• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

We’ve given up on Canada’s military, so let’s abandon it altogether

Piece of Cake said:
Epic, using your logic, all men can beat all women in every test of strength and endurance. So, can you beat the women's 100m dash world champion? Can you out press a women Olympic weightlifter? I would like to hear your answers.

1. Any man who trains for a specific category of lift will outlift a woman doing the same of set over the same course of training time. Hence why there are womens categories...and mens categories for virtually any and all competitions that involve lifting.

2. I have many certifications that allow me to teach and train Olympic power lifting as well as participating in competitions in the past 7 years. My family owned and ran a gym for years where I was the head Oly lift coach. If you would like my 1RM for specific lifts to compare to Olympic women weightlifters then provide me the specific lift..as there are more than one "press".

...that being said..my cardio is trash.

Remius said:
And that goes to the point when someone says we need to or should take a feminist approach to the CAF.  What are the key things that are discouraging women from joining?  Likely you will see that if you address those issues you might actually have a better product and make the CAF a more attractive employer as a whole to men and women.

That is a good basic question, Remius. But what if the answer is: It's not us?

Let me try and illustrate, and since we are in Canada, I'll use hockey - but also because I am heavily involved in my town with the hockey organization.

Women hockey is pretty well in the news all the time in the last say, 12-15 years. The National team is reported on, incensed in view of its performances, on TV for all major tournaments, the leaders extolled publicly, and employed after their career in sports reporting, etc.

There's a National team, a pro-league and women hockey at the university level and in the lower grades, in every town in Canada or just about.

Yet, every year, in our town, I get 10 boys registering to start to play hockey for every girl that does. Meanwhile, in absolute numbers, the figure skating club gets 8 girls registering to start figure skating  for every girl I manage to attract to hockey.

Is it because I am doing something wrong, or is it because parents still have a girl/boy activities approach as to what their little girls should participate in? In other words is there still a societal values bias against girls in what is seen as "masculine" undertakings? And if so, is it possible that civil society as it exists right now is still the one that pushes male/female distinctions as regards what is "acceptable" for girls or not? I only suggest that you look at the family, at large, reaction when their girl suddenly tells them she wants to be a fireman, or an industrial welder ... or a soldier. Then come and tell me it is the military that is pushing them away by what we present as an image, and not still accepted society norms.

Shouldn't the government, if it claims to be feminist in the sense of equality of result type of feminism, be better to work on convincing parents to push girls, in their formative years, towards, STEM, physical work and trades and anything "male" like the military, police or firefighting?

Until you change the parents/society at large and what they teach girls to strive for, I surmise that there is no approach, feminist or not, that the CAF can adopt that will lead to more woman showing up at the recruiting centre.

Piece of Cake said:
Epic, using your logic, all men can beat all women in every test of strength and endurance. So, can you beat the women's 100m dash world champion? Can you out press a women Olympic weightlifter? I would like to hear your answers.

Your logic is flawed, Piece of Cake. It's average to average that must be compared, on the basis of large numbers (to quote someone else's previous post): I'll stick to hockey again here: The Women's national team is certainly composed of top female athletes. They constantly train, they have training in cardio, endurance, strength, including upper body, train in skills for hockey etc. They are world level athlete. Yet, the woman hockey level of play is that of a top Midget level, and just about none of those players can match Canadian Hockey League level of junior hockey.

That's your average to look at: On an individual basis, a highly trained woman will beat the untrained man in her sport, but trained athlete for  trained athlete, or untrained woman to untrained man, there is no match on average - and you know it.

There is nothing wrong in admitting for instance, that it is quite possible, even probable, that if we conducted widespread evaluations, we would find that perhaps 35- to 40 % of men only can hack the physical demands of soldiering, while only 10 to 15 % of women can.

Remius said:
Sorry HB but a larger pool isn't irrelevant at all to the discussion.  The larger the pool, the better your odds of getting the best.

I'm not sure you understand the point being made about attracting more women.  It does not matter if all jobs are available to women. If you don't make those jobs or careers attractive they won't apply in any real number meaning you are limiting your talent pool.  A talent pool someone else will exploit. 

The same applies to men.  If you don't make the jobs attractive they won't apply.

Like it or not women are on the rise in terms of education and training.  More women are becoming doctors, lawyers, accountants, finance professionals, etc etc etc.  even the trades world is looking to women to fill lacking positions.  50% of the country's population.  If people are our most important commodity then we should be going after the best and brightest regardless of gender but if you can't prove to one gender or the other why they should come work for you then you've already lost regardless of "all jobs are open to women".

I understand what you are trying to say; however, as I've stated there is nothing stopping anyone from joining any trade in the CAF as long as they are physically capable and mentally suitable (according to the CFAT).  So the idea that we aren't capturing this huge pool of recruits is flawed because the service is open to anyone who wants it.  How do you make the Infantry attractive for someone?  How do you make being a sonar operator attractive?  The answer is, you don't.  I would argue that the appeal of something is largely dependent on psychological developments that occurred long before someone joined the military. 

The only way to get more women, minorities, etc in to an organization is to fundamentally change the perception people within a society have of an occupation.  The reason many women don't go in to the military is the same reason many women don't pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) fields or many men don't become Nurses or Teachers. It has to do with psychology and a variety of different factors/variables that play a hand in developmental psychology.  There is no way for the CAF to change this unless we find a way to quietly insert ourselves in to every Elementary School Curriculum in this country and convince all the kids that being in the military is really cool. 

The idea that men and woman are different isn't a popular viewpoint in Canada in 2018 but that doesn't make the point any less valid.  The Deschamps Report brought up a bunch of interesting points and while I agree with some of it, namely the points about cleaning up behaviour in the CAF, some of it is political BS. 

Namely this one: "Females are under-represented in the Senior Leadership in the CAF"

My Point:  Of course they are, there are very few females that actually serve in the Operator/Combat Trades (Infantry, Armour, MARS, Pilot).  You know, the trades that produce most of the General Officers in the CAF and the ones that are slated for the highest command?  Convince more women that they want to be Infantry or Armour and you will have more become Senior Leaders.

dapaterson said:
So what have you done to make the CAF an organization you would let your daughter join?

I think we need to have an honest conversation about what the military is, the military isn't some higher calling/sacred organization of values, it's the Government's very own licensed machine of violence.  A female wants to join the infantry?  Awesome! I would love to have a platoon of Xena Warrior Princesses running around with SAWs and Grenades, but the business at its most extreme is "Closing with and destroying the enemy". 

Find me a bunch of women ready to do that and lets sign them up!  Stop trying to convince them of what it is and isn't because the actual job doesn't change. 

Remius said:
And that goes to the point when someone says we need to or should take a feminist approach to the CAF.  What are the key things that are discouraging women from joining?  Likely you will see that if you address those issues you might actually have a better product and make the CAF a more attractive employer as a whole to men and women.

Feminism is still defined as the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.  Women have the same rights as men in the CAF. Same pay, same opportunities to deploy and be promoted, able to access all trades. 
Suggesting better family care as a means to attract women isn't equality or feminism. It's bordering on insulting to single dads and stay at home dads. Our current deployments see more and more fathers at home with the kids and the mothers deployed. The government is misusing the word.

Increasing the number of female recruits we attract is great but looking at the current trend we'll need to increase the space/instructors for warrior platoon/s. That's not me being misogynist, it's numbers. If 12 out of 15 on a course fail the  1st FORCE test and sent to warrior then how many out of a course of 45 will fail? The CAF better be prepared to accommodate that.

To get (all) our numbers up faster we could always:

1-do away with PT testing all together and make the FORCE test a unit problem.
2.make the FORCE test easier
3-run the FORCE test at the end of basic training as a pass/fail in order to give recruits more time to train
4-have PSP run a pre-basic training month or two long indoc course.

Also:
better subsidized daycare
more choice over postings
more chances at operational deployments and small unit exchanges.
modern and updated small arms, equipment, armor and vehicles
stuff like that

The government says we're taking a more feminist approach to the military yet our military lawyers say the government does not “owe a private law duty of care to individual members within the CAF to provide a safe and harassment-free work environment, or to create policies to prevent sexual harassment or sexual assault.”

Now in legal speak that probably somewhere somehow makes perfect legal sense. Optics for women interested in the CAF? Probably not so good.  I'm glad the PM spoke up about it right away, I just hope he follows up.

dapaterson said:
So what have you done to make the CAF an organization you would let your daughter join?

Treat all women in the CF with equality and fairness and don't give them any special treatment because of their gender. This can be good or bad - I've seen it enough where a female gets promoted over an equally or, in some cases, higher ranked man, because of gender. Ever hear of females going on 9 month parental and coming back with an amazing PER or a promotion? I have.

On a similar issue, I'm glad that OP Honour came out, because I wasn't too sure before on the CF's policy on sexual harassment and assault. Before OP Honour I was under the assumption I could go around and sexually assault and harass the opposite sex without repercussion. I'm glad our leadership has addressed this misconception.  :facepalm: The CF is still such an old boys club.

Jarnhamar said:
Feminism is still defined as the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.  Women have the same rights as men in the CAF. Same pay, same opportunities to deploy and be promoted, able to access all trades. 
Suggesting better family care as a means to attract women isn't equality or feminism. It's bordering on insulting to single dads and stay at home dads. Our current deployments see more and more fathers at home with the kids and the mothers deployed. The government is misusing the word.

Increasing the number of female recruits we attract is great but looking at the current trend we'll need to increase the space/instructors for warrior platoon/s. That's not me being misogynist, it's numbers. If 12 out of 15 on a course fail the  1st FORCE test and sent to warrior then how many out of a course of 45 will fail? The CAF better be prepared to accommodate that.

To get (all) our numbers up faster we could always:

1-do away with PT testing all together and make the FORCE test a unit problem.
2.make the FORCE test easier
3-run the FORCE test at the end of basic training as a pass/fail in order to give recruits more time to train
4-have PSP run a pre-basic training month or two long indoc course.

Also:
better subsidized daycare
more choice over postings
more chances at operational deployments and small unit exchanges.
modern and updated small arms, equipment, armor and vehicles
stuff like that

The government says we're taking a more feminist approach to the military yet our military lawyers say the government does not “owe a private law duty of care to individual members within the CAF to provide a safe and harassment-free work environment, or to create policies to prevent sexual harassment or sexual assault.”

Now in legal speak that probably somewhere somehow makes perfect legal sense. Optics for women interested in the CAF? Probably not so good.  I'm glad the PM spoke up about it right away, I just hope he follows up.

Ok, I'll address a few of those.

1) You would not have Pata leave without mata.  That was women's advocacy that lead to better overall policy.  If women don't want to join for fear of reduced family quality of life and this is something that is addressed how is that a bad thing? men can stop being insulted because they'll be getting the same treatment. let's stop with the discrimination against men argument.  Nobody suggested that.

2) Do you have any actual stats to back up what you say about failure rates for PT/Force while on basic.  Anecdotal evidence isn't the best proof.  And are those stats calculated by proportion?  Not trying to be snarky but I would be curious to know what the actual failure rate is by gender.

Taking a feminist approach is more than just equality or whatever limiting definition we want to use.  As I mentioned before it is a much broader definition.

Again, we have to look at this from outside the little bubbles we've created. 

Humphrey Bogart said:
I understand what you are trying to say; however, as I've stated there is nothing stopping anyone from joining any trade in the CAF as long as they are physically capable and mentally suitable (according to the CFAT).  So the idea that we aren't capturing this huge pool of recruits is flawed because the service is open to anyone who wants it.  How do you make the Infantry attractive for someone? How do you make being a sonar operator attractive?  The answer is, you don't.  I would argue that the appeal of something is largely dependent on psychological developments that occurred long before someone joined the military. 

That right there is passive thinking.  That doesn't work in recruiting and especially not in Canada.  You need to convince people to join and show them why we should be an employer of choice.  if all you do is appeal to 50% of your population you've already lost.  It isn't just about making something more attractive. It's going after the right people and showing them.  It's about finding the right people.  A sit and wait approach is a recipe for failure.

Do you know why aboriginal recruiting is so important?  Yeah, there's the whole diversity thing and first nations inclusivity etc etc.  But they are the fastest growing population in Canada.  With more people under the age of 30 proportionately than any other group. So do we wait for them or do we go get them?

Remius said:
That right there is passive thinking.  That doesn't work in recruiting and especially not in Canada.  You need to convince people to join and show them why we should be an employer of choice.  if all you do is appeal to 50% of your population you've already lost.  It isn't just about making something more attractive. It's going after the right people and showing them.  It's about finding the right people.  A sit and wait approach is a recipe for failure.

Do you know why aboriginal recruiting is so important?  Yeah, there's the whole diversity thing and first nations inclusivity etc etc.  But they are the fastest growing population in Canada.  With more people under the age of 30 proportionately than any other group. So do we wait for them or do we go get them?

I was hoping you would bring this up  8)

The Canadian Armed Forces has shrunk exponentially since a Cold War Height of roughly 120,000 in the 1960s.  Meanwhile, the population has grown exponentially since then.

CAF in 1960 = 120,000
Population of Canada = 17.91 million
0.006 soldiers per citizen

CAF in 1989 = 84,000
Population of Canada = 27.38 million
0.003 soldiers per citizen

CAF in 2016 = 68,000
Population of Canada = 36.29 million
0.001 soldiers per citizen

So, the population of Canada is over 2x larger in 2016; however, the size of the military is almost 2x smaller.  Given this very simple fact, it would seem that we should have no problem meeting our recruitment targets; however, we know that this isn't the case, so what gives?  Is it that our pool of suitable recruits is growing smaller?  Or is it that we waste most of our actual recruitment and retention initiatives catering to special interests groups and small but vocal minorities that aren't likely to ever considering serving anyways?

You know the only service in the US military that never has any trouble recruiting is the Marines, wonder why?  It's because they sell guns, blowing stuff up and challenge, same with other organizations like the French Foreign Legion who get upwards of 10,000+ applicants a year but only have an intake of approximately 700-800. 

Humphrey Bogart said:
You know the only service in the US military that never has any trouble recruiting is the Marines, wonder why?

Because there are enough people out there that want a legal means to kill people.

Remius said:

1) You would not have Pata leave without mata.  That was women's advocacy that lead to better overall policy.  If women don't want to join for fear of reduced family quality of life and this is something that is addressed how is that a bad thing? men can stop being insulted because they'll be getting the same treatment. let's stop with the discrimination against men argument.  Nobody suggested that.

ok know not adding to the overall line but can we still be insulted that we are not getting the same treatment?  Men pata - 9 months, women mata/pata - 12 months.  Subject to change in the future once TB/DND/CAF catches up to the new government policy.  Why not one policy with one period length regardless of male/female.  I and my wife certainly would not have minded me having the extra 3 months.

CountDC said:
ok know not adding to the overall line but can we still be insulted that we are not getting the same treatment?  Men pata - 9 months, women mata/pata - 12 months.  Subject to change in the future once TB/DND/CAF catches up to the new government policy.  Why not one policy with one period length regardless of male/female.  I and my wife certainly would not have minded me having the extra 3 months.

Sounds like we should be taking a meninist approach to the forces. I'd like to fight for equal benefits and rights in the forces.

Humphrey Bogart said:
So, the population of Canada is over 2x larger in 2016; however, the size of the military is almost 2x smaller.  Given this very simple fact, it would seem that we should have no problem meeting our recruitment targets; however, we know that this isn't the case, so what gives?  Is it that our pool of suitable recruits is growing smaller?  Or is it that we waste most of our actual recruitment and retention initiatives catering to special interests groups and small but vocal minorities that aren't likely to ever considering serving anyways?

You know the only service in the US military that never has any trouble recruiting is the Marines, wonder why?  It's because they sell guns, blowing stuff up and challenge, same with other organizations like the French Foreign Legion who get upwards of 10,000+ applicants a year but only have an intake of approximately 700-800.

I'm glad you brought this up as well.  here's the thing:

The pool of people we used to count on to fill the ranks are shrinking.  White, male and less educated (I don't mean that in a bad way).  That group isn't joining or are more and more unable to.  We've been slow at convincing other non traditional sources to join.  it isn't catering to special interest groups as you say.  It is targeted recruiting. It's necessity.  I'd love to think this is just about touchy feely stuff but it isn't, it's about need.

The marines are facing  similar recruiting issues so yes they are having a hard time reaching targets. 

Here is an article from 2016 showing the downward trend for the U.S military as a whole across all services.

https://taskandpurpose.com/the-military-could-soon-face-increased-recruiting-challenges/

Here is another one about the Marine Corps trying to be more appealing to women and millenials...

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/2017/03/18/new-recruitment-ads-stress-marines-as-good-citizens/

And here is an interesting take on changing how they recruit women.

https://taskandpurpose.com/recruiting-women-marine-corps-half-solution/

Also note that the marines have cut their force by 20 000 people, meeting lower targets is always easier.  The big problem the Marines have right now is 1st term re-enlistments which are on the decline.

The marines have had issues meeting their goals before so the rah rah shoot stuff doesn't work anymore.

Your FFL example is not even comparable for so many reasons.

Smarter flexible recruiting, training and attraction.  Satus quo does not cut it.

[quote author=Remius]

1) You would not have Pata leave without mat. Etc...  [/QUOTE]
If CountDC's right then I guess we don't have equal rights after all?
I still can't agree a feminist approach to the military is going to be beneficial, whatever the government thinks a feminist approach is. Maybe the government needs to explain what exactly a feminist approach is since the definition is so ambiguous. 
If I'm wrong I'll own it.

2) Do you have any actual stats to back up what you say about failure rates for PT/Force while on basic.
In fairness nope. I don't. And no worries I know you're not being snarky (hoping I don't come across that way either). 
I only have anecdotal evidence from recruits and instructors about pass/fail rates.
Its a charged subject for sure. Speaking of which I know someone who was almost charged then dealt administrative measures for voiceing pretty much the same thing as HB over Facebook. It can be a dangerous subject to give your personal opinion on. 

Never the less maybe we should do some digging and see if the CAF keeps track of failure rates for curiosity sake.?Again if I'm in the wrong I'll happily own up.

Jarnhamar said:
Maybe the government needs to explain what exactly a feminist approach is since the definition is so ambiguous.
I doubt if even the politicians mouthing such platitudes have a clue what they're talking about;  it's enough that "a feminist approach" is such a progressive, kumbaya-sounding buzzword.

Politicians speaking with precise clarity would have too much difficulty dodging tough questions and being accountable to their constituents.

Say, wasn't the MND supposed to be replaced last year?  Oh right, he only needed Marc Garneau to prop him up for a few public appearances, knowing that the political Alzheimer's would smooth everything over during Parliamentary recess;  after all, it's only the "Defence" portfolio.
      :not-again:

CountDC said:

Treatment is equal.  The moment you pass a child through your vagina (or have it ripped untimely from your womb) you'll get the additional three months.

Right now, your request is the equivalent of a cis-gendered woman complaining that she's not entitled to a prostate exam.

Jarnhammer and Humphrey and others...

There isn’t much more I can add but I do appreciate the tone that’s been maintained here on all sides.  You are correct it is indeed a charged subject.

One thing though is I do agree that the government has not explained it very well if at all.

Quirky said:
Ever hear of females going on 9 month parental and coming back with an amazing PER or a promotion? I have.

Maybe the person(s) you are referring to deserved the PER or promotion?

dapaterson said:
Treatment is equal.  The moment you pass a child through your vagina (or have it ripped untimely from your womb) you'll get the additional three months.

Right now, your request is the equivalent of a cis-gendered woman complaining that she's not entitled to a prostate exam.

And if I identify as a pregnant woman who just gave birth? Sounds like discrimination.

Thanks Remus, likewise for sure.

[quote author=Remius]

One thing though is I do agree that the government has not explained it very well if at all.
[/quote]

Perhaps I could offer another explanation of feminist orientated military might be?

While asking around about the FORCE test I'm told there is an experiment going on.
An all female course ran by an all female staff and male staff are not allowed to speak to them.

Jarnhamar said:
Thanks Remus, likewise for sure.

Perhaps I could offer another explanation of feminist orientated military might be?

While asking around about the FORCE test I'm told there is an experiment going on.
An all female course ran by an all female staff and male staff are not allowed to speak to them.

Will that be like the MP QL 5 where MPs run the crse and no one else is allowed to speak to them?    ;D

Back