• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Just finishing Friendly Fire by Michael Friscolanti. It is about the April 17, 2002, bombing of Tarnak Farm, Kandahar, in which 4 Canadians were killed by an american F-16 pilot.
Very interesting, covers the incident from many angles and perspectives, plus the findings of the investigations. :bullet:

I'm reading The Soul of Battle by Victor Davis Hanson. It follows the campaign of Epaminondas against the Spartans, Sherman's march to the sea and the 3rd Army under Patton. So far, it's pretty good if not a little optimistic about the power of democracy to motivate soldiers.

I am reading "The Bitter Harvest of War" - New Brunswick and the Conscription Crisis of 1917, author Andrew Theobald.  The publisher is Goose Lane Editions and the book is #11 in the New Brunswick Military Heritage Series.  Interesting read for those who like local history.......

Phantom Soldier and The Tiger's Way by John Poole.  Great books about how Eastern (Asian mostly) soldiers fight and why. Both are great reads.

Icon - Frederick Forsyth

Cold War era political/spy novel.  Highly recommend if you like that sort of thing.

Busy reading month (mind I was off sick for 3 days this week with nada to do)

Finished No Holding Back: Operation Totalize August 1944

For those unfamiliar with it Brian Reid a retired RCA Colonel and (member here) gives a good detailed account of the armoured thrust south from Caen to Falaise and pulls no punches on what went wrong, and why. He also disposes some myths on the battle pointing out it did achieve almost all its objectives, although there were many Command and Control issues due to the relative inexperience of some key Canadian commanders. Reid writes as a soldier and it’s easy to follow along for other soldiers. Also well illustrated with tactical maps and unit TO&E diagrams.

He also analyzes the death of German Panzer Ace Michael Whitman looking at all the evidence and comes up with new conclusions on how he died and who most likely killed him that will upset the accepted story of the last 60 years.

Also finished Generation Kill by Evan Wright I’ve watched the HBO series and the book  is  just as good. Naturally more detail including for those who say the series why some of the higher ups (Encino Man, Captain America) were such retards. Wright also has a post script on what happened to the major characters including who went back to Iraq.

Third down range was
Alternate Decisions of World War II Third Reich Victorious Ten Dynamic Scenarios in Which Hitler Wins the War Edited by Peter Tsouras. 10 military historians have offered what if scenarios that change the war. Surprisingly well done.

Scenarios include BEF not being evacuated at Dunkirk and Sea Lion being successful enough that PM Halifax (?) sues for peace. Germans win the Battle of Britain and terror bomb London enough that again the PM surrenders.

Others include the Germans jet aircraft defeating the bomber offensive, Turkey entering the war against the Soviets, and three with Rommel.  Two of them with him on the Ost Front in 1941 and then in 1944 (after winning in Normandy). The third is him winning against the 8th Army and driving all the way to Basra.

The most  interesting one though suggests that in WW 1 a young Adolf Hitler is convinced to join the German Navy and not the Army. He is wounded at Jutland and develops a pathological hatred of England and the RN that suppresses his anti Semitism. He also develops a friendship with a couple of junior officers Raeder and Doenitiz.

After the war everything else goes the same Weimer Republic, depression and Hitlers rise to power etc. However he concentrates on building a naval force including more U-Boats and 4 small carriers. Sept 1939 4 German carriers launch a Pearl Harbour type attack on Scapa Flow and U-Boat packs finish off most of the RN in UK waters. No RN and Sea Lion succeeds. A German scientist named Albert Einstein then offers the Kreigsmarine a new weapon and soon no more Russia.

This one ends with a Cold War between a German occupied Europe and the US and the rest of the British Empire in Exile based in Canada including a British Honduras (Belize) Missile Crisis in the 1960’s

I also have to confess I picked up and read Andy McNabb’s latest Nick Stone book to kill time on a train trip, about par for the series but better than staring out the window for 4 hours….almost.

Two new ones on the go now. Dave Grossman’s On Killing interesting if a bit dry  initially  and well covered here elsewhere. I also pulled off the shelf Herman Wouks two parter Winds of War (finished it last night) and War and Remembrance to tide me over until my new Amazon shipment gets in.

Alternate Decisions of World War II Third Reich Victorious Ten Dynamic Scenarios in Which Hitler Wins the War.

That looks like it would be a great read. I'll pick it up if I can.

-Dead

The Heart of Valor - by Tanya Huff

Third (I think) in a Sci-Fi series about Confederation Marines Gunnery Sargeant Torin Kerr.  In this volume she tries to keep a group of marine recruits alive on a training mission gone wrong.  Not bad so far but probably not your thing if you don't like military Sci-Fi.

cjr said:

Third (I think) in a Sci-Fi series about Confederation Marines Gunnery Sargeant Torin Kerr.  In this volume she tries to keep a group of marine recruits alive on a training mission gone wrong.  Not bad so far but probably not your thing if you don't like military Sci-Fi.

have you read any other books in that series? I was looking at this one at Chapters and wasn't sure about it.

Ex-Dragoon said:
have you read any other books in that series? I was looking at this one at Chapters and wasn't sure about it.

I have read all of them.  Huff (who is Canadian) usually writes fantasy and my wife buys all her stuff.  I enjoyed them.  She is a good writer but the circumstances in the books are sometimes a bit contrived.  I.e. they keep ending up in situations where the only hope is the squad of marines on the ground and no one in space can drop anything on the bad guys.  The characters seem realistic (though I've not served in a military unit so you may have to take that with some salt) and the interplay between the species that serve the Confederation as combat forces is interesting.

I would say check out the first one and see if you like it.  Keep in mind though that the books are told from a marine point of view so the navy does take a bit of bashing.

Betty and Veronica's Double Digest... not a very light read, considering it's a "double" digest!!  Will Archie ever learn?

BinRat55 said:
Betty and Veronica's Double Digest... not a very light read, considering it's a "double" digest!!  Will Archie ever learn?

:rofl:

Reading The Dream of Eagles series from Jack Whyte........again.  :)

Jihad, a history of Islam in Central Asia mainly focused on post Soviet Union

Also a rather thick and clean brand new Range Rover repair manual.

Several for me:  Hoorah for OPMEs.

A Military History of Canada:  Desmond Morton

War and Society in Post-Confederation Canada: Keshen and Durflinger

Destinies - Canadian History Since Confederation:  Francis, Jones and Smith

cjr said:

I have read all of them.  Huff (who is Canadian) usually writes fantasy and my wife buys all her stuff.  I enjoyed them.  She is a good writer but the circumstances in the books are sometimes a bit contrived.  I.e. they keep ending up in situations where the only hope is the squad of marines on the ground and no one in space can drop anything on the bad guys.  The characters seem realistic (though I've not served in a military unit so you may have to take that with some salt) and the interplay between the species that serve the Confederation as combat forces is interesting.

I would say check out the first one and see if you like it.  Keep in mind though that the books are told from a marine point of view so the navy does take a bit of bashing.

Hope your happy I picked up the first two in omnibus formate at Chapters this weekend lol

they are a good read, I think in the authors note in the first book she mentions that her father was a WO and thats where she gets some of her information and based the first book around the scenario in the movie about the famous British batte with the Zulu.

I just finished The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, pretty well thought out book, interesting and fun to read... some conclusions are a little odd though. Not to mention I shouldn't have been reading the "historical" accounts second half of the book just before bed :)

now reading the Gosple of the Flying Spagetti Monster... not as funny as I was expecting.

I'm reading "I am America (and so can you)" By Steven Colbert. It is a really funny
c_canuk said:
I just finished The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks,
Sounds interesting, is it an easy to find book?

traviss-g said:
interesting, is it an easy to find book?

Yep, it's been a big seller. I've read World War Z which was pretty good and by the same guy but not this one. I'll probably get it later, but I "did" enjoy the one I read quite a bit.

I'm reading both The History of the Second World War by B.H. Liddell Hart and Self-Destruction: The Disintegration and Decay of the United States Army during the Vietnam Era by Cincinnatus at the same time.

Back