• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WEAPONS TECHNICIAN - LAND

To answer some questions real quick. Reservist and Reg course are the same exept that Reservists dont touch heavy equipement. The bigger they do is .50cal. You will have a chance to touch the MP5 as it is in the system but very quickly. If you on a lucky couse you might shoot it but not all couses do. If your course starts within the next couple of weeks, you will have a chance to study the new C-14 Timberwolf sniper rifle. It's a nice course and trade, not as glamourous as many thinks. You will most likely never proof fire a weapon after you fix it and you wont get to modify anything. Try it out it's worth it. I've recently been posted to weapons school in borden so i'll be able to give more info in a near future. For failure rate, it's prety low. Instructors motivate the students to study and practice untill comfortable with the weapon in question.

See you at school  !!! :cdn:

Hopefully I'll see you in Sept for the LG 1 course or in Jan for the leopard course.

cheers

domparadis said:
Reservist and Reg course are the same exept that Reservists dont touch heavy equipement. The bigger they do is .50cal. See you at school  !!! :cdn:

Back in my Militia days, we did beyond the Browning .50, the 84mm Carl G, 81mm mortar, 106 R/R (w/.50 spotter), and the C1 105mm gun/how. Started off with the Colt P/P revolver in .22 thru to the C1 GPMG, ya it was once a C1 before it was a C5. All as a generic R421.

I guess things have changed.

However, I am sure Militia gen get on courses required for wpns bigger than 12.7mm.

Cheers,

Wes

They still work on the 84mm and 81mm but i still consider the .50 cal being a bigger gun due to it's weight and bulkyness. By heavy equipment i ment that the reservists dont see the LAV3 (25mm), the grizzly or the Howitzer. They also exclude from their course elctricity and hydraulics. The rest is basicaly the same.

Later

So no Militia can take courses on the M242 or artillery?

That does not make sense.

Wes

Any thoughts on ammo tech. vs weapons tech. as a trade would be appreciated.

Thanks

agnes said:
Any thoughts on ammo tech. vs weapons tech. as a trade would be appreciated.

Lots of info:

Trades FAQ - links to threads on trades without their own forums: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17703.0.html

Canadian Forces Recruiting Website Trade Profiles:

Weapons Tech: http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=421
Ammo Tech: http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=921

Lots to read before asking such a broad question.

The search box is your friend.

Regards,

Eric

Edit: PS: If you're looking for a "compare and contrast" of the two trades, (they're completely different) all the info you require should be in the links above.

Thanks, I have been on the CF sight and know the basics. I was hoping to hear from someone who had had first hand experience with one or the other.

Ammo Tech is a OT trade(ie you get time an quals in another trade than remuster into it), so if you are looking to join the CF you'd have to go Weapons Tech or another trade first.

AT is no longer an OT trades, that changed recently.
Other than the fact that one works with weapons and one works with ammo the main difference is that with AT you will be alot more involved with the supply side of things.

Can't talk gotta go fix my rifle...

agnes said:
Thanks, I have been on the CF sight and know the basics. I was hoping to hear from someone who had had first hand experience with one or the other.

Weigh up what is more useful once you're back out on Civvy Street.

Personally with DG, and other unique/special quals, AT would be the way to go.

Uses for an armourer after discharge are rather limited in Canada, and I am one, so I am not bagging the trade. Todays armourers are not really gunsmiths, but more of a technician utilizing fault finding, and doing an assembly change. Small arms wise, outide the Unit level, rebuilds etc are done by civvy contractors or FTR's at Colt Canada.

All those places are in eastern Canada, with the exception of the RCMP Armoury in Regina. Regional police in Canada usually utilise uniformed members as armourers, but there might be the odd exception.

AT and its quals will open you to more challenging things nationwide.

Good luck.

Wes

Thanks for the info. people. I am leaning towards AT and yes, one may apply directly from civilian life. CF hasn't updated their website yet. Anyhow, my application is in and I got the call for test, interview and medical. Problem is this; all the research that I have done here  and elsewhere leads me to believe that my peanut allergy will end up showing me the door. Never thought. No one will give me a straight answer but it does not look good. Thanks again. Not sure what I am going to do feels like a waste of time to eveen bother with the first step if I know the peanut allergy will get me in the end.

agnes said:
Problem is this; all the research that I have done here  and elsewhere leads me to believe that my peanut allergy will end up showing me the door.

The people who decide that are the medical types. You'll need to have your med info from your civvy doctor in some coherent format. (Recruiters on the board can confirm this)

How severe is your allergy? Mild irritation, debilitating pain, full-blown anaphylaxis? My wife has a laundry list of food allergies, ranging from the innocuous to the potentially fatal.

They might not block you if all you get is a mild rash. Everything I've read says they WILL flag you if you're in danger of collapsing because buddy across the room is eating a PB&J...  :(

Recce, thanks for telling what you know. I found some allergy threads on here and learned a bit all of which is not good. Called the CF recruiter and I'll have to wait to get turned down until I get to the medical. We'll see...guess I'm going back to school.

Would that be Land Weapon Tech or Naval Weapon Tech?  If you are thinking NW Tech I can help you, as it is my current trade...One of the best NCM trade in the Navy...

gunner065 said:
If you are thinking NW Tech I can help you, as it is my current trade...One of the best NCM trade in the Navy...

Just a couple (well... several...) questions that I've always been meaning to ask a NW Tech:

The CF put you up in university for four years for this trade, right?

- Whats it like being "a bunch of military guys" living/learning amongst the [civillian] university populace for that amount of time?
- Are you guys just supposed to assimilate into the student body?
- Do some of the members find it hard to stay on track in this environment?
- Any mil/civ conflict caused by self-proclaimed "enlightened" individuals?
- Whats your staff/CoC structure like? (for the duration of the university phase)
- What is the staff presence/oversight like during the semesters?
- What university was it that this course it taught out of? (i've been told before, i'm sure its on the East Coast somewhere....)
- Direct entry trade or remuster only?

Thanks,

Eric

First off, who ever told you that the level of education required for the trade is university level was not accurate.  The basic education requirement is technician level (preferably in some type of instrumentation/mechanical engineering field of study).  Personally, I went through the NCSTTP route, where I basically spent two years in a community college (Cegep, for Francophones; and Marine Institute, for Anglophones).  On completion of such course you will either get posted to CFB Halifax (CFNES) or CFB Esquimalt (CFFS(E)) to go onto common equipment courses followed by specific ship's class courses.
    While I was in Cegep, you lived and studied among "civilians", we had to wear our uniforms to school, had ongoing drill classes and the like, but it surely was a great life experience.  The courses given at those institution are tailored to whatever the military specified the technicians "should" be able to perform after a two years period of studies.  Therefore, you might have civies in your classes, you might not.  All depends which one have been tailored specifically just for the military crowd.
    Conflicts are bound to happen, but if you are the "relaxed" type and you are there to focus on studying, you won't have to worry about such problems.
    The support staff was composed of 1 PO1 NW Tech (taking care of the NWT's and NET(T)'s); 1 PO1 Stoker (Take care of Marine Engineers NCM); 1 LS (support admin); and 1LT(N) (detachment commander).
    As long as you kept your head above the water, you did fine.  As with any CF entry program, if you fail academics, then, the CF will give you a chance.  If you fail intentionally, then you are on your own.  Staff were there to ensure that we stayed within certain boundaries, but if you had your S... together, then no problems.
    The course is currently given at Memorial University of Newfoundland in association with the Marine Institute.  Don't get fouled tough, although studying at a university, the courses you would be doing are of the technician/technologist's level, not university...
    NW Tech is a direct entry (from civi street) or can be entered through competition-based program for in-service members.  If you are thinking of going the civi street way, I would look into subsidized education program for Naval Techs.  That's the way I came in 12 years or so ago, and I think it was the best choice I could have made at that time.
    Hope that helped you out, if you have more questions, feel free to ask, send me a private email even...

agnes,
In case it makes a difference Weapons Tech Land is full now and likely won't reopen until April. Ammo Tech is still looking for people so your chance of an early offer is improved. Good Luck and keep us updated, 

Agnes
Lots of info on Ammo Techs by going to the thread titled"Anyone here an Ammo Tech" at http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/1401.0.html.
A while back, I updated what ammo techs do for a living, what training they go through, who's eligible...
Let me know should you want more.
Cheers

GuyFoxy said:
Hi, I started my military life as 421 but remustered to Ammo Tech. I was teaching at the school a few years back.  :)Mr. Nitray has retired. Don't know where he is now? :)

Do you like the ammo tech trade better? I've been QL5 weapons tech qualified for about 6 months now and I'm thinking of changing trades.

Back