• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Source: Stolen Valour - Canada Facebook page

*****UPDATE*****

Michel-Éric Castonguay

LaPresse - 16 Dec 2017

He called himself veterinarian and veteran of the war in Afghanistan. He was neither one nor the other. Although he invented a diploma and a military past, Michel-Éric Castonguay obtained a level 2 (secret) security clearance necessary to become a political attaché of two ministers in Ottawa.

In 2010-2011, Mr. Castonguay worked successively for Christian Paradis and Denis Lebel, then Conservative ministers in Stephen Harper's cabinet. Like all future federal government employees, Mr. Castonguay was investigated prior to his hiring.

Despite this investigation, no one at that time noted that his resume was full of lies.

The press reported Tuesday that, contrary to what he had argued for years, Michel-Éric Castonguay had never served in the army. Nor does he hold a doctorate in veterinary medicine from the University of Glasgow, Scotland.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Il se disait vétérinaire et vétéran de la guerre d'Afghanistan. Il n'était ni l'un ni l'autre. Bien qu'il se soit inventé un diplôme et un passé militaire, Michel-Éric Castonguay a obtenu une autorisation de sécurité de niveau 2 (secret) nécessaire pour devenir attaché politique de deux ministres à Ottawa.

En 2010-2011, M. Castonguay a travaillé successivement pour Christian Paradis et Denis Lebel, alors ministres conservateurs dans le cabinet de Stephen Harper. Comme tous les futurs employés du gouvernement fédéral, M. Castonguay a fait l'objet d'une enquête préalablement à son embauche.

Malgré cette enquête, personne n'a relevé, à l'époque, que son curriculum vitae était truffé de mensonges.

La Presse a rapporté mardi que, contrairement à ce qu'il avait soutenu pendant des années, Michel-Éric Castonguay n'avait jamais servi dans l'armée. Il n'est pas davantage titulaire d'un doctorat en médecine vétérinaire de l'Université de Glasgow, en Écosse.

Maybe whoever does the investigating for federal government employees should have their screening process reviewed?

If this guy made it through I wonder who else slipped through. Time for a government-wide security screening reassessment (probably from a different organization).

Or maybe he didn't include those claims when he submitted his clearance.

Quite possible. I'm trying to read up about it but being severely hampered by my inability to read french.

It looks like he joined the conservative circus around 2010-2011. I thought I read somewhere that the conservatives were elated to have a veteran serving as an attache but I can't find the article. 

Jarnhamar said:
Quite possible. I'm trying to read up about it but being severely hampered by my inability to read french.

It looks like he joined the conservative circus around 2010-2011. I thought I read somewhere that the conservatives were elated to have a veteran serving as an attache but I can't find the article.

Google Chrome will translate almost every web page into an almost comprehensible English document.  ;D

:cheers:

I still don't really understand why people pretend to be a highly decorated military soldier / sailor / airman and think that they can get away with it.  The truth will eventually come out.
Full disclosure - In my past I pretended to be a highly qualified soldier to impress girls, when in fact I had very little time in, was barely out of my teens and shaved once a week.

Happy Guy said:
In my past I pretended to be a highly qualified soldier to impress girls....
When I was in Gagetown, I'd tell the Fredericton women that I was going to school to be a chef;  I didn't know anything  about the military.  :nod:

Journeyman said:
When I was in Gagetown, I'd tell the Fredericton women that I was going to school to be a chef;  I didn't know anything  about the military.  :nod:

We’re you Herman Nelson or Karl Gustav?

Journeyman said:

Is there a thread about you on Chef.ca?

Journeyman said:

So, other than you no longer being in Gagetown, what's changed?  :whistle:

Go big or go home.  ;D

Man poses as Army Lt. Gen., goes to classified briefing and orders helicopter ride

Christian Gerald Desgroux impersonated an Army lieutenant general.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2018/02/man-poses-as-army-lt-gen-goes-to-classified-briefing-and-orders-helicopter-ride/

war2001v said:
Earned my respect!

Desgroux has pending charges, including an alleged assault on a female from April 2017; misuse of the 911 system and violating a domestic violence protection order from May 2017; felony conversion in November 2017; and interfering with emergency communications, felony fleeing to elude arrest, misuse of the 911 system and misdemeanor stalking from December 2017

"Respect"  ::)

Journeyman said:
felony conversion

I had to look that up.

I imagined something like https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/02/16/woman-felony-charges-harassment-jewish-christian-conversion/23500593/, but it's actually https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_conversion

This Walt was in here earlier.

Alberta man pleads guilty after posing as retired U.S. marine at Remembrance Day events
Peter Toth of Red Deer never served in military despite saying he was wounded in combat

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/stolen-valour-canada-impostor-fake-soldier-peter-toth-guilty-plea-1.4586443

Back