• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weapons Engineering Technician

Glad I could help.

W Eng Tech is not IT related - at one point I was actually trained as a Dell Certified computer tech by the RCN, as well as getting some of my MCSE courses and Novel netware admin and such - but when I left that posting and went back to a ship, I was not permitted to use that training anymore - that role (desktop and laptop IT support) fell to the NavComm world, and they are very protective of it.

The NE Tech trades (precursors to the W Eng Tech) used to have a Fiber Optic Repair, a PC Maintenance and Repair, and a Network Technologies courses and a training section with dedicated hardware at CFNES, but those courses were cancelled over a decade ago because it was deemed 'Cadillac' training. As well, the feeling amongst some of the trade leadership was that the troops joining often had the aptitude and skillset anyhow, so there was no need to train them formally. I may have vociferously disagreed, and will observe that the action of "Proving a CPO2 Wrong" has consequences.

It's even more fun when the direct outcome is, when in the Senior Instructor Role at CFNES 5 years after that time, to pull out that email chain in answer to a formal question from a director at DMSS about naval networks and programming routers...and ccing that (now) CPO1 who shut the training down on the response.

Good times....I still have those email chains saved.

On the other hand, I'm also no longer a W Eng Tech, so it's not directly my concern anymore.

Good luck with whichever trade you do select!

NS

As far as I know, with the amalgamation of the schools, they were supposed to be able to do video-conferencing for classes, so you could have your classes on both coasts. As far as I am aware, right now, they are still pushing through the QL3 courses here in Halifax, and when you get to your QL5 level, you can do the academic portion on either coast, but you may have to come from BC to Halifax for certain equipment phases.

Case in point: When I did my QL5s for Comms, I had some folks from the west coast join me for about 4-6 weeks for SHINCOM, CCMS, and HFTX/HFRX because they didn't have a trainer set up out west. They may have something set up now, as my 5s were a couple of years ago, but I know they try not to move the 5s guys around too much. I think it might be the whole "Mission First, People Always" thingy they got going on.
Very Helpfull information. Thank you:)

Back