• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

weighted vest for PT

Allow me to qualify that last comment.

My vests are individually made to ensure very tight quality control. A bonus ... they are Canadian made.

The vests found at those other retailers are a design that fits more like a jacket, with the bottom being near the waist of the wearer. My vest places the weight much higher on the wearer's body.

The benefit to my design is twofold. The body's natural centre of gravity is somewhere near the belly button for most people. By placing the weight as far away as possible from that centre of gravity you increase the effectiveness of the vest. Picture holding your C8 tight to your body in a low ready position. You could stay in that position all day because it is close to your body. Now hold your C8 at arms length. Your arms will become tired much quicker because the weight is further away from the pivot point. The second benefit is that the bottom of my vest is above the diaphragm. This allows for unobstructed breathing when the vest is cranked on tight during rigorous PT.

Hope this answers a few more questions.

I have a couple of these vests.

I will hand deliver within one hour of Toronto. Anything further will be shipped via Canada Post.

PM if interested

Bzzliteyr said:
Ziperhead cop, once I emptied out the litter into my bag.. I found it had the habit of sneaking out off all the holes in the fabric!!  The once I was done.. it took forever to vaccum out all the darn litter!!! Your idea is horrible!!

Then you should get clumping cat litter and add water.  Then it will weigh even more, and you will be better able to crush the lingering cats that are underfoot. 

Bzzliteyr said:
Cats in lingerie??  Where is your mind?!?!?

Unloaded it a while ago.  Now it lets me do dumb things like running up and down a grown over landfill hill with a pack loaded with cat toilet in the interest of "training".  :P

"Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most"--Author unknown.

zipperhead_cop said:
"Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most"--Author unknown.

I believe Emmanuel Goldstein in Hackers said it was Ozzy who said it. But then again, he thought the class was woodworking 101.

Well for the money to buy that you could get a membership to a gym and work out.

Even better .... use it at the gym!

It makes doing weighted chins, pushups, dips etc. much more comfortable than wearing a weight belt or ruck. It is also a lot easier to change the weights. It is also very secure for doing any type of plyometric or agility training.

I am assuming this is a joke. Why would anyone want to wear a contraption like this? Go to a dive shop if you must and buy a dive belt with weights for 20-30 bucks.  This is an injury waiting to happen.

Considering this vest is designed to do PT in I think the suggestion of a weight belt is an injury waiting to happen

missionessential said:
This vest is specifically designed for PT. Your suggestion of wearing a weight belt is seriously flawed. Placing a large amount of weight on the hips causes a lot of stress on the hips and lower back. Ask any police officer! Also by placing the weight that close to the centre of gravity, the effectiveness of the weight is also severely limited. As mentioned in a previous post, this item is not specifically designed to be worn while running. It is supposed to be used as a supplement to or replacement for weight training. It is also dangerous to do plyometrics or agility training with a barbell across ones shoulders. It is an extremely versatile piece of kit.

Southern Boy, I hope that this alleviated some of your concerns.

contact missionessential@cogeco.ca for additional info

missionessential said:
This vest is specifically designed for PT. Your suggestion of wearing a weight belt is seriously flawed. Placing a large amount of weight on the hips causes a lot of stress on the hips and lower back. Ask any police officer! Also by placing the weight that close to the centre of gravity, the effectiveness of the weight is also severely limited. As mentioned in a previous post, this item is not specifically designed to be worn while running. It is supposed to be used as a supplement to or replacement for weight training. It is also dangerous to do plyometrics or agility training with a barbell across ones shoulders. It is an extremely versatile piece of kit.

Agree with that.  If you are going to do anything with significant weight, you need to get it nice and high up.  You can't just pile crap on anywhere and go out with it. 

Thanks, that clears it up. How about running with the flack jacket on - problably too hot though.

The vest works much on the same principle as doing PT with a flak jacket on - work the muscles at a weight greater than what they are accustomed to and they will become stronger. However, the vest has two important advantages. 1. The weight is adjustable. The wearer can add and remove weight as required, and 2. the vest has much more padding and is a lot more comfortable than a flak jacket.

contact missionessential@cogeco.ca

Another benefit to the vest that I was made aware of recently. When deployed, troops wear significantly more weight that their bodies are accustomed to. The weight of the vest is pretty close to the weight of the body armour, perhaps slightly heavier. Wearing the vest prior to deployment can also help pers adapt to carrying the extra weight.

This is important to anyone who is going to deploy, but more for the reservist who is even THINKING seriously about deploying. The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed at work.

vests are $216

email at missionessential@cogeco.ca

Good job guys, way to make it nearly impossible for the poor guy to sell his weighted vest. lol. If I had the money Id buy it just because these guys doubted it so much, then Id become a macho man  :o and rub it in their face hahahahaha.

Steve     

Back