation about Lemmond's Canadian military record would require an access to information request. The Department of National Defence declined to comment.

Lemmond says in the 1970s he spent six months in Vietnam with his American cousins, where he served as a stretcher bearer for the U.S. Army.

"I don't know that you would call it extreme valour of anything else. I just did my job."

Lemmond also says he served unofficially with the U.S. Army in Afghanistan with his cousin, a commanding officer, in 2006-07.

"It was only a matter of three months, if that."

He retired in 2007 with the rank of captain, he says.

As for the medals, Lemmond says he's had them for a little over a year and a half — his cousin told him he should have them.

"They're the ones that my cousin sent me. He said they're your medals," said Lemmond, who lives in a small, modest suite in a Hamilton public housing high rise.

On Wednesday, Lemmond said he'd given his medals to a local military officer, whose name he wouldn't mention, to have them mounted properly.

Lemmond's time in the spotlight in Mohawk's packed McIntyre Theatre during one of its most important events of the year was brief, college spokesperson Jay Robb said.

"There was nothing there that stood out," Robb said. "He did talk about serving for both Canada and the United States."

The college was introduced to the guest speaker through the senior citizen's participation in Citizenship and Immigration Canada swearing-in courts at Mohawk.

A spokesperson for Citizenship and Immigration Canada couldn't provide comment by press time Thursday.

Levinter said as Lemmond spoke, he started noticing "red flags," such as a botched reference to one medal. Levinter was also skeptical of his Afghanistan service because of his age.

Canadians place great trust in war veterans, the police foundations student said.

"The best way to describe it would be to say that trust was misplaced."

Lemmond says he's also visited elementary school students at Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Catholic Elementary School.

Catholic board chair Pat Daly said Thursday like Mohawk, the school was introduced to Lemmond through citizenship ceremonies. "One would just assume that proper checks would have taken place."

Daly said principal Vito Colella "never heard him speak specifically about his own background in the military or otherwise."

JS2218 said:
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5149940-mohawk-college-keynote-speaker-s-war-medals-under-scrutiny/

This guy can't even get his name tag correct.  In some photos he has a name tag belonging to "Tyrell".

Too many things don't add up with his story.
While still in the RHLI in the 70's he served 6 months as a member of the US Forces in Vietnam.
30 Years in the Canadian Forces but in the picture I don't see a CD.
Says he has 30 years of Canadian military experience under his belt but states 1963 to 1986 as service years in RHLI.
Retired in 2007 as a Captain after "he served unofficially with the U.S. Army in Afghanistan with his cousin, a commanding officer, in 2006-07."
As for the medals, Lemmond says he's had them for a little over a year and a half — his cousin told him he should have them.
Anyone who had 30 years service would know that's not the way you receive awarded medals.
Yes I think we have another WALT on our hands.

6 months in Vietnam as a stretcher bearer and still had time to earn a POW medal?

Oh and also was serving as a unofficial Captain with the US Forces at 63-64 years of age?

Not a chance.

I have a better chance of getting to the moon than any foreigner (Canadian included) would have had of getting to Area 51 in the 1960s. That is still probably true.

Nothing in his story adds up. Canada had areconnaissance program over the USSR? Really? With what aircraft? The CF-100?

SeaKingTacco said:
Not a chance.

I have a better chance of getting to the moon than any foreigner (Canadian included) would have had of getting to Area 51 in the 1960s. That is still probably true.

Nothing in his story adds up. Canada had areconnaissance program over the USSR? Really? With what aircraft? The CF-100?

It was all hush hush, but it involved astral projection and UFO's, and was personally directed by the Minister of Defense, Paul Hellyer. :alien:

Or so my dog told me. :dunno:

Back