• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Currently reading The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell.
It is the latest instalment (so far) in his 'Warrior Chronicles', set in ninth and tenth century England.

Slide Rule, by Nevil Shute.  One would hope that it's mandatory reading for all aeronautical engineers.

dapaterson said:
Slide Rule, by Nevil Shute.  One would hope that it's mandatory reading for all aeronautical engineers.
...mandatory reading.....aeronautical engineers......reading    :rofl:

Tom Clancy's THREAT VECTOR - A scary but potentially real tale of world wide cyber espionage and all out cyber war. 

Almost finished the "Taliban don't wave" and have the "Battle of Salamis" with me for the flight home.

The Monuments Men
Slow going but I had made up my mind to read the book before seeing the movie.

Just picked up Pomeroy's Quay written by the MARLANT LogO Cdr George Forward. A healthy portion of the proceeds going to Camp Hill Veteran's Hospital in Halifax...bonus!

Pat

Colin P said:
.... the "Battle of Salamis" ....
At a glance, I thought this was about a fight between two charcuterie companies  :facepalm:

Forgot a couple of old paperbacks on the plane during a recent trip, so buying some of my previous faves and going to go through them again:
  • "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress"
  • "All Quiet on the Western Front"
  • "Starship Troopers"
  • "Ender's Game"
  • "Old Man's War"

Well to be fair it's not a name you hear much these days, written by Barry Strauss, heard good reviews about it either here or Tanknet.

Still reading Game of Thrones, book 5 (and it's taking me longer than the other four combined...  :-\) and also reading The Secret Servant by Daniel Silva.

Just starting "The War That Ended Peace,’ by Margaret MacMillan" , 700 plus pages of history.

How Did It All Happen?
‘The War That Ended Peace,’ by Margaret MacMillan, Sunday Book Review,
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/books/review/the-war-that-ended-peace-by-margaret-macmillan.html

Baden Guy said:
Just starting "The War That Ended Peace,’ by Margaret MacMillan" , 700 plus pages of history.

How Did It All Happen?
‘The War That Ended Peace,’ by Margaret MacMillan, Sunday Book Review,
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/books/review/the-war-that-ended-peace-by-margaret-macmillan.html

Heard a discussion on NPR today which included this author. They are doing a 2 part story which is a thought experiment about what the world would be like if Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand had not been assassinated, and WWI had not occurred. There were 2 other authors that had written counterfactual histories based on that assumption.

Just finished reading "Catastrophe: Europe goes to war 1914" http://www.amazon.ca/Catastrophe-1914-Max-Hastings/dp/0007467648/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395273884&sr=8-1&keywords=catastrophe+1914+europe+goes+to+war by one of my favourite writers  Max Hastings.

It covers how WWI started and the first year of the war.  I don't read a lot of WWI history and the stuff I have read is mostly Canadian based so I was not very familiar with the events that took place during the first year of the war.  I did not realise that the BEF was that screwed up and how lucky they were just to have survived.

If you are a fan of Max Hasting's writing or interested in WWI history I recommend this book.

About halfway through Bugles and a Tiger: My Life in the Gurkhas by John Masters
http://www.amazon.com/Bugles-Tiger-Gurkhas-Military-Paperbacks/dp/0304361569

I read The Road Past Mandalay years ago which covers his experiences in the old Indian Army in Iraq, Syria and Iran and then as a Brigade Major and acting Brigade Commander in the Chindits.

This is the prequel covering his time at Sandhurst and service as Subaltern in the 2nd Bn 4th Gurkhas. Fascinating read and his accounts of service on the NW frontier in the1930's should have been mandatory reading for anyone prior to deploying to Afghanistan. The tactics, ROEs, political interference etca re all too similar to what I've read on here and elsewhere about our involvement there.

dangerboy said:
About half way through "Bomber Command" by Max Hastings
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0760345201/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d3_i5?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YRWSQM4SG21D7Z2GX0B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1687860482&pf_rd_i=915398

It is the historical account of the RAF's Bomber Command during the second world war, led by Air Chief Marshal Sir Arthur Harris.  Much like all of the book I have read by Max Hastings I would recommend this one wholeheartedly.

That's a wonderful book.

I remember this part: "The pitiful prospects of surviving a tour of bomber operations were only matched in hazard on either side by the German U-boat crews."

Reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods.  Highly recommended if you have even a passing interest in world (especially Norse) mythology, but it straddles horror, fantasy, a bit of sci-fi (I guess) and standard "whodunnit". 

It won Best Novel in 2002 for fantasy, sci-fi and horror awards (Hugo, Nebula, Locus and Bram Stoker, amongst others), if that sways anyone.

milnews.ca said:
Just starting "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi - said to be "like Starship Troopers with more sex"  ;D

It's pretty good.  The Human Division by the same author is pretty good as well, although less sex.  :-\

If you (or anyone reading this) is a Trek fan, read his book Redshirts.

Back