• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Army kit do we need that we don't have

canuck101

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any army equipment ie vehicles or weapons that we need that we don't have.

Cheers

Camelbaks.. but I think they're in production or something like that? I'm not sure.  Most people buy them anyway.

Do you mean that the CF is thinking of getting Camelbaks. It seems to be a great product to have if since we are in Afghanistan and Haiti.

canuck101 said:
I was wondering if there is any army equipment ie vehicles or weapons that we need that we don't have.

Cheers

I'm sure the Canadian Army could use a lot of things.  Most things that the USA has we could use, let's just put it that way. (I'm also sure there are a lot of things we could do without.)

Camelbaks ares available for issue for missions.  Even in Cadpat.  A picture of the Cadpat one has been posted recently in the Equipment forum.

I think the CF could certainly invest in some tolerable wet weather gear. Something that is *gasp* waterproof and reasonably breatheable similar to the British or German goretex rain gear.

Can you tell I'm in Vancouver?

It's in the works, but like everything else, we'll wait and wait and....... ;D

The CF has goretex, CADPAT wet weather gear.  It's the Army that doesn't...

The Airforce has some quite nice rain gear.

Brass magnets

The Army managed to win two world wars and fight to a tie in Korea while using enamelled water bottles; how do you justify camelbaks as a "necessity"?

Do you want the list alphabetically, or chronologically?

Where to begin. ???

We need:

-MBTs real ones and more than enough to quip one Regt.
-New and improved Anti Armour systems (fire and forget) and I said systems , Bn, Coy and Pl levels
-More LAVs again enough to equip all of our units including reserves and a stockpile for the training centres and for immediate deployment on ops (a la REFORGER POCUMUS sites), this applies to soft skinned vehicles, guns and panzers too
-New tubes for the Arty Sp and towed 155mm & 105mm
-New Air defence system(s)
- New and effective soft skinned vehicles
-Helios (tactical that bloody work, medium to heavy lift and attack)
-Sufficient small arms to outfit all troops icluding EIS training aids etc and a war reserve for spare
-Uniforms and equipment to same scale
-New PMQs
-Training centres with realistic large FIBUA/FISH whatever we call it this week sites, MILES, Simunition or whatever turns your crank
Sufficient stocks of ammo/pyro etc to run an acceptable number of FTXs (including live fire) a year for all troopies
-More troopies, lots more troopies
-Strategic air and sea lift capabilities so we can get to wherever it is we have to get to without bumming a lift off of our big brother to the south.
-Big whopping infusions of cash and a responsible adult to spend it properly
-Leaders, Senior uniformed types, civy, and elected with a pair of stones (apologies to the testicular challenged)

Hey as long as we're dreaming here, dream big. Get the last on that list and the rest is easy.

I'm liking the new NVG's for the troops..ever try chasing racoons around in the dark on fire picket at 3am...*sigh* life in army

We also fought WW I & II using horses, why are you guys whining for new LAV's?

Michael Dorosh said:
The Army managed to win two world wars and fight to a tie in Korea while using enamelled water bottles; how do you justify camelbaks as a "necessity"?

Gruending said:

Michael Dorosh said:

Because they have wheels and armour plate, mount substantial weapons, go faster than horses, don't make the mess horses do, and don't have to be fed large amounts of fodder.

Any other brilliant comments, oh so witty one?  ;)

Michael Dorosh said:
Gruending said:

Michael Dorosh said:
Because they have wheels and armour plate, mount substantial weapons, go faster than horses, don't make the mess horses do, and don't have to be fed large amounts of fodder.

Any other brilliant comments, oh so witty one?   ;)

On the downside though if your logistics train falls apart you can't cook and eat a LAV ;D

Michael Dorosh said:

By that logic, you could say that modern assault rifles, tanks, planes, helicopters (well, not OURS ;) ), CADPAT, GPS devices, and the like are not a necessity. They may not be, but it could be argued that these make a soldiers job relatively easier (not that it's anywhere near easy). Yeah, the Army used that equipment, and used it well, but it's been 50 years, advancements are made, and soldiers should use the equipment that best assists their job.

Camelbacks can hold more than a standard water bottle, can be worn on your back, in a rucksack, and have a drinking tube that can be positioned to be near the mouth for quick access (and isn't there a piece you could buy so that you can operate the drinking apeture solely using your mouth, for hands free use?).

Just like LAV's have many advancements over horses, Camelback-style water containers have many advantages over regular bottles.

Canteens are slowly going the way of the dodo as the primary water source for allot of militaries, ourselves included.   That not to say that they  we don't need them or that they don't work, but there is a better hydration system is out there for the troops.   I personally like a combo of Nalgene and Camelbak in my kit but that's just because I've seen cheap camel bak bladders break under stress.  

Camelbaks are much better than the standard canteen, because you can drink while moving, and without taking your hands off your weapon, while in a concealed position,

Hand-Free Access â “ Keep your eyes and hands focused on you mission.
Carries More Water â “ Up to 3-Liter capacity, so you don't run out.
Keeps Liquids Cool for Hours â “ Insulated reservoir compartment, so you drink more.

With the CamelBak Hydration System, you:

Protect soldier's health â “ avoiding heat illness by avoiding dehydration.
Be more effective â “ keeping soldiers alert and focused.
Maintain performance â “ dehydration can cause serious fatigue and reduced muscle endurance

Without the bulky canteen banging on their hips, it's easier for soldiers to squeeze into combat vehicles and climb through windows during urban combat. However some models of Camelbak allow you to get hung up on stuff just as easily, but so does the new TV for that matter.  

As for the guys wishing for new Night Vision and it related paraphernalia have you used the new AN/PVS-14?   The AN/PVS-14 (the monocular) is an excellent piece of kit and in combination with a AN/PAQ-4 or AN/PAQ-2, makes night operations allot easier.

Check them out here
http://www.nightoperations.com/CDN-equipment.htm

I like your list Danjanou...

Hmmm pretty sad that the average Westcoast mountain biker who btw most certanly has a camel back water system, and gortex rain gear (Also GPS etc) is better equipped for the elements then one of our Soldiers.  At one time Army stuff led the way for outdoor gear.

So the question is if you buy the stuff yourself can you use it while on duty?

Cheers!
P.

Back