• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

We Have Met the Enemy and He Is PowerPoint

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I am putting this article under Cdn military because it applies to us as well as the US.
A number of regulars on here have recently voiced their thoughts on the value of PowerPoint at the staff level.  >:D

April 26, 2010
We Have Met the Enemy and He Is PowerPoint
By ELISABETH BUMILLER
WASHINGTON — Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the leader of American and NATO forces in Afghanistan, was shown a PowerPoint slide in Kabul last summer that was meant to portray the complexity of American military strategy, but looked more like a bowl of spaghetti.

“When we understand that slide, we’ll have won the war,” General McChrystal dryly remarked, one of his advisers recalled, as the room erupted in laughter.

The slide has since bounced around the Internet as an example of a military tool that has spun out of control. Like an insurgency, PowerPoint has crept into the daily lives of military commanders and reached the level of near obsession. The amount of time expended on PowerPoint, the Microsoft presentation program of computer-generated charts, graphs and bullet points, has made it a running joke in the Pentagon and in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“PowerPoint makes us stupid,” Gen. James N. Mattis of the Marine Corps, the Joint Forces commander, said this month at a military conference in North Carolina. (He spoke without PowerPoint.) Brig. Gen. H. R. McMaster, who banned PowerPoint presentations when he led the successful effort to secure the northern Iraqi city of Tal Afar in 2005, followed up at the same conference by likening PowerPoint to an internal threat.

More at LINK

I read that last night via the Small Wars Journal website (www.smallwarsjournal.com).  It's somewhat of a continuation of an article published in the Armed Forces Journal which was titled 'Dumb Dumb Bullets'
http://www.afji.com/2009/07/4061641

It's ironic in that with all the emphasis put on 'Military Transformation' over the last 20 years, we've (NATO and ANZAC militaries)seen our field forces decrease, but our HQ staff numbers have continued to bloat upwards.

Any tool that isnt used properly will get trashed as useless.  Theyve been having problems with how to use it properly for the last 10 years.  We had our own problems with it as well, but never as bad as some US versions I'd seen...

In the mid 1990s I was in LFAA HQ, and the COS would cut off any staff briefer in front of the General that hit their third slide (or their third minute of talking) without having clearly made their point.

I remember on my PLQ a few years back we were instructed to prepare a lesson using powerpoint.  I of course, being a slight tech nerd completely tricked out my presentation with bells and whistles (in some cases, literally.. swoopingin from left to right, etc..) \.

Looking back, I can't believe they let me get away with it.. what a waste of time!

Michael O'Leary said:
In the mid 1990s I was in LFAA HQ, and the COS would cut off any staff briefer in front of the General that hit their third slide (or their third minute of talking) without having clearly made their point.

I was there in the early 90's and the G6 IS got that a few times.

Personally, I prefer the Keynote program for Mac's over Powerpoint for PC's.

Regardless,

Michael O'Leary said:

makes complete sense. I think this is especially clear when a presenter does not know the information he is displaying, and has to turn his back to the audience, or read off of the monitor.

It's funny on how a long distance training can be based on power point too. "Okay your going to the sandbox, upload this powerpoint lesson, and study it. At the end, there are questions for you." The hands on training is basically ELOC training.

Gee, thanks for the powerpoint, now I know what to do in case of a contact.  ;D

Bzzliteyr said:
I remember on my PLQ a few years back we were instructed to prepare a lesson using powerpoint.  I of course, being a slight tech nerd completely tricked out my presentation with bells and whistles (in some cases, literally.. swoopingin from left to right, etc..) \.

Looking back, I can't believe they let me get away with it.. what a waste of time!

I've watched a presentation made where the presenter merely walked to the podium, pressed the "Start presentation" button, and walked away.  Completely scripted, timed, animated, and set to music and narration.

I remember on  my JLC we had to draw our slides on a piece of plastic with overhead markers.

Shadow said:
I remember on  my JLC we had to draw our slides on a piece of plastic with overhead markers.

You know you're past you're expiry date when.......    ;)

Yeah, I remember overheads.  What a pain in the butt!

PMedMoe said:
You know you're past you're expiry date when.......    ;)

Yeah, I remember overheads.  What a pain in the butt!

I wont bother you with the stories, but there was training before the overhead projector ... flip boards and the epidiascope have a familiar ring to them.

Epidiascope.jpg

Mr. Campbell, is that anything like a Magic Lantern?  ;)

MagicLantern.jpg

There are some members of Army.ca that had to do it on stone tablets!!

Google Edward Tufte for more on the problems with mis-employment of Powerpoint.

We are now at the point where no briefing material other than a slide deck is prepared - that is, the service paper or toher `source`for the briefing no longer exists - only a slide deck of bullet points.  It is to weep...

E.R. Campbell said:
I wont bother you with the stories, but there was training before the overhead projector ... flip boards and the epidiascope have a familiar ring to them.

Epidiascope.jpg

Egads!  It's the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator!  ;D

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

Bzzliteyr said:
...being a slight tech nerd completely tricked out my presentation with bells and whistles (in some cases, literally.. swoopingin from left to right, etc..)...

... a common error...

Michael O'Leary said:

The standard length for a General-level presentation is max five minutes, and may cover up to three or even four different deployment or incident updates.  You better have made at least one point by the end of the first minute.

Back