• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Warrant Officer - Roles and Responsibilities

Midnight Rambler said:
As for MCpl, that is an appointment, so where you see "Cpl" above, you can also insert "MCpl".

Good you said that otherwise I'm sure someone would go on the war path about it .....

EDITED TO ADD

Just for those that will say "BUT its a rank ....."

QR&O's Vol 1 Ch 3

3.08 – MASTER CORPORAL APPOINTMENT
(1) The Chief of the Defence Staff or such officer as he may designate may appoint a corporal as a master corporal.
(2) The rank of a master corporal remains that of corporal.
(3) Master corporals have seniority among themselves in their order of seniority as corporals.
(4) Master corporals have authority and powers of command over all other corporals.

Midnight Rambler said:
Non Commissioned Member refers to all of the above.  We never really had a term that encompassed all that.  Oh, and "other ranks" were also known as "men" at one time.  Or was it all NCMs?

I believe that "Men" refered to all NCMs.. That was the big joke in the 80s..  My ID said I was a man, not a good man, just a Man.  Officer's ID cards said "Officer."

Midnight Rambler said:
not quite, but very close.  "Other Ranks", as I recall, certainly did not apply to non-commissioned officers nor to warrant officers. 

That depends on what period you are considering.  From my current research into the First World War I can assure you in that era there were only "Officers" and "Other Ranks" for reporting purposes.

War Diary of The Royal Canadian Regiment - NOVEMBER 1915

Total of 36 Officers + 1003 other ranks including

- Sgt. Major H. Phillips (W.O.)
- Sgt. Major H.J. Beard (W.O.)

Michael O`Leary said:
That depends on what period you are considering.  From my current research into the First World War I can assure you in that era there were only "Officers" and "Other Ranks" for reporting purposes.

War Diary of The Royal Canadian Regiment - NOVEMBER 1915

I thought about that after I posted it, and I seem to recall the CSMs reporting their companies to the RSM as "xxx Other ranks on parade, sir!", prior to the Adjutant taking over.  So, I guess "other rank" may have been replaced by NCM? 

And as Harley Sailor so correctly pointed out, all NCMs used to have "Man" on their ID cards.  Mine hasn't said that for years, and I recalled the jokes that I was no longer a man! ;D

Midnight Rambler said:
And as Harley Sailor so correctly pointed out, all NCMs used to have "Man" on their ID cards.  Mine hasn't said that for years, and I recalled the jokes that I was no longer a man! ;D
I still remember when told I would no longer be a "Man" - I've grown past that and I'm comfortable with my identity.
;)
What does this have to do with WO? I think it was one who told me.

Harley Sailor said:
I believe that "Men" refered to all NCMs.. That was the big joke in the 80s..  My ID said I was a man, not a good man, just a Man.  Officer's ID cards said "Officer."

IIRC, on the old CAFIB 20s, Reservists were neither man nor officer... they were just - Reservists

Thank you... I have been in now for 14 years now, and know how to properly address the CoC ????  It was a question of the history of the Warrant Officer, and how it came about to include the term "Officer" (Sorry if I did convey the question right)  ;D

Harley Sailor... I found the real answer thanks to your post!! Thanks a bunch  :salute:.. After 13 years (and yes, I am not internet savvy) Navy... Wow.. I can't wait to hack on my WO's....

Thank you..

geo said:
IIRC, on the old CAFIB 20s, Reservists were neither man nor officer... they were just - Reservists

Now mine says Reserve NCM...

begbie said:
Now mine says Reserve NCM...

On the old reserve CAFIB20s there used to be a line that ran across the ID card.... like it was Voided.
Just in case people would miss that you weren't Reg

The difference between a commissioned officer and a Warrant Officer......

When you commission something, you bring it in to service.

When you warrant something, you guarantee it.    :)

Lance Wiebe said:

When you warrant something, you guarantee it ...
... will fail to complete the punchline? 

So, from what I've read with these replies, a Warrant Officer is higher up than an Officer Cadet, but lower than 2LT?

BigLou42 said:
So, from what I've read with these replies, a Warrant Officer is higher up than an Officer Cadet, but lower than 2LT?

Whoa Nelly... careful how you use the term 'lower' when applied to Warrant Officer!

Q: What is exactly is a Warrant Officer?
A: Someone whose advice a subaltern ignores to their peril

Elective homework assignment: What is a subaltern?

BigLou42 said:

In the Canadian Forces all officers outrank all NCMs, so even an OCdt is higher in rank than a warrant officer (even a CWO).  In practice, however, OCdts are not typically placed in a position to have responsibility for a warrant officer.  On some courses they may have sergeants and warrant officers as instructors.

N. McKay said:
  On some courses they may have sergeants and warrant officers as instructors.
Even MCpls can be seen in some courses jacking up an OCdt or 2Lt - I still have flashbacks  8)

Lance Wiebe said:

When you warrant something, you guarantee it will work.    :)

Finished it for you Lance ;)

N. McKay said:
In the Canadian Forces all officers outrank all NCMs, so even an OCdt is higher in rank than a warrant officer (even a CWO).  In practice, however, OCdts are not typically placed in a position to have responsibility for a warrant officer.  On some courses they may have sergeants and warrant officers as instructors.

I may like to point out that an Officer Cadet does not hold a Commission.  (S)He is only an officer in his/her own mind.  ;D

George Wallace said:
I may like to point out that an Officer Cadet does not hold a Commission.  (S)He is only an officer in his/her own mind.   ;D
That's right, no commission, but still an officer (QR&O Vol I, 3.01(1). ) What's going through their minds is what they will do next week when they become CDS.  ;D

cheers,
Frank

Some people might disagree but right know a Platoon Warrant is being used as a professional babysitter for some of the  ****ed up troops sent to him. Performance and Drug problems are always less then pleasent aspics of the job that few hear about. Right now its just one pain in the *** after a another!!!!

Tow Tripod  

Tow Tripod said:
Some people might disagree but right know a Platoon Warrant is being used as a professional babysitter for some of the  ****ed up troops sent to him. Performance and Drug problems are always less then pleasent aspics of the job that few hear about. Right now its just one pain in the *** after a another!!!!

Tow Tripod  

- Reminds me of the late 70s, when half the Troopers in a regiment were on Release or Remuster.  Releases worked the bar at the Coriano Club (no professional bartenders in messes back then) and some of these guys could not count well enough to balance their DSR before the sun came up!

Back