• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Well, the PM went to the 'Wild West'

Well, ordinarily I would not compliment a politician, but in Harper's case I make an exception. He did well to go there and show our troops support. Leadership is what our Government lacks most (IMHO) so to see this was very good. The other leaders...well I'll keep my thoughts to myself about them.

Gnplummer :cdn:

My Post on the Site...

No doubt it will be discarded or edited down to an inflammatory sound bite to further their cause.... but hey. i feel better now...

Some of these comments leave me disheartend, but not surprised... How lucky we as Canadians have the right to criticize and outright openly oppose our government. Perhaps some of the people on this site are not quite aware that the people of Afghanistan have not had this opportunity for Generations. Most recently they lived under a highly oppressive regime known as the Taliban. for those ladies out there reading this, you should thank God you don't live there, as if you did, you wouldn't even have access to a computer. not that it would matter since you would be illiterate anyways, since women are not allowed to become educated. The Canadians are in Afghanistan for one purpose. the same purpose that they had in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Cyprus to name a few. They are there to Bring peace and stability to a troubled region. If one were to look back they would realize that it has taken over ten years for Bosnia to become even remotely peacefull... When Canada Committed we did so for the long haul. Now is not the time to question but to support our soldiers. One Comment here made me, as a soldier stop and think though.. one reader suggested we pull out now before more of us soldiers are hurt or killed. what this reader fails to grasp is that we as soldiers joined up willingly, and in the back of all our minds is the thought that one day we may have to give up our lives to accomplish the mission. No one has forced us to join the Army. No one put a Gun to our head and forced us to go over. We Joined so we could help countries which DO operate like that. I doubt I will be able to change your minds. But at least Consider That Perspective.

I think it is great the PM stepped up to show he is committed. I'm glad that even though as some the country seems to be contempleting our mission, our leader shows the respect our finest need and deserve. Thank you MR.PM.

Good on him  :salute:

medicineman said:
Did he get a helmet and put it on right way around?

MM

LOL!

I was thinking the same thing. Seems his handlers made sure that he didn't wear any overt military kit. Still, good on him.

Ya good on him for showing up and doing the leadeship thing...well done steve-o.

As for the helmet I dont want to support the last PM but I am sure had Harper landed in Sarajavo during the war he would have had a helmet on for sure. A Stan is different no need for the helmet at the base he landed at.

Cpl Thompson said:
My Post on the Site...

No doubt it will be discarded or edited down to an inflammatory sound bite to further their cause.... but hey. i feel better now...

Some of these comments leave me disheartend, but not surprised... How lucky we as Canadians have the right to criticize and outright openly oppose our government. Perhaps some of the people on this site are not quite aware that the people of Afghanistan have not had this opportunity for Generations. Most recently they lived under a highly oppressive regime known as the Taliban. for those ladies out there reading this, you should thank God you don't live there, as if you did, you wouldn't even have access to a computer. not that it would matter since you would be illiterate anyways, since women are not allowed to become educated. The Canadians are in Afghanistan for one purpose. the same purpose that they had in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Cyprus to name a few. They are there to Bring peace and stability to a troubled region. If one were to look back they would realize that it has taken over ten years for Bosnia to become even remotely peacefull... When Canada Committed we did so for the long haul. Now is not the time to question but to support our soldiers. One Comment here made me, as a soldier stop and think though.. one reader suggested we pull out now before more of us soldiers are hurt or killed. what this reader fails to grasp is that we as soldiers joined up willingly, and in the back of all our minds is the thought that one day we may have to give up our lives to accomplish the mission. No one has forced us to join the Army. No one put a Gun to our head and forced us to go over. We Joined so we could help countries which DO operate like that. I doubt I will be able to change your minds. But at least Consider That Perspective.

That was good.  Here's mine - I think everyone here should submit a para or two just to see whose gets published.
As a reservist whose unit has sent nearly two dozen soldiers to Afghanistan with the current deployment, I support fully Mr. Harper's decision to make a public show of support for our troops. The slump our Forces were in after Unification seems to be being reversed slowly, beginning with Mr. Mulroney's government in the 1980s; even under the Liberals new procurement for weapons, equipment and even uniforms has done much to improve the ability of the Forces to do their job. Sadly, many Canadians don't know what that job is.  I don't understand the constant references to George Bush; he is the leader of our closest friend, ally and trading partner, and what happens to the US necessarily happens to us.  I say continue to fight terrorism while it is still in Asia and not here in Canada.  And be thankful we do have strong allies like the US and UK.

3rd Horseman said:
Ya good on him for showing up and doing the leadeship thing...well done steve-o.

As for the helmet I dont want to support the last PM but I am sure had Harper landed in Sarajavo during the war he would have had a helmet on for sure. A Stan is different no need for the helmet at the base he landed at.
Hey asshat you ever been to Kandahar ?

Its not exactly the Sheraton -- however due to a REAL ROE and allies that have decent kit - it is hard to get a shot in with Mortars etc at KAF -- but it does happen.

Ass hat 1 to ass hat 2 .."over" ;D just kidden but I could not help myself.
No never been to KAF or AStan...the obvious next question by me would be ever been to the Sarajevo air field during the war (not the tea party afterward).
Did not compare it to the Sheraton
As for the occasional mortar that gets through as you said....thats my point, not enough fire on the ground to get a PM to wear a helmet. That is a good thing.

Mr PM....... the DND food seems to err.... sit well on you.
(sorta chunked out  - hasn't he)

geo said:

The Press alluded to the same thing today, pretty petty really. So I guess if that's all people can find fault with, he must be doing a pretty bang up job.

recceguy said:
The Press alluded to the same thing today, pretty petty really. So I guess if that's all people can find fault with, he must be doing a pretty bang up job.

We had our shot at the fit guy.  No one was interested.

geo said:

Well, lets use that standard of measure for all of our leaders! Think how many CF positions would open up!  ;)

I for one am willing to accept a heavier PM if he does as good a job as this one has!

GO!!! said:
I for one am willing to accept a heavier PM if he does as good a job as this one has!

Uhhhh.... other than travel to Kandahar and set up his Gov't..... what has he done that's so noteworthy?

It was his first trip overseas as PM and he picked to go visit the troops, Also for such short time as he has been PM he has been supporting us, IE) not having a debate on why we are there. I think he's doing a great job!

RHFC & GO....
as I pointed out before..... he formed his Gov't and has gone into the field to be with the troops.... and appointed Michael Wilson, the father of GST as Ambasador to the US

What other thig has he done to make him "great"
Note that it isn't my intention to slag the man.... but if you say he's great, I'd like to know what he's done to earn the praise

He is showing good leadership thus far.  That said its early in his tenure so I'll watch and shoot.

CFL... I concurr that he has shown some positive signs.... I just rankle at being told that he's doing a great job when Parliament hasn't resumed & nothing has been done.... xcept some controversy over Medicare.....

- He also held firm about Canadian soveriegnty in the arctic and flat out stated so in public which made the US ambassidor back pedal a tad
- He put his foot down and said there will be no debate about the current A'stan mission (despite whining from Jackalope and 'at the time' apparent lower public support)  
- He has made it clear our border guards will finally be armed

Thats just off the top of my head.  All of those things I doubt Dithers or Jackalope would have had the nuts to do.  So far its a good start.  

geo said:
Uhhhh.... other than travel to Kandahar and set up his Gov't..... what has he done that's so noteworthy?

He was elected less than 2 months ago.  Did you have stronger expectations?  From the very beginning of the election campaign he stressed the fact that the Conservatives will support the troops 110%  He just proved it from his unprecedented trip to A'stan, as we all know.  It shows he is distinguished and superior in character.  I think the word 'great' is fitting in comparison to our other spineless political leaders.  :cdn:

Back