• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WARNING TO ALL MSN USERS! 'cute.pif'

Korus

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
If you get a message that says "OMG this is funny!" and has a link to a .pif file (i.e. cute.pif), DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT. It's a virus/worm..

Got a few of those messages today.

and MSN used to be so clean compared to ICQ.

I got one called "mona lisa wants her smile back.pif"    needless to say i didnt download it

What do you mean get a message? Can't you only get messages from your friends? Or is this because the worm sends itself through msn?

You'll get it from friends if they got it and downloaded it I think.

Thanks for the update will keep an eye for ones like that .

i got one also that said "My new photo.pif" thank god i stoped the download

atticus said:
What do you mean get a message? Can't you only get messages from your friends? Or is this because the worm sends itself through msn?

If someone opens it, it then autoforwards to every active member on their contact list.

yea i downloaded it, and couldn't stop it before it was done (it was 17KB) but I didn't open it, I just deleted it, and no one complained of any files being sent by me, so thats good....but i will run all anti virus and spyware anyway..

.pif is a MsDos prompt file...so you should automatically be on guard. I've counted 7 contacts that sent me it throughout the day. Luckily, I didnt download any...

Just got my 4th message,
Microsoft better start developing some super artificial intelligence program to destroy all those worms and virus's...then we could develop it further for military applications, turn over airspace control to it.

Oh nono wait..that was a movie.

Don't you worry, Che... I'm sure Mr. Gates has a plan....  >:D

Remember SKYNET??? Yeaaah....

Cheers

the annoying thing is the .pif used to be an image format... that I used back in the day.

someone on my messenger tried to send me it too! not thinking i tried to open it but nothing happened, i did a scan after and it came up clean, i knew this person so i thought it was ok.  :-[

Jane

*old man voice*
"Sounds like something I picked up Da Nang."

I was lucky because the person who sent it to me would never say "OMG THIS IS SO FUNNY" so right away I knew it was mickey mouse.

anything that ends in .pif, .vbs, or .exe is bad news.  no matter who it's coming from.

Ma always said the net's like a box of chocolates...

My PC is like Area 51 in the internet world, nothing can really get within spitting distance of it without 1 of my SEVERAL Anti-Virus software, and numerous active Anti-Spyware programs catching it, putting it in a neck crank and only releasing when I say so.

More than one spy/adware catcher and more than one anti-virus will not work well together. They'd catch the same thing and all try to quartine what has already been quartined by another anti-virus. If you just keep one good one up to date you should be fine.

Back