• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Army kit do we need that we don't have

MJP - a real answer, thank you.

Can you use a camelbak while wearing the NBC suit, out of curiousity?

Ref Micheal's post,

Yes, and its better then the 1 qt canteen, because it doesn't "suck in" air after drinking due to decreased pressure in the canteen (physics thingy I am sure you know). This is one area where Camelbacks are miles ahead of our canteens. The 2 Qt canteen is the best option between the two when fitted with the drinking straw which of course can come fitted with an Camel back style NBC nozzle.

This is one of these great theory topics which can help keep you alert during those long night shifts.

In reality, what we "need" (not "want") is the things that make us more effective, sometimes the new or improved may not be the best. 

One case and point may be the Rucksack we have. The 64 pattern (jump ruck) is a effective  and durable tool which many of us prefer over the civilian packs because of the amount you can carry. It was replaced by 82 pattern. some ways better cause you can get into it easier, but can't carry more as comfortably.
Maybe, instead of a new style rucksack, they should have gotten better shoulder straps and padding for the back to make it more comfortable....Small thing makes it better, not a whole new system.

just my 2 bits...

Actually, hand held computer like a palm pilot with a GPS capability would be good too. Info such as FSOPs and current map data would be benifical.

But if it was made by the CF it would be a 40-pound green screen Apple 486 that would run out of juice every 2 hours, and wouldn't work in wet weather.

But if it was made by the CF it would be a 40-pound green screen Apple 486 that would run out of juice every 2 hours, and wouldn't work in wet weather.

And don't forget made in Quebec at four times the cost it could be to get it made by Texas Instruments....

LOL! This brings up memories of  those old pics of the old Army 'wireless phones'. 
They were so damn big they looked like they used a Motorcycle battery!  ;D

Cheers!
P.

combat_medic said:

<Apple never made a 486. The 486 is an Intel architecture chip.>

Oh man the last thing we need is something running a Windows operating system. :eek:

Cheers!
P.

This may be a silly question...

Does the Canadian Army have some sort of R&D group made up of Soldiers in the field that can test equpiment before, and even after production runs and contracts?  If not why not?

Cheers!
P.

Armymedic said:
Actually, hand held computer like a palm pilot with a GPS capability would be good too. Info such as FSOPs and current map data would be benifical.

I'm pretty sure I've seen guys around sqn that are trialling issued Blackberries. I don't know jack about Palms or Blackberries so I don't know their capabilities but I've heard the Blackberries are pretty good kit and the company is based in Waterloo Ontario.

Cheers

Ghost778 said:
Why do you hate the new radios da_man?

I dont know if they are the new ones, but im talking about this radio

photo01.jpg

I have yet to find a confortable way of carrying it and the long antena will whip anyone behind you  :mad:

Inch has touched on one piece of technology that is fairly available and quite useful for the support trades.  The Blackberry devices are available under a government wide standing offer.  Mine is strapped to my hip all of the time around the office, and usually at the squadron, and I even have used it in the field (both with cadets and with the PRes in my prior role).  As a functional piece of field support equipement for those on the sharp end, it doesn't go far enough.  In 2000 when working at NDHQ we were looking at a real time, wireless situational awareness system that could provide basic map functionality along with tracking of personnel and other resources (armour, air support, etc.) within a specific area od operations.  Trialed it Wainwright, Gagetown, and Pet.  It was a multi-purpose system and several other departments were also involved.  Eventually, the gear we were testing was deemed not suitable for the CF (although it held up well in the field).  Not sure if they have started a new project for the CF, but I know some departments on the civi side have adopted much of the technology for their security and safety systems.

The US Army has a solider systems directorate looking at and providing this gear, which is where we orginally got the trial units, but I'm nopt sure how far they've gone.  The basic unit had a handheld full colour display with a larger unit (about the size of the man pack radio) to be carried or veh mounted for platoon/company comnaders.  Let us see where troops of a specific section, pltn, coy, etc were based on the neds of the viewer.  Will see if I can find anyone working on this now for an update.

Da_man said:
I dont know if they are the new ones, but im talking about this radio

<snip deleted image of soldier with assault radio on back>

I have yet to find a confortable way of carrying it and the long antena will whip anyone behind you   :mad:

Lay it horizontal and strap it to the top of your butt pack underneath the top straps.

Alternatively, sling it separate and underneath your webbing (stops it from moving around as much).

Back