• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WEAPONS TECHNICIAN - LAND

Both can happen depending on posting, you will learn about lines of maintenance, first line units go out to the field with the combat arms, second line may go out to the filed but most of your work will be on base. On deployment you can see action as well, one of my instructors spent a bit of a tour in Afghanistan in a Leopard tank with the QRF.

In a Leo on QRF??? That I doubt, he would have to be a qualified 105/120mm gunner in order to be there. In his TLAV as part of the QRF is more factual, I've been there and done it with my TLAV.

Tango18A said:
In a Leo on QRF??? That I doubt, he would have to be a qualified 105/120mm gunner in order to be there. In his TLAV as part of the QRF is more factual, I've been there and done it with my TLAV.

Being that he just spent 4 years with the armoured, I get the feeling he knew how without being qualified and did not question it

Well I've been at the Regt for 8, and never did I hear of one of my techs being given the ability to go on Ops in a crewman posn. If something goes wrong the CC and approving CoC is going to be hanging in the wind. The Armoured Corps takes their gunnery quals seriously

Just to throw my less experienced and informed  :2c:

Reading berub's post a little closer, by "seeing some action" he is looking to take the fight directly to the enemy, a la the Infantry. He does indicate that his first choice of trade was Infantry, and subsequently chose Weapons Tech because Infantry was closed. Judging from his questions, he is asking if he may get some direct combat experience.

Your desire to want to get combat experience is commendable, but unlikely to be fulfilled for two reasons:

First, As a combat support trade you will most likely be deployed either on base or in a static support location, and won't be out patrolling. If you are put on a mobile repair team you would be sent out to do repairs in the field, but wouldn't be deployed while shooting is still going on.

Second and more importantly, is you should be aware, Canada's combat mission in Afghanistan is winding down and will be done by the time you are qualified as a weapons tech. So no, you won't be seeing action anytime soon.

However don't let that discourage you from the path you have chosen. You will go into the field. You will train and apply your trade on field exercises. You will get to work on the various weapons and equipment used in the CF. And you can have a good time doing it. It will be what you make of it. 

Tango18A said:
Well I've been at the Regt for 8, and never did I hear of one of my techs being given the ability to go on Ops in a crewman posn. If something goes wrong the CC and approving CoC is going to be hanging in the wind. The Armoured Corps takes their gunnery quals seriously

Was the ARV part of the QRF and do Wpns Techs get qualified on the ARV.  It is after all a Leopard tank, just not a gun tank.

AmmoTech90 said:
Was the ARV part of the QRF and do Wpns Techs get qualified on the ARV.  It is after all a Leopard tank, just not a gun tank.

Depending on the unit, the Dvr of the ARV will be a Crewman or a Veh Tech.  The CC is usually a Veh Tech.

I was the ARV CC for my pre-deployment trg, and I do know of a Wpns Tech that CC'd the ARV on Ops. The ARV always tends to roll with the QFR, just in case breaching or recovery is required

Tango18A said:
I was the ARV CC for my pre-deployment trg, and I do know of a Wpns Tech that CC'd the ARV on Ops. The ARV always tends to roll with the QFR, just in case breaching or recovery is required

Mystery solved!

George Wallace said:
Not really....He isn't a Wpn Tech.  ;D

Controversy started with T18A's response to Mileme saying one his instructors deployed with the QRF in a Leopard.  Mileme is a Wpns Tech (or can be assumed to be one given they are going on a C3 How main course).  From that another reasonable assumption is that the instructor is a Wpns Tech.  T18A confirms that, a. Wpns techs can crew command ARVs and b. ARVs are part of the QRF.

Therefore the controversy started by T18A saying that RCEME guy wouldn't be on a QRF Leo was settled by T18A saying:
I do know of a Wpns Tech that CC'd the ARV on Ops. The ARV always tends to roll with the QFR[sic]

The poster also stated a leopard tank, the official name of the ARV is Taurus. Big difference between the two

If I was a gun-plumber, I'd be telling people I crewed a Leo in Afghanistan too.  Much like every poser you hear about was a sniper pathfinder.  :stirpot:

;D

Tango18A said:
The poster also stated a leopard tank, the official name of the ARV is Taurus. Big difference between the two

Yes, that said I never pushed this MCpl for details, for all we know the regiment he was posted to (LdSH) could of sent him on a D/G course. He did show us how to drive the leopard that was at the weapons school, so that was convincing enough to me.

MilEME09 said:
....... He did show us how to drive the leopard that was at the weapons school, so that was convincing enough to me.

That really means nothing.  Do you know anyone who might show you how to drive a car, but has no licence to drive?

George Wallace said:
That really means nothing.  Do you know anyone who might show you how to drive a car, but has no licence to drive?

Point taken

Alright, the point has been beaten to death. Back on topic please.

---Staff---

I've been looking through previous posts however many are outdated and don't exactly give me the info I'm after. I'm a 23 year old male from Hamilton Ont and have been interested in serving my country since I was five years old and have made several attempts to apply to both reserve and regs. I applied to the reg force in December 2013 for infantry, combat engineer, or artilleryman. I wrote my CFAT in March 2014 and was told I qualified at the time for all three however I missed the current intake period and would have to wait at least three to nine months for a position to open. I recently contacted a recruiter and was told that my file was administratively closed and the standards for infantry and combat engineer were changed meaning I no longer qualify for those two but did still qualify for artilleryman and was also told I could qualify for the weapons tech land role, I have done quite a bit of research on the role and have liked what I've found so far. I'm currently employed in the residential property management/maintenance field and have experience in various trades and just have a few questions for anybody currently in the role of a weapons tech in terms of the daily life, specific skills or knowledge beneficial to have prior to training that would help me further my career should I choose to follow the weapons tech path, what are the most common items you work on from day to day, and approximately how many crew men do you work with on any given day, any reference manuals I could purchase as a civilian to help with theory lessons in training, most common work environments (i.e. mostly in a workshop or in the field?), how long does it take to be fully trained/certified as a weapons tech, and any personal opinions to give me a stronger idea of the role?

Any information would be appreciated and look forward to learning more.
Steve S.

I would also like some information on this, just replying to follow this thread.

I'm a 17 year old girl in Ontario, and I'm looking into either Weapons Tech, Medical Tech, or (bottom of the list) Cook.

It's still just a thought so I thought I should find out more from other people. I don't live close to any recruiting offices, and they confuse me so until I know more I'd like to refrain from going their and embarrassing myself. Thank you!

TJ97 said:
I would also like some information on this, just replying to follow this thread.

I'm a 17 year old girl in Ontario, and I'm looking into either Weapons Tech, Medical Tech, or (bottom of the list) Cook.

It's still just a thought so I thought I should find out more from other people. I don't live close to any recruiting offices, and they confuse me so until I know more I'd like to refrain from going their and embarrassing myself. Thank you!

Would you be "more" interested in Cook if the CF paid for you to go to College for a full year?

Cook NCM STEP (Paid Education)  -  http://www.forces.ca/en/job/cook-80#education

Back