• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing of non recognized medals in EMS

Yep an EMS uniform. We do allow for wearing of medals, I'm trying to get confirmation from a Supervisor who's currently working with the Cadet League as well. I did find this though;

"The Army Cadet Service Medal will be worn at the extreme left of all decorations and medals of the Cadet system, all in accordance with existing dress regulations of the Canadian Cadet Organization and, if/where permitted, of the Canadian Honours System."
https://www.armycadethistory.com/Trophies/medals_Longservicemedal.htm

Blackwatch09 said:
Yep an EMS uniform.

Depends on the service. And the province, as paramedicine is provincially regulated.

In Ontario alone there are about sixty paramedic services.

In Canada, if you know one paramedic service, you only know one paramedic service.

In Metro, with thousands of police officers, firefighters and paramedics all you really cared about on a call was how long they had been on the job.

You could tell that with a quick glance to their lower left sleeve and counting the number of Years of Service insignia.

One for every five years of full-time completed service with the city. You didn't get them for out of town or military service.

Pure cadet medals, like that one, aren't part of the Canadian Honours system. In that regard, it would be as applicable as someone asking to wear a Legion medal, which is why I said it will likely be a "no".

Blackwatch09 said:
, but why are Police/Fire/EMS shamed for being proud of their achievements?

I don't know. They do it differently in the US. Same job. Different country.

eg: New York City restricts their police officers, firefighters and paramedics to wearing only NYC medals, ribbons, citations etc. on their NYC uniforms.
And they get PLENTY.

ie: Non-departmental medals, ribbons etc. from the military and other agencies are not worn on NYC uniforms.

The Canadian honours system is the Canadian honour system. It includes only those honours and awards recognized by Rideau Hall, and it includes all honours and awards recognized by Rideau Hall. Most are federal, there are a few provincial medals / decorations as well.

There are 'rules' for the Canadian honours system, though they are not enforceable in and of themselves. It is proper protocol not to mix official honours with others, but again that's not inherently enforceble under any law. Now, organizations such as the military, RCMP, etc will have their regulations and orders - in both of thsoe cases they do have the strength of law. Other organizations may choose to disregard proper protocol for the Canadian honours system and allow other awards to be worn with them- Calgary Police is probably one of the best examples in that they will stack their own long service medal with the federal one, for instance.

It's generally frowned upon not to observe the proper protocol as outlined by the GG... Though the circles of those who truly care are pretty limited outside of the military/veterans community. Unless someone is deceitfully wearing honours and awards in the sense that it would offend the section of the criminal code against unlawfully wearing military decorations, an individual doing so won't run up against any law. You just might have a few facebook groups or blogs crawl up your arse over it.

Brihard said:
Calgary Police is probably one of the best examples in that they will stack their own long service medal with the federal one, for instance.

Somebody was blogging about it,

Calgary Police: "Crazy About Imaginary Medals"
http://wearingyourmedalswrong.blogspot.ca/2016/05/calgary-crazy-about-imaginary-medals.html

mariomike said:
Somebody was blogging about it,

Calgary Police: "Crazy About Imaginary Medals"
http://wearingyourmedalswrong.blogspot.ca/2016/05/calgary-crazy-about-imaginary-medals.html

(Unpopular Opinion I think?)

I ... kinda understand being a wee bit irritable about current and former GG's wearing decorations out of order or incorrectly... - as it is their sovereigns honours and awards system in the first place... but to sh!t all over some random municipal or provincial employees about the medals system they have found themselves in seems like a huge waste of energy.

To those folks, the medals aren't imaginary. They've earned their long service medals the same as if you got your 35 year watch at Safeway or Hudsons Bay Co. They represent a career of unique experiences, some dangerous, and full of service to community. Sure, they haven't been blessed by a sovereign, but I'm pretty neither have cadet medals and we cheerfully allow our youth to wear them without much squawking.

Hell, I could invent the Long and Illustrious Service to the JesseWZ Family Order of Medallion Wearing Fanatics Medal and as long as I don't breach CAF orders and policy, could happily wear it on my civilian clothing.

(LAISTTJFOMWFM for short - and comes with the aforementioned post nominal)

At the end of the day, the only people who really care about our honours system seem to be the ones within it and even then we have lots of folks complaining about receiving medals they will elect not to wear (the Diamond Jubilee for example) as if it is optional.

Edited to add: The above quoted blog seems to be indicative of a cultural attitude within the military and retired veteran communities that I can't quite put my finger on. It seems to circle around "the things we feel are important - are important - period." not realizing the only reason something has value in our community is because we have given it such. It's like yelling at a civilian walking on the grass on a base... he has no reason not to walk on the grass, no appreciation for why military members may choose to avoid doing so and exists outside that regulatory system entirely.

JesseWZ said:
(Unpopular Opinion I think?)

I ... kinda understand being a wee bit irritable about current and former GG's wearing decorations out of order or incorrectly... - as it is their sovereigns honours and awards system in the first place... but to sh!t all over some random municipal or provincial employees about the medals system they have found themselves in seems like a huge waste of energy.

To those folks, the medals aren't imaginary. They've earned their long service medals the same as if you got your 35 year watch at Safeway or Hudsons Bay Co. They represent a career of unique experiences, some dangerous, and full of service to community. Sure, they haven't been blessed by a sovereign, but I'm pretty neither have cadet medals and we cheerfully allow our youth to wear them without much squawking.

Hell, I could invent the Long and Illustrious Service to the JesseWZ Family Order of Medallion Wearing Fanatics Medal and as long as I don't breach CAF orders and policy, could happily wear it on my civilian clothing.

(LAISTTJFOMWFM for short - and comes with the aforementioned post nominal)

At the end of the day, the only people who really care about our honours system seem to be the ones within it and even then we have lots of folks complaining about receiving medals they will elect not to wear (the Diamond Jubilee for example) as if it is optional.

I sat across the table from a guy at a Mess Dinner, he was an Honorary from another unit, who had several 'Idi Amin' type decorations, including one work around his neck on a ribbon.

He apparently had them made for himself, based on his personal designs.

How he was allowed to do this, I have no idea, but it was clearly a slap in the face of CAF as a whole.

I must admit I have never understood the awarding of CD to CIC officers.  Training is not same as reg force and PRes folks nor or they to put themselves in harms way...

RomeoJuliet said:
I must admit I have never understood the awarding of CD to CIC officers.  Training is not same as reg force and PRes folks nor or they to put themselves in harms way...

Well I guess a CD is a recognition of service.  CIC are considered part of the reserves as one of the sub classes of reservists. Putting yourself in harms away and training similarities are not  a condition for eligibility for the CD. 

Remius said:
Well I guess a CD is a recognition of service.  CIC are considered part of the reserves as one of the sub classes of reservists. Putting yourself in harms away and training similarities are not  a condition for eligibility for the CD.

Agree, but when one joins the CF there is an understanding that one may , one day, be in harms way but I get your point.

RomeoJuliet said:
Agree, but when one joins the CF there is an understanding that one may , one day, be in harms way but I get your point.

You've never been stuck alone in an enclosed facility where 1000's of teenagers with gallons of fresh hormones pumping through their blood are similarly stuck...  ;)

JesseWZ said:
You've never been stuck alone in an enclosed facility where 1000's of teenagers with gallons of fresh hormones pumping through their blood are similarly stuck...  ;)

Kind of like 'Lord of the Flies meets Grease' right? ;)

JesseWZ said:

Oh if you only knew what my full time job is...Totally a SME regarding teenagers.

I was going through that guy's blog (yourewearingyourmedalswrong.com or whatever) and man is he fired up over stupid shit lol
He was bashing Alberta as the "wild west of medals", I was happy that someone beat me to posting a comment containing the link for the dress standards that states that they're wearing them appropriately.
Not to be disrespectful, but I find it funny how it's generally seen in the Military community that those popcorn medals for "showing up to do your job" are the same as a lot of CF medals that are given for those who....show up and do your job lol

Most of the literature on this matter is clear as mud at best. From what I gather, the Emergency Services Medal awarded from the Province is presented by the Governor General herself (doesn't get much better than that aside from the Queen) and is placed on the left (the far left of any other Federal medals). The Cadet medal is considered an "Unofficial" medal and goes on the right chest but CAN be included with other Canadian Honours if/where applicable or accepted.

I likely won't wear it on my day to day, but I may put it on my Honor Guard uniform for Remembrance Day as a sign of respect for what little Military experience I do have.

Thank you again for all of your advice guys!

Blackwatch09 said:
From what I gather, the Emergency Services Medal awarded from the Province is presented by the Governor General herself (doesn't get much better than that aside from the Queen) and is placed on the left (the far left of any other Federal medals).

Is this what you are referring to?
http://www.gg.ca/en/honours/canadian-honours/directory-honours/exemplary-service-medals/emergency-medical-services-exemplary-service-medal

It's from Canada, not Ontario.

General Rohmer presented ours, not the GG.

It was a nice gesture from Ottawa, and appreciated.

But, by that time ( 2005 ) I had already been on the department 33 years. Some recipients, my co-workers, had been on longer than that.

Maybe this one, Alberta Emergency Services Medal, which I'm told is something that a former Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta signed off on. This still doesn't make it part of the Canadian Honours System, notwithstanding the below from the AESM Policy Guidelines:

7. ORDER OF PRECEDENCE AND POSITIONING OF SERVICE BARS

a. The AESM may be worn in accord with the policy of the Nominating Authority. If the medal is worn on the left breast of the recipient, it must be worn in a position subordinate to any awards issued by the Crown in right of Canada.

That's the one! See what I mean though? "IF the medal is worn on the left..." etc. Like come on, make a decision on where it's supposed to friggin go lol

It’s pretty cut and dried to me actually, but stuff like that is what happens when organizations take it upon themself to try to imitate the Canadian Honours System. 

For what it’s worth, if a reservist in Alberta decided they wanted to add this to their medals and wear it with their emergency services uniform, they would require a duplicate set of medals because it isn’t authorized for wear for the CAF.

Back