• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Washington Capitals to honour Canadian forces at Jan. 17 game vs. Edmonton

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
MODS if not the right section please do your magic.

News Release

News Release
Washington Capitals to honour Canadian forces at Jan. 17 game vs. Edmonton
January 17, 2008

The Washington Capitals will salute Canada’s sailors, soldiers and air force personnel at the team’s game on Thursday, Jan. 17, against the Edmonton Oilers at Verizon Center in Washington. It marks the first time a U.S. NHL team will pay tribute to the Canadian forces at a home game.

"This important event means a lot to Canadian Forces members and we welcome the camaraderie and expressions of support shown by our American friends" said Defence Minister Peter MacKay. He added, "This type of event goes a long way in highlighting the values we share and strengthening the ties between our countries and our militaries."

Members of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) will present carry the flags of the United States and Canada. Sgt. Cindy Scott, a professional vocalist with the Air Command Band in Winnipeg, Manitoba, will sing the national anthems.

Among the members of the Canadian Forces in attendance will be sailors from HMCS Toronto, which recently returned from a NATO deployment in the Mediterranean; soldiers from PPCLI, Edmonton, who served in Afghanistan; Air Force personnel who deployed to Alaska with NORAD this past fall, as well as Canadian Forces personnel who reside in the D.C. area.

I don't know how many were given out, but the Sig Regt got 68 tickets to see Ottawa spank Carolina last night.

Yowze!

Now that says something!

A lot better than having Mr Gates sticking his foot in his mouth & dissing his allies while trying to point the finger at those that are not so allied......

Thank you Washington Capitals!

geo said:
A lot better than having Mr Gates sticking his foot in his mouth & dissing his allies while trying to point the finger at those that are not so allied......

I share the same sentiment, a very good and timely gesture from the Washington Capitals!

geo said:
Yowze!

Now that says something!

Considering most of the players on the team are Canadian, you can bet after Gates insulted Canadian soldiers, it was them who were able to make this happen.
Americans could care less

tweetypie said:
Considering most of the players on the team are Canadian, you can bet after Gates insulted Canadian soldiers, it was them who were able to make this happen.

Give your friggin' head a shake. Yea, all the planning and the 10,000 ceremonial pucks handed out were all planned and printer just  this week.
Did you see the standing ovation the colour party and the Sgt. singing the anthems got?

Its no wonder you are banned all over the internet and I'm losing my patience with you here.......

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Did you see the standing ovation the colour party and the Sgt. singing the anthems got?
No,
cant say I follow Washington Capitol games.
Leaf fan here

Its no wonder you are banned all over the internet and I'm losing my patience with you here.......

I was?
Or have been?
News to me.
But does that mean you agree with Gates also , that Canadian soldiers are not up to the job in Afghanistan?
As well as British and Dutch?

tweetypie said:

Considering Gates made his remark just this week that would be quite a feat to get all of this arranged in so short a time.  Wow.  I'm impressed. 

::)

tweetypie said:
But does that mean you agree with Gates also , that Canadian soldiers are not up to the job in Afghanistan?
As well as British and Dutch?

Back on topic.

The Army.ca Staff

I was hoping to catch the beginning of the Oilers game just to catch the anthem but ended up getting a ticket last minute for the Sens game, which was pretty good!

Back